Thinking about getting a dirt bike... need advice

Corban_White

Anytime you are ready to try a few bikes just let me know. There is even a little dirt track a few blocks away we can ride on if you want. I have fridays off. (however tomorrow night I have a campout with the scouts) Should be home most of saturday afternoon.

Caleb

Another option that I completely forgot about is the Pitsterpro bikes. I've ran across a few up AFC and they look like they'd be really fun. You could pretty much buy brand new and not have to worry about inheriting someone else's problem.

I'm thinking about picking up a small bike for a screw around bike and the pitster is on my short list. :)

sixstringsteve

the biggest pitsterpro looks kinda fun.

In all my research online, I think I'm leaning towards a trials bike with a long range kit. It'll only go 40-70 miles, but I think it'd be fun to get into trials and maybe compete. 5MOH looks like an awesome trail, and I think I prefer technical trails to WOT riding, so a trials bike would make much more sense. I'm running into two problems with trials bikes though:

1) they're freaking expensive
2) they're tough/impossible to covert to street-legal, depending on the model

SportSawyer

An older trials bike, like a Yamaha TY250 or TY175 can be made street legal, and the older bikes had seats and could be ridden sitting down. I see them from time to time on KSL ads.

Honda made a street legal version of the TLR200 trials bike called a Reflex that was sold in the US. They didn't sell the TLR200 & TLR250 competition trials bikes in the US. I see Honda Reflexes occasionally for sale on KSL ads. Most people tend to hang onto them though... nice little trail bikes. Here's a 1986 Reflex:

TLR200-2.jpg

I wouldn't waste a modern trials bike by trying to make it street legal. It'd become less usable for trials competition, and it'd not be very good for even around town riding.

Also, you'll want to get some real experience on easier trails before riding trails like 5MOH.

Looking back at your criteria, an XR200 made street legal looks like it fits the bill. The Reflex would be about perfect, but they're a lot harder to find. You can always get a trials bike after you've ridden for a while.

SportSawyer

FWIW, I'd steer clear of the 1984 & 1985 XR200Rs linked above.

Those years had a sleeved-down XR250R RFV engine with dual carbs. They were much heavier than the 2-valve 200 engine that was the basis of earlier / later (than 1984 / 1985) XR200s and TLR200s. The dual carbs were a huge pain in the rear. The bike was a heavy pig compared to XR200s of other years.

There's a reason the RFV dual-carb XR200s were only made for 2 years.

sixstringsteve

cool, thanks guys. I need to sell my miata before I pull the trigger (or I need to sell more toy parts). But this info is really helpful.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I'd be all over this one if I was in the market. Although the were removed from this one all KDX 200's are wired for a headlight and tail light factory. I'm guessing because of the price it may have a weaker top end or something--maybe not. If it shifts good and the clutch feels good it would be worth it. I like to freshen up the topend and clean powervalves any time I buy a used 2T anyway....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15246030&cat=236&lpid=&search=kawasaki

Caleb

would a trials bike be fun up AF canyon, or would it suck?
I don't think it would be that fun. There isn't much in terms of obstacles that a trials bike would be fun on, while staying on the trail. Unless you got one of the older ones with a seat and used it like a trail bike.

sixstringsteve

I'd be all over this one if I was in the market. Although the were removed from this one all KDX 200's are wired for a headlight and tail light factory. I'm guessing because of the price it may have a weaker top end or something--maybe not. If it shifts good and the clutch feels good it would be worth it. I like to freshen up the topend and clean powervalves any time I buy a used 2T anyway....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15246030&cat=236&lpid=&search=kawasaki

wow, that seems like a killer deal. I can turn a wrench, but I'm pretty new to rebuilding engines. Is that something a weekend warrior garage mechanic like me could handle?

Last edited: