Thinking about getting a dirt bike... need advice

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
wow, that seems like a killer deal. I can turn a wrench, but I'm pretty new to rebuilding engines. Is that something a weekend warrior garage mechanic like me could handle?

Topends (piston, head and cylinder)are pretty easy to do--I'm sure you are more than capable of it it can take less than an hour or two with basic tools. Bottom ends (clutch, crank, transmission) take a bit of time, but if you keep your parts organized and everything clean its not terrible.

I have bought a lot of cheap bikes like that and many have turned out great for little to no money. Most of the time I find a weaker top end or neglected suspension and/or just plain ugly looks (like the one Greg picked up). Topends usually involve replacing the piston and rings and boring/re-plating the cylinder if need be. If its totally wiped out it can cost about $400. The KDX will have a nikasil liner in the cylinder which usually lasts a very long time so you can get by with a piston and/or rings for just over $100 including everything. Its a good idea to pull the top end off the motor to clean the power valve once a season (exhaust port valves inside the cylinder) anyway and by doing this you get a great idea of what the piston and cylinder condition is. Signs of a worn top end are low compression or excessive top end noise/clatter.

As for suspension. The forks are usually reliable, but the seals can leak. Depending on how long they've been leaking it can do some internal damage. The seals and oil are very easy to change on a KDX. You'll know they are leaking once oil starts running down the fork leg. As for the rear a lot of people neglect the rear suspension linkage bearings. It is composed of a few needle bearings, and if not cared for they become dry and eventually seize up. A good way to tell is to listen for squeaks and check for binding/slop when you bounce up and down on it.

Anyway all you could do is ride it and see how it acts. There's also a good chance all you'd have to do is put in gas and go. Its hard to say without seeing it. As long as there are no transmission problems its a good deal imo. As for the erratic idle if the compression is good getting it to idle right shouldn't be difficult at all. The PWK carb is very easy to tune and trouble shoot.

Last edited:

plaidfro

wow, that seems like a killer deal. I can turn a wrench, but I'm pretty new to rebuilding engines. Is that something a weekend warrior garage mechanic like me could handle?

That bike would be an ideal bike to get started with at that price. Don't let ugly plastics deter you... you can buy all new plastics from RockyMountain ATV, FRPoffroad.com, or even bikebandit.com if OEM is needed. For basics I could see needing some good bark busters to save your levers, an oversized skid plate to protect the bottom of the bike, and make sure there are Heavy Duty Tubes in the tires. You really couldn't go wrong with that bike if it fires right up and runs decently through the gears.

You will be WAY happier with the suspension on an bike made in 2000 than you would with ANY bike made in the 80's.

sixstringsteve

Yeah, I don't care about ugly plastics, especially if it saves me $. Hm... I called and he said he has someone coming to look at it on Saturday. We'll see if it's still around when I sell the miata. But that's exactly the type of deal/price/bike I'd be looking at.

sixstringsteve

It looks like it costs about $500 for all the parts to make it street legal. Do you think I'd be better off getting one that already has a headlight and tailight?

Last edited:

plaidfro

It looks like it costs about $500 for all the parts to make it street legal. Do you think I'd be better off getting one that already has a headlight and tailight?

I would think that even with having to drop $500 to add a dual sport kit you'd still be a good price for a street legal bike. Most OK bikes that are dual are going to be above $1500 from what I've seen. $2000 for a decent one.

sixstringsteve

I'm thinking I'm going to pass on this kdx200. The owner sent me some higher res pics, and it looks like it's had a hard life. The shifter has a bolt welded to it for your toe to grab on (rather than the rubber coated shifter bar), the forks, rear swingarm, and other parts are scratched a LOT, and the exhaust has huge dents in it from hitting rocks. I think I'd rather pay $1200-1500 for a clean one than $600 for a beater.

sixstringsteve

already sold :(

I hate it when people don't pull their ads once they've sold. Oh well, I can keep waiting for the right deal. That seems like a perfect bike for me though. Killer price too.

plaidfro

already sold :(

I hate it when people don't pull their ads once they've sold. Oh well, I can keep waiting for the right deal. That seems like a perfect bike for me though. Killer price too.

I have seen plenty of CRF230F's on the market at great prices... not because they are bad bikes, but because of two things; lots of dad's getting them for their teenage sons and eventually their sons outgrow the bike and move up to a larger 250 or 450... and the second reason is a lot of husbands buy that bike for their wives, but they eventually sell them cause the wife never took any interest in riding.

Motofrugals in Orem has a CRF230F either an '04 or '05 for $1200. You'd need to put on the dual sport kit though.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I have seen plenty of CRF230F's on the market at great prices... not because they are bad bikes, but because of two things; lots of dad's getting them for their teenage sons and eventually their sons outgrow the bike and move up to a larger 250 or 450... and the second reason is a lot of husbands buy that bike for their wives, but they eventually sell them cause the wife never took any interest in riding.

Motofrugals in Orem has a CRF230F either an '04 or '05 for $1200. You'd need to put on the dual sport kit though.

I might have to pick up a CRF230F for my wife, she keeps giving be grief for selling her bike. That $1200 price is real good for a newer bike, I paid $900 for a older, beat TTR250 and I thought we got a good deal!

Corban_White

Come over and try out my wife's bike before you pull the trigger Steve. We were looking at the 230 but found it lacking in many ways so we ended up with a much better solution. More power than the 230 with a lower seat height, lighter and better suspension.

plaidfro

Come over and try out my wife's bike before you pull the trigger Steve. We were looking at the 230 but found it lacking in many ways so we ended up with a much better solution. More power than the 230 with a lower seat height, lighter and better suspension.

With the 230 I would definately recommend the Power Now Carb kit, uncorking the exhaust, pulling the air restrictor and rejetting accordingly... the 230 really wakes up with those simple mods.

Caleb

You guys do realize the 230 weighs within a few pounds of the 450s, right? Half the power and all the weight, the 230 is kind of a waste IMO. Like Corban said. :)