Thinking about getting a dirt bike... need advice

sixstringsteve

What do you guys think about these? I've got a guy coming to look at my miata tonight. If he gets it, then I'll be in a position to get a dirt bike.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15289801&cat=236&lpid=&search=exc
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15182336&cat=236&lpid=&search=exc
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15153514&cat=236&lpid=&search=exc

Do I want to hold out for an '05-06 KTM EXC? I heard they had an upgraded suspension for those years. I think I'd like the 125 or the 200. Either one should be a blast.

Can you guys help me understand the differences between the SX, EXC, etc?

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Did I offend someone with my KTM comments? Looks like my post was deleted :confused:

SX = Motocross MXC or XC = Moto/Cross country (sort of a mix) and EXC = Enduro/Cross country. The MXC/XC's have always been right in there between a dedicated MX bike and the Enduro bikes. The MXC/XC can run headlights as well but the gearbox is a closer ratio than the EXC (not a deal breaker though) unless you get the later XC-W's. All are great but the EXC's just come with more accessories for the trail like a kickstand, headlights etc...

I would jump on that 03 200. That was the first year of that body style and the handling and ergo's were improved a bit. Not sure about the 200's but most KTM's received a higher output stator as well.

EDIT: DId you see this one? http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15413277&cat=236&lpid=&search=KDX

sixstringsteve

thanks Rot Box. RME had a hacker yesterday, and they lost every post from last night.

Yeah, I've been texting that guy in Vernal with that kdx. I need to get out and ride one and see how I like it.

I don't see myself taking up dirt biking as my main hobby. I'm thinking I'll head out once or twice a month. So I'm debating how much I want to spend on it...

today's thought is: kdx 200, xr200, or exc 200

rholbrook

Rot Box, you offend everyone. Well, thats what I have heard anyway. :)

Actually, can you buy a bad bike now days? I like the KTMs and nearly bought me one. All the models they have can be confusing though. Make sure you have the wide ratio gear box.

My only recommendation is that you may be better off to start with a bike that already has a headlight. This means that it should already have a stator that should be able to power the taillight and blinkers. If it was me, I would get the 300, thats one hell of a bike. The 200 could end up being a little pipier than you may like. What this means is you may have to keep the rpm up to stay in the power. This makes it more difficult to ride in tighter trails. The 300 you can lug the hell out of it.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15276349&cat=&lpid=0&search=wr250

This is the bike I would get (or one like it) I prefer the 450, but for a smaller guy this would be awesome!
I ride AF single track a ton on a yz250 (2 stroke). I am very experienced and am rather good on trails, but I often find myself using to much clutch to try and climb some hills slow enough, but with enough power. Go for the 4 stoke if possible. the WR250 is a good bike

sixstringsteve

The TW200 are sweet bikes and have a serious following behind them. Do a little searching on them and you'll find guys doing major trails (TAC, etc) on them. We had some in my driving class we got to play around on.

could one of these handle most of the trails up AF canyon? could it handle trails like hell's revenge, poison spider, etc?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I am now ready to sale my bike. A 2003 drz400e. Street legal and ready to run. $2500. Could use paint or new plastic as the po painted it and it's pealing. This was my first ever bike. I found it very easy to learn on. I'll be sad to sale it, but ORI struts are next on the list.

plaidfro

Me personally would never enjoy the offroad ride of a TW200. I've seen guys ride them and have only seen that their specialty niche appeals to hunters.

I guess you could throw it into the category like a Rokon, or a Fat Cat, Big Cat, Big Wheel or whatever they call them. I can assure you that its not what you are looking for. You have good options listed with the kdx 200, xr200, or exc 200.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
I don't see myself taking up dirt biking as my main hobby. I'm thinking I'll head out once or twice a month. So I'm debating how much I want to spend on it...

:eek: Uh huh.... Well best of luck with that! Give it time and you'll be hooked to the point where its all you think about day or night ;) Some rides are so good they are worth quitting a job, ditching the 4x4 or even leaving a wife over :D

Oh crap! she was watching me type that :ugh:

Caleb

Me personally would never enjoy the offroad ride of a TW200. I've seen guys ride them and have only seen that their specialty niche appeals to hunters.
I wouldn't say that. There's a HUGE following of them. Adv guys that want smaller bikes love them. Do a little research on them and like I mentioned before, guys have ran all the epic trails in America on them. Personally, I wouldn't enjoy one...especially not as my primary bike. They are small, slow, and under powered (for me). It may be what you are looking for though. It would do just fine and handle any of the trails up AFC.

The comparison to a Fat Cat, Rokon, etc is a bit more accurate. They are a trail bike that's street legal. They are not a MX bike or anything bred from a MX bike and there's no mistaking that.

sixstringsteve

:eek: Uh huh.... Well best of luck with that! Give it time and you'll be hooked to the point where its all you think about day or night ;) Some rides are so good they are worth quitting a job, ditching the 4x4 or even leaving a wife over :D

That'd be fun if it got to that point, except I won't be ditching my wife for it. Some wives would definitely be worth ditching for it, but not mine.

Who knows, maybe I get totally hooked. I'm trying not to convince myself that I need a really nice bike when I probably won't. Thanks for the suggestions guys. it probably seems like I'm all over the board, but I'm learning a lot and you guys have given me a ton of good feedback.

The miata didn't sell, but I'm still keeping my eye out.

sixstringsteve

This is the type of riding/pace that I'm interested in (plus the occasional technical, rocky climb):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IflxIP0XSzQ
[YOUTUBE]IflxIP0XSzQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last time I rode up there, there was a technical trail that went from forest lake up to the ridge. It was technical because it had these little 8-12" shelves of logs (to control runoff). That was a tough trail to get up, and that's why I want a lightweight, nimble bike.

rholbrook

I ran into a guy riding the backside of Willard Peak on a TW225 with his rifle slung over his shoulder. He was looking for turkeys. That bike did just fine, took him where he needed to go. I would be leary of cutting the tire on it but my BIL has two of them and has never had the issue.

sixstringsteve

Ok, I found an old bike from the 80s that I want. Only catch is, the owner doesn't have the title. He says I just go to the DMV and order a duplicate title. Teach me about motorycle titles. Am I crazy to buy it without a title?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I would say yes, money without the title? Unless it's like 100 bucks make him get the title or you do the paperwork and get it, then pay the man to release the bike

rholbrook

It may not of had a title originally back then. With it being that old and off-road only it could have had a MSO Manufacturers Statement of Origin back then. If he was the original owner or purchased it a long time ago if may not have a title. Tell him that based on it getting a title you will buy it from him but make him go with you if you can.

sixstringsteve

he's selling it for a friend who lives in Vernal. I think the reflex was imported as a street legal bike. So it sounds like the title was never in his name. He made me think it had a title, but that he didn't have it.