Thinking about getting a dirt bike... need advice

sixstringsteve

now he says they didn't require titles in '87. If they didn't come with titles, do I need anything other than a billl of sale? What if I want to get it registered on the road?

sixstringsteve

cool, I'll call the DMV. He doesn't have the MSO. He'll just give me a bill of sale, then I can request a duplicate title from the DMV. I'll know more when I call them. Thanks for the timely responses everyone.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
If it's what you want I'd jump on it. Check the vin with the DMV before you pull the trigger--just to make sure it's not stolen or anything. Collect every last piece of information you can from the seller(s) and owner(s) and save it. I got myself into a mess awhile back with 2 stolen bikes and it was NOT fun at all :-\ Luckily I had a large paper trail and I came out of it a lot better than I could have... Anyway whether it came with a title from the factory or not is not important being that its older than 91. Whether the vin has been reported stolen or if it has a lien on it still is important and you'll want to do your best to find out.

I agree this bike may leave you wanting more, but given the price and the popularity of these things I really don't think you are going to be stuck with it. I'd be willing to bet you'd make money if you decided to part ways. It would be a great single track bike and it wouldn't be bad to putt around town on--high speed desert is another story :D

sixstringsteve

It sold before I got off work today :(

THey're going for $1500 in good shape, so I figured I could ride it for a few months, see how addicted I got, then move up from there. Oh well, there will be more, but I doubt they'll be that cheap.

774x4ram

It sold before I got off work today :(

Thats the thing about bikes that are a good deal on KSL they go quick, when me and my brother's were buying bikes some that I called on sold in like a 1/2 an hour it was crazy, you got to have cash and jump on it when you find one that you like. Any way good luck with the hunt, and it's not if you get addicted to bikes it's when ;)

sixstringsteve

yeah, I guess I need a job where I can just drop every meeting and project I'm on so I can go buy a bike before it's sold. Unfortunately I can't be watching KSL every 5 min like some people out there. I just hope the new owner bought it to use, rather than to flip it.

774x4ram

yeah, I guess I need a job where I can just drop every meeting and project I'm on so I can go buy a bike before it's sold. Unfortunately I can't be watching KSL every 5 min like some people out there. I just hope the new owner bought it to use, rather than to flip it.

Yeah I know right, I work construction and I am not usually near my computer until the evenings it took me several months to find the 2 bikes for my brothers it was such a pain weeding through all of the junk on KSL and finding decent bikes that were still for sale by the time I could call on them.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Just work swing shift and browse the classifieds with the smartphone every two seconds--that's my secret--that's also the reason I have no life! :-\ Well it was working good until I missed a clean KTM550 2T for $300 last week :rolleyes:

Patience Danielson the right one will come ;)

sixstringsteve

I realize it's like getting a bone stock sami to go rockcrawling. It won't be the best thing out there, but for the price I can always get my money back, and i can get my feet wet while learning how to become a better rider. I think it'll be a good gateway bike, and I'm sure I'll have a ton of fun on it. :D

Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll update you as I ride it a bit. I still think something like a kdx200 or an exc 200 would be the perfect little trail bike for me. But this one is the price of a baja designs kit, so I can't go wrong there.

sixstringsteve

thanks. I'll be back in this thread when I decide I need something with more oomph, and I'll have a more educated guess of what I need then. Thanks everyone.

Caleb

This is the type of riding/pace that I'm interested in (plus the occasional technical, rocky climb):

FWIW, this is about the pace that I usually ride. Speed is fun but I'd rather enjoy the ride and the scenery around me. Also, AFC is by far my favorite place to ride. Now that you have a bike, you'll have to hit some trails with us. :)

sixstringsteve

The owner is out of town until tomorrow night. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

Caleb, I would love to ride with you and all the other guys on here. Hit me up when you're heading out next.

Ill keed advice on safety gear. As far as I understand, ill need a helmet, gloves, boots, and a chest protector, in order of importance. Am I right in this thinking? I can't afford the best gear, so I need some tips on what's ok to go cheap and used on and what isnt? Where should I get this stuff?