Thinking about getting a dirt bike... need advice

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Steve you have got me looking and I am digging a klx 250s... but I don't think I can afford it, but I have a wish list.

Caleb

For gear...first place to look is in the clearance bins. Go hit up some of the motorcycle shops as well as Cycle Gear in Draper (11400 S. State Street, right off the freeway). Cycle Gear has great deals all the time. IMO, forget the chest protector and get some body armor. Something that will protect your chest and well as your arms. I ran all last season without anything and ended up with bruised elbows quite a bit from hitting trees, wrecking, etc. I bought this and used it yesterday. I have no complaints about it and for the price it's tough to beat. I can save you a few bucks if you go that route. Personally, I'd put boots before gloves. Gloves will prevent you from skinning your hands, but boots will prevent you from breaking an ankle or a foot usually (yes, I did break my foot while wearing my boots, but I can't imagine what it would have done if I didn't have my boots on). I've rode the last two seasons with the Oneal Element boots. Nothing special and they are right around $100. Check out the ARC boots from RMATV. Again, I can save you a few bucks if you decide to go with them. From what I've seen of the ARC boots, I've been impressed. For helmets, try on as many as you can. No two heads are the same and so the helmets will all feel different. I usually wear an XL helmet, but my current helmet is a Fox and it's a XXL, but it feels very nice. So try on as many as you can. There's nothing wrong with buying last seasons gear, it will save you some cash. However, I personally would never buy used gear...even if I knew the history of it.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I found my jersey and pants on Ksl for 25 (for both) rocky mountain had some budget gloves for $8 that are my favorite gloves and I have 4 pairs.....also got "last season" tusk atv boots from rmatv for $75 I think and I love them! If you get boots, get riding socks! they're like $6 at rocky mountain and they're way better than normal socks for riding! Also, since you'll prob be on trails mostly, I'd look into atv boots over mx boots because they have beefy tread on the bottom. I've been places where my buddies w/ their mx boots can't walk up hills or stand on rocks well and it's no problem for me. rocky mountain always has last years pants and jerseys on clearance for CHEAP too. I'd go in there and just ask about the clearance stuff and you can prob walk away w/ pants, jersey, gloves, goggles, and maybe a helmet for around $100-120 total. (that's what we did for my wife's gear)

plaidfro

Congrats on the bike... if it starts fine, engine sounds good, and shifts through the gears well then you got a nice deal for a street legal off-road bike. now you can afford to get set up with some decent riding gear.

Again Congrats... and the nice thing to know is that when you are ready to 'upgrade' to another bike down the road you can basically sell it for what you paid, possibly more.

sixstringsteve

Thanks guys. What are the benefits of pants and jersey? I have gloves already, but I don't have anything else. I don't care if stuff a

Caleb

I don't use a jersey, I just wear my body armor. The benefit to pants is they are made to fit with the boots. They also usually have a leather patch on the right leg for the exhaust.

As for boots, I wouldn't use ATV boots, they are shorter and don't provide the same support. You can get motorcycle boots that have the same soles as the ATV boots, that is a great point though about the soles. Like I mentioned, the ARC boots have the ATV style sole. Same with most of the Alpinestars, Oneals, Sidi, etc.

YOUKNOW

FWIW Steve, buy a really good, trusted name brand helmet. Like Caleb said go for last seasons stuff so it is cheaper. Last seasons good helmets may be more expensive then this seasons cheap helmets, but it will be worth it. A good helmet will protect your brain and head. I have seen, and am sure others have seen crappy helmets split in half after a crash. Your wife will appreciate it.

Caleb

That really depends. Your biggest expense will be the boots. But jersey (if you decide to use one), pants, and body armor will all be around the same cost as the boots if you can find something you like in the clearance bins. Then helmets can vary, my first helmet was $40 (normally $130) it was a Fly Racing helmet, my second (and current) helmet was $180 (normally $379) it's a Fox. I'd say you should be able to get everything for $150-$200. Search the deals and find the bargains. Obviously though, as I'm sure you are aware, you can easily blow that budget, my current pants were $90, on sale from $130, my next boots will be the Sidi Crossfires at $500, etc...easy to get out of control with gear.

sixstringsteve

Yeah. I'm stretching to afford the bike as it is, So I at least need a helmet before I take it on any trails. My parents have on I can borrow for now, but I can't afford much till the miata sells. Thanks again for.the tips.

Caleb

Yeah. I'm stretching to afford the bike as it is, So I at least need a helmet before I take it on any trails. My parents have on I can borrow for now, but I can't afford much till the miata sells. Thanks again for.the tips.
If you don't mind wearing an SM style helmet, I have one that's nearly brand new you can have for free. It's a bit small for me, I can get it on but after a couple minutes, I end up with a headache. The SM style is super nice to have for on-road riding.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I didn't realize that the atv boots are the shorter ones....I guess I have the motorcycle boots -with the tread. ya, definitely don't get the shorter boots! but do get the tread! BTW, I like the bike! We looked at one of those for katelyn when we were looking and I actually really liked it! it was a little over our budget so we didn't get it though. You got a steal! I think it felt a lot like her 200 does...probably a little more power, but with the added weight, kind of a wash. You'll like it!

sixstringsteve

I picked the bike up last night. It looks like it'll be a lot of fun. He'd done all the mods I wanted to do (removed the snorkel, freed up the exhaust, smaller sprocket in front, re-jetted for our altitude). It's got a dead battery, but he gave me a brand new battery and a brand new rear tire.

I'm really pleased with it, he took excellent care of it. I can get close to flat foot on each side, which will really up my confidence as I learn to ride. I feel like I got a steal, and I'm really excited to take it out. The best part is that he also sold me his Fox F3 boots and a really nice helmet for $120, barely used. So now I have boots, gloves, and a helmet.

Then I headed over to Corbin's and he hooked me up with some bump stops, another helmet with a face shield (perfect for street riding), and some brush guards. Thank you so much Corbin! I'll definitely be ordering one of those wearable armour padded shirts from you in the near future.

I'm tempted to go riding soon, but I need to get my truck done first, or else it's just going to sit incapacitated for a while. I need to learn about getting my motorcycle's driver's license so I can commute to work. I was enjoying the 31 MPG from my miata, but 80 MPG sounds even better :D

Thanks again for all the input guys. I'll get some pics up later today.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'm tempted to go riding soon, but I need to get my truck done first, or else it's just going to sit incapacitated for a while. I need to learn about getting my motorcycle's driver's license so I can commute to work. I was enjoying the 31 MPG from my miata, but 80 MPG sounds even better :D

Thanks again for all the input guys. I'll get some pics up later today.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/dld/motorcycle.html

Motorcycle handbook
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/dld/documents/2010MotorcyclehandbookUtah.pdf1_000.pdf

I got mine when I turned 16 and I've just renewed it every time I had to renew my license. I've never owned a motorcycle, but some day I will... :spork:

plaidfro

Thanks guys. What are the benefits of pants and jersey? I have gloves already, but I don't have anything else. I don't care if stuff a

regarding pants - go with the over the boot style pants... not the in the boot style. After your first good stream crossing on the trail you will find out why.