Thinking about getting a dirt bike... need advice

YOUKNOW

IMHO anything less than a new 250f is gonna get old real soon. I think you will be able to manage the taller bike it will just take some seat time. You need to go ride a bike like rholbrook's or caleb's and see how it feels. I have a feeling after about a month that's what you will be after anyways.

I agree with the 250f comment. 4 strokes are much easier to ride for a newer rider than a two stroke. For trail riding and everything else you listed, it will be a nicer ride, no fouled plugs in the middle of a trail either. I would do the 250f with a lowering link as mentioned earlier in the thread by Caleb, and if that is not enough, you can take a electric turkey knife and trim the seat down. If that is not enough for your short legs, trim the sub-frame down by cutting a few inches out and weld it back together. A lot of shorter riders do this.I am pretty sure you know how to weld at this point, so it will not be a big deal for you to do.

sixstringsteve

man, a scorpa t-ride looks like it would be awesome for me. Too bad I'll never find one in the US, and if I do it won't be under $8k.

Caleb

IMHO anything less than a new 250f is gonna get old real soon. I think you will be able to manage the taller bike it will just take some seat time. You need to go ride a bike like rholbrook's or caleb's and see how it feels. I have a feeling after about a month that's what you will be after anyways.
I won't be able to get out riding again for about three weeks, but if you'd like, you are more than welcome to come ride around on my bike. Even if you wanted to just meet out at 5 mile, I'd be happy to let you take it for a spin. :) FWIW, my bike is a CRF450X, but I have a sissy clutch in so it's very easy to ride...it even makes me look like I know what I'm doing at times :rofl:

Caleb

Here is a WR under $2k

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=15233888&cat=236&lpid=&search=250

Not in the best of shape esthetically, but you will crash it anyways. I bet it has barely been riden, the stock rear sprocket is still on it.

On another note, Your truck is from Idaho, may as well make the bike from Idaho as well!
Good deal for that WR. I believe 2003 is the first year of electric start on those bikes. I was super tempted to pick up Greg's 2003 WR250F when he had that for sale just to have a second bike.

rholbrook

I agree with the 250f comment. 4 strokes are much easier to ride for a newer rider than a two stroke. For trail riding and everything else you listed, it will be a nicer ride, no fouled plugs in the middle of a trail either. I would do the 250f with a lowering link as mentioned earlier in the thread by Caleb, and if that is not enough, you can take a electric turkey knife and trim the seat down. If that is not enough for your short legs, trim the sub-frame down by cutting a few inches out and weld it back together. A lot of shorter riders do this.I am pretty sure you know how to weld at this point, so it will not be a big deal for you to do.

Have you ridden a WR or CRFx, there is no cushion to trim off. Thats why Greg added padding to his WR. You are literally riding a 1x4 with a cover.

Put in a lowering link until you feel comfortable and then raise it back up as you feel more comfortable. Come ride my WR450. As many have said before including myself, don't go below a 250. If you like oil burners because of the weight difference, add a flywheel weight to make it more trailable. Small 2 strokers tend to be too pipey. You have to really get on them to ride trails.

I am going to be honest with you, if you ride a big wheeled TTR125, your going to get teased. Thats a great bike for your wife or kids but not an adult male. I have a friend that is about your size and he will ride 99% of us riders into the ground and he rides a full sized RMF250. You will get used to riding what ever you decide to ride.

Come up to my house and I will get you can ride on a street legal lowered CRF250X and then you can ride a street legal full-sized WR450.

YOUKNOW

I won't be able to get out riding again for about three weeks, but if you'd like, you are more than welcome to come ride around on my bike. Even if you wanted to just meet out at 5 mile, I'd be happy to let you take it for a spin. :) FWIW, my bike is a CRF450X, but I have a sissy clutch in so it's very easy to ride...it even makes me look like I know what I'm doing at times :rofl:

Sissy clutch? A rekluse or something similar? Those are rad, they are worth every penny IMO. Steve, an automatic clutch might be on your first purchase list.

rholbrook

Sissy clutch? A rekluse or something similar? Those are rad, they are worth every penny IMO. Steve, an automatic clutch might be on your first purchase list.

Calebs a sissy, Calebs a sissy...wait, Russ and Caleb are sissys.

Steve's first purchase is a lowering link, his second purchase is a Revloc Dyna-ring. Caleb or I will install it for you. Will only take 10 minutes to install it.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Small 2 strokers tend to be too pipey. You have to really get on them to ride trails.

I am going to be honest with you, if you ride a big wheeled TTR125, your going to get teased. Thats a great bike for your wife or kids but not an adult male.

You will get used to riding what ever you decide to ride.

As for the second statement: I'm glad someone finally mentioned it! LOL :D

KDX200's are about as small as you can go 2T wise without being pipey. Any of the 125cc motocross bikes (until recently nobody made a competitive 125cc XC bike) have to be wound up tighter than you are going to feel comfortable with. The powerband is just too difficult to work with on the trail for a new rider. I've toyed with the idea of building a trail 125 with motor work and lots of flywheel weight, but I'm still trying to decide if its a good idea or not lol :-\

YOUKNOW

Calebs a sissy, Calebs a sissy...wait, Russ and Caleb are sissys.

Steve's first purchase is a lowering link, his second purchase is a Revloc Dyna-ring. Caleb or I will install it for you. Will only take 10 minutes to install it.

Yeah, that is why I put first purchase list, not just first purchase.

I have never ridden a WR, only a CRFX a couple of times. Never owned a CRFX. You are right about the WR, just looked at the KSL ad, and the WR seat is very slim.

sixstringsteve

I am going to be honest with you, if you ride a big wheeled TTR125, your going to get teased. Thats a great bike for your wife or kids but not an adult male. I have a friend that is about your size and he will ride 99% of us riders into the ground and he rides a full sized RMF250. You will get used to riding what ever you decide to ride.

Come up to my house and I will get you can ride on a street legal lowered CRF250X and then you can ride a street legal full-sized WR450.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll get teased, but I don't really care about that. I don't think I'm the typical rider who wants more and more speed, but who knows. You guys have way more experience than me, so I'm going to trust you.

I'm 100% sure I"m uncomfortable riding a stock height wr450, even if I'm just riding it around the block. It's WAY too much bike for me, and I can't even tippy-toe on one. My neighbor has one, and he's tried to talk me into one a few times. If they were my size, I think a wr250F would rock, but they're just way too big for me.

I would like to try a lowred crf250x though, that sounds like a fun bike.

Caleb

The 250X would be a great bike. MattL on here has one and I think he's really enjoyed it. However, I doubt you'll find an X within your budget. You could probably find an R (CRF-R) within your budget since they have been made for a bit longer than the X but the R is a MX bike.

YOUKNOW said:

Yeah, as Russ mentioned, we both have Dyna Rings. It one of those things that you don't fully understand how it will help you, until you ride with one. Then you REALLY start to enjoy the ride rather than just riding.

Put an auto clutch up high on your first purchase list. It makes riding a ton easier/funner and they are cake to install. I'd be happy to help you throw it in if you get one. The testament to the auto clutches is easily seen with Russ and I. Russ has been riding his whole life (which is pretty damn long :p) and once he installed his last year, he instantly fell in love with it. I'm on the opposite side of the riding spectrum, I've been on a bike for 2 years (still a noob) and, again, when I installed mine it was an instant hit. I'm often the one to run out and check what's up ahead on the trail if it starts to get nasty because the clutch makes it tons easier to get through stuff.

Also, if you buy a bike that needs parts. plastics, etc hit me up. I can get some decent deals on lots of different parts. Some brands are still off-limits to discounts but that list is shrinking :D

sixstringsteve

I do know enough to know that I don't want mx bike. I'll do some research on the auto clutches, it sounds like something that would help me.

Good to know about the plastics, I'm sure ill be needing some since ill be buying used.

Last edited:

plaidfro

Lets get a small group out at 5-mile pass then you can ride around on the different bikes and get a good idea of what you like and don't like. It would give me a good excuse (and motivation) to get my new front tire on.

sixstringsteve

that would be really cool, I would love that.

I'll need to get some boots and a helmet at the minimum for that ride. Do we have any vendors on RME who carry that stuff? I'm totally new, and I don't want to spend a TON of money, I just need some basic stuff. I'll eventually get a chest protector as well, but I think I'll hold off 'till I at least get a bike.

pELYgroso

'Merica
about the seat padding, my ol' '94 has plenty of padding to shave it that were needed. I still vote a lowered 2T WR250 or a KDX200. You're welcome to ride mine if you want! The power on it is really manageable!

plaidfro

that would be really cool, I would love that.

I'll need to get some boots and a helmet at the minimum for that ride. Do we have any vendors on RME who carry that stuff? I'm totally new, and I don't want to spend a TON of money, I just need some basic stuff. I'll eventually get a chest protector as well, but I think I'll hold off 'till I at least get a bike.

My experience with Helmets and Boots are that you can save a few bucks finding a less expensive helmet that is decent (< $100ish), but with boots you truly get what you pay for. I have found the Alpinestars Tech 6 & Tech 8's to be the best fit for me. I wear the Tech 8's currently. Cheaper boots just don't feel right to me, and I don't think they offer the foot an ankle protection that a better boot would.

I am sure many of us have an extra helmet you could use for a ride.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I have an extra helmet and chest protector you can borrow....

I'll agree w/ plaidfro. My helmet and chest protector were used, but I got some mid-range ATV boots new (has good thread on the bottom instead of flat like MX boots) and I love them! And socks! I used to use normal costco socks, but when I got riding socks (like $7 a pair at rm) it changed my life! haha knee pads are a must as well!