Thinking of moving back to Utah...worried about inspection...

Randyzzz

Fully Scrambled
The title says it all...my son-in-law is applying for welding jobs in Utah. If he lands one and moves the family, I'm sure the wife and I will follow. I lived in Ogden in the early 90's, ran the Pep Boys store in Riverdale. I remember vehicle inspections and lift laws (something we don't have to worry about in Oregon). My biggest concern is that my Scrambler won't pass inspection.

It's not lifted that high- 4" with 5/8" body lift. But the axles are 6" wider than stock, and I'm running Metalcloak fenders, and 35" tires. I realize I'm just asking for opinions, but I'd like to hear what you think. Here's some pics...

Scrambler July 2012 002 resize.jpgScrambler July 2012 010 resize.jpgScrambler July 2012 016 resize.jpgScrambler July 2012 012 resize.jpg

Plumcrazy

Formerly GVHS
You could just let me hold on to it for you in CO????

Good Luck!!! Tell your son to look at CO instead and u wont have to worry!

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Someone I once wheeled with used lawn-edging (you know who you are, but I can't seem to remember), wavy ground side out. both legal and oh so classy...:)

Bart

Yep, cover the tops of the tires and mud flaps, as long as the engine meets emmission standards for the year.

YotaDaniel

Adding some mud flaps (permanat or temporary) like mentioned before would be my biggest concern. I just moved here myself so I don't know how picky cops are about tires sticking out. It might just depend on what area you end up in.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Lawn edging w/ all-thread fed through the ends and you can shape it to any vehicle contour you could ever imagine...

You will not have a problem passing safety with some minor changes (flares and mud flaps).

Also, there are even areas of UT that you can live that don't do emissions!!!

Randyzzz

Fully Scrambled
Thanks, guys. I remember the "lawn edging" trick...I don't think I could resort to that. (At least on this Jeep.) I could make mud flaps, or build some new fenders, although I really like these.

I'm not too worried about emissions, there's a 2004 5.3 out of a Yukon XL under the hood. Gotta run cleaner than the old 4 popper...it gets better mileage if I keep my foot out of it.

It all hinges on if my son can find work or not. I enjoy Oregon, but they're too "green" here for my tastes. "Off Road" is almost a dirty word here, unless you're on a mountain bike. Athletic recreation is what's popular here- Biking, Hiking, etc. I'm more of a throttle junkie...if it doesn't have gas and a brake, I'm not too interested... (or a trigger, but that's a whole other addiction)

stimmie

Where is he looking for work? Seems the oilfield is always in need of welders. That would put him in the Uinta Basin if you wanted to be in Utah. Or you could be in the Rangely or Rifle areas of Colorado. Or SW Wyoming.. Getting a job is one thing here in the basin... Finding a place to live?.. nearly impossible from what I hear.. Unless you're willing to live in an RV in an RV park.. Little easier that way.

Oh, and no emissions here either.. and seems to be lenient cops on the lift laws...

thenag

I'm not too worried about emissions, there's a 2004 5.3 out of a Yukon XL under the hood. Gotta run cleaner than the old 4 popper...it gets better mileage if I keep my foot out of it.

I did an engine swap in my bronco, it was an 87 that had a 300-6 and I put an EFI 460 from a 96 f350 in it. A lot of the emissions places wouldn't touch it, but the salt lake county inspection station always took care of me with no issues. Motor had to be newer than the vehicle and all emissions equipment had to be installed. So whatever that Yukon had, i.e. smog pump, catalytic converter, egr system, all has to be in your jeep. Or at least that is how they explained it to me. I didn't have any problems since I installed everything from the donor f350. I think even if you didn't have all the equipment so long as you had a Cat and and egr you could probably get them to test it. That is Salt Lake county, so other counties will be different.

You can find the safety inspection manual online, be sure to download and go through it. I am sure you will find a couple of things that you will need to fix or modify to meet code. When I moved up here my horn didn't work and on my car my defrost didn't work. (didn't really need defrost in Albuquerque...)

nathan