This guy should be fired!

StrobeNGH

no user title
I've been in this exact scenario before. It was glorious, to say the least. My lawyer said a few words and the officer hung himself from that point on... he almost got taken in for contempt. :rofl: :rofl:

Gratifying wasn't it!?

I've seen a really good cop get creamed on the stand before because he made a simple mistake.
I felt bad for him . . . but I can't express the joy I get from seeing bad cops get ripped.

A true joy.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Yeah, I used to "enjoy" going to my studio in Rochester. I "enjoyed" the opportunity to help the downtrodden, and the many offers to help with redistributing my wealth. But after a while I liked the possibility that I might actually get to beat a message into someone's head better. And then I had to move. :D

*sigh* makes me wistful for the city.

NOT!!!

Lifelong Jeeper

I was upset about this clip until I spoke to my wife's dad who is a retired Phoenix police officer. He pointed out some of the major red flags that the guy continually threw out and to demonstrate the level of beligerance for example, even after he was cuffed he still approached the officer as he spoke to his wife instead of staying by the vehicle as he was told. He was totally non-compliant in every aspect of this situation. His wife was as much as a potential threat because of her combative nature as well which I'm sure had the officer even more on edge. She could have pulled a gun and shot him in the back the whole time any of this was going on. Also, as far as the miranda rights being given, I was told that you have 24 hours to officially charge a person and the rights would be read at that time. This isn't Hollywood afterall.

My father in law said it was fully appropriate use of the taser whose purpose is to avoid the need for physical contact/combat. He said that if there were other officers present then it would have been excessiveto tase this guy, but being that he was alone out on a highway he took ever precaution to protect himself. He had no idea what this gentleman was capable of being that he could have been going back to his vehicle for a gun or fishing for one in his pockets.

Bottom line...these officers are out there on the look out and protecting us at the cost and security of their own lives. Yeah, some of their tactics may seem to be overly aggressive or the use of authority can seem to be abused, but at the end of the day we are all more safe because of their protection and we should be more supportive and appreciative...IMO.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I was upset about this clip until I spoke to my wife's dad who is a retired Phoenix police officer. He pointed out some of the major red flags that the guy continually threw out and to demonstrate the level of beligerance for example, even after he was cuffed he still approached the officer as he spoke to his wife instead of staying by the vehicle as he was told. He was totally non-compliant in every aspect of this situation. His wife was as much as a potential threat because of her combative nature as well which I'm sure had the officer even more on edge. She could have pulled a gun and shot him in the back the whole time any of this was going on. Also, as far as the miranda rights being given, I was told that you have 24 hours to officially charge a person and the rights would be read at that time. This isn't Hollywood afterall.

My father in law said it was fully appropriate use of the taser whose purpose is to avoid the need for physical contact/combat. He said that if there were other officers present then it would have been excessiveto tase this guy, but being that he was alone out on a highway he took ever precaution to protect himself. He had no idea what this gentleman was capable of being that he could have been going back to his vehicle for a gun or fishing for one in his pockets.

Bottom line...these officers are out there on the look out and protecting us at the cost and security of their own lives. Yeah, some of their tactics may seem to be overly aggressive or the use of authority can seem to be abused, but at the end of the day we are all more safe because of their protection and we should be more supportive and appreciative...IMO.

I pointed all of this out in the beginning. But I'm glad you were curious and are asking other officers about this - gaining knowledge. Others that think he was out of line should do the same thing. It's pretty easy to be a arm chair cop when it's not your life in jeopardy.

Like someone else said, he was completely in the right for what he did and Jared was completely wrong. If you don't like it, write some letters and get policies changed. Just keep in mind, the more lenient the policies, the more officers that will lose their lives on traffic stops, the less officers there will be. Their salaries would probably go down as well.

X

XT Utah

I agree that police should be paid much more (same for firefighters, EMTs, teachers, etc) but it's not the only solution.

In my career I have known a lot of people who make gobs of money but are still stupid and incompetent (not me of course. I mean, I don't make gobs of money) :p

utahxjer

I've had good officers on the stand. They suck b/c you can't rattle them. They will admit when (if) they were wrong, and they have instant credibility with juries b/c people can tell they are reasonable, and just doing their job.

But officers like this guy (I'm right, you are wrong, period) are a blast to get on the stand. They LOVE to run their mouths, so you give them enough rope and then hang them.
Once they realize what you have done to them they FLIP OUT on you. They have NO credibility with juries.

I really wish departments could do more to get better cops on the force, and get rid of the morons. It would make my job a lot harder, but we'd all be the better for it.

Goes both ways too.... I've seen good attorneys and horrible attorneys.

TRNDRVR

IMA BUM
TRNDRVR said:
Some cops are alive today simply because it's against the law to kill them.

FAWKIN' POS!
redbulltj said:
You need to explain this comment.
Okay.

A person who legitimately fears for their life at the hands of an overzealous officer of the law cannot properly defend themselves because said officer hides behind his badge and department.

I’m curious if an officer of the law has ever been killed while on duty by means of self defense by another person?

This cop is still a POS for what he did. Tase/arrest a guy for not signing a ticket. What a dick!

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
Okay.

This cop is still a POS for what he did. Tase/arrest a guy for not signing a ticket. What a dick!

he might be a dick for deciding to arrest him. But when The motorist failed to comply/listen after he had gotten out, then started to walk back to the car, reaching for something? Tase em. you need to see some training videos where the cop failed to control the situation and the motorist injured or killed the LEO, or started a chase. Court and lawyers are for settling these disputes. NOT THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!! everyone is safe now, and jared just suffered some shock/bruises for not listening, no-one was really permenently hurt.

Thursty

he might be a dick for deciding to arrest him.

Its not up to the officer whether or not to arrest someone if they don't sign their citation. If the person WILL NOT sign their citation they will be arrested, Utah State law.

He could also have avoided being tazed if he had simply followed the officers instructions.

This incident has been beat to death. From one point of view LEOs, as well as what it means to do their job, are misunderstood.

As a result of this, they are viewed asjack booted thugs "hiding behind the badge" always ready and willing to "jack people up".

I became an officer to help those who need it and to bring those who have done wrong to justice. If I feel someone is threatening my safety I am going to do whatever it takes to make sure I get home to my wife and family that night.

This situation could have been handled differently on both sides. Lets try to appreciate the view from both sides before rushing to judgement and saying stupid things like "some cops are still alive only because it is illiegal to kill them" :mad2: as some have done on this forum.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

Its not up to the officer whether or not to arrest someone if they don't sign their citation. If the person WILL NOT sign their citation they will be arrested, Utah State law.

He could also have avoided being tazed if he had simply followed the officers instructions.

This incident has been beat to death. From one point of view LEOs, as well as what it means to do their job, are misunderstood.

As a result of this, they are viewed asjack booted thugs "hiding behind the badge" always ready and willing to "jack people up".

I became an officer to help those who need it and to bring those who have done wrong to justice. If I feel someone is threatening my safety I am going to do whatever it takes to make sure I get home to my wife and family that night.

This situation could have been handled differently on both sides. Lets try to appreciate the view from both sides before rushing to judgement and saying stupid things like "some cops are still alive only because it is illiegal to kill them" :mad2: as some have done on this forum.

Well said...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well said...

x2!

As said before, the situation could have been handled better. It wasn't a textbook arrest, but everyone went home to their families after work... or after bail was posted. :rofl:

I once asked a cop about not signing a ticket & what it entailed. He was straight up about what it meant & I signed right away. :D

NE_Utah

x2!

As said before, the situation could have been handled better. It wasn't a textbook arrest, but everyone went home to their families after work... or after bail was posted. :rofl:

I once asked a cop about not signing a ticket & what it meant. He was straight up about what entailed & I signed right away. :D

:rofl::rofl:

X

XT Utah

Agreed ... :bow: