Thoughts on radon

blznnp

So we are purchasing a house in herriman. We got a radon test done and the levels came back higher than the EPA recommended levels so now the seller is looking into a mitigation system to see how much one would cost to install. I am just curious as to what your thoughts on radon are? Is it harmful? Is it just a thing the EPA is over reacting on? Is it something you could care less about and it won't harm you? My kids will be sleeping in the basement and we spend a lot of time in the basement during the winter and at night. But we won't be in there all day. But still a good amount of time.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
A quick Google search shows Radon is deadly and in high enough quantities will kill you. A mitigation system is cheaper than a hospital bill.

In order to sell the house the seller must take care of it for any other buyer so make them foot the bill and don't worry about it... I'd say.

blznnp

That is what we say to, but they're trying to get out of it by giving us a news article of some person who says that radon isn't really that harmful.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So I'm scanning the wiki article on it, and I gotta say that's enough that I'd be pulling my offer. Screw a mitigation system.

Run far run fast, I say. There's lots of other awesome houses out there.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I don't know a lot about radon or the mitigation systems, but I would have to think that the levels would have to be high in that geographic area, so even though you are doing stuff to mitigate it in the house, wouldn't it still be high outside? Also, the house is now known to high levels. If you go to sell it, I would have to think it would be a negative to have to disclose that you have a radon mitigation system. That is not something you can hide.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
they will have to disclose from now on anyways. Lots of houses have mitigation systems. Isn't it just a way to untrap the gas build up under a house?

blznnp

From what I understand, outside it's no big deal. Inside it does get trapped. The highest level was a 9.8 and the lowest was a 3.5 I think. Once you put the system in, it takes out 99% of it. One guy had similar readings and he said with his system the readings went down to 1. The EPA states if it's over 4 then you should have a system. Herriman is a 50/50 ratio of houses that need a system and houses that don't. With the highest being 89 I think it was. So our test wasn't crazy high and a system will take care of it. My wife is too attached to this house to let it go Kevin. Especially when she knows a system can take pretty much all of it out. And the garage is the best out of all the houses to put a lift in. And since she threw out my acre property criteria, it's one of the best. I think the main reason they don't want to pay for it is due to them coming down a little, agreeing to pay all closing costs, and the house is priced awesome for the area and size. My wife and I are just reading a bunch if things that are for both sides and it's hard to know who is the best to go with to decide if the system is absolutely needed with our numbers. Of course with our health at risk I don't think it really matters what any article says, we will have one put in no matter what.

Last edited:

Nappy

Nappystunts.com
I bought my house just over a year ago. It's in West Jordan. The people living there had been there since 1983. The man died of brain cancer a few years ago and she couldn't keep up with the yard and everything. So I scored. Until I seen this big ass pipe coming out of my neighbors house. I asked him what it was and he explained that he had high levels of Radon and that had eliminated it with a mitigation system. Cost him a few grand I think for the whole system. They had to dig up the concrete in the basement and do some remodeling. He swears the Radon got my previous owner sick. The neighbor behind said it was just Karma because they were the worst neighbors ever.... So who knows. But for a few grand, I'll have one put in. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Glad this thread came up. I LOVE my house so I don't think I'll be leaving...

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Radon is something we in utah bury our heads in the sand about. You cannot even buy a house in many states without a test done. We all have radon, and a house with a radon system is much safer. It's inly about $2k to have one installed.
I would move forward, after radon system is installed.

blznnp

I bought my house just over a year ago. It's in West Jordan. The people living there had been there since 1983. The man died of brain cancer a few years ago and she couldn't keep up with the yard and everything. So I scored. Until I seen this big ass pipe coming out of my neighbors house. I asked him what it was and he explained that he had high levels of Radon and that had eliminated it with a mitigation system. Cost him a few grand I think for the whole system. They had to dig up the concrete in the basement and do some remodeling. He swears the Radon got my previous owner sick. The neighbor behind said it was just Karma because they were the worst neighbors ever.... So who knows. But for a few grand, I'll have one put in. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Glad this thread came up. I LOVE my house so I don't think I'll be leaving...
Yea, it's one of those things that it could have been anything, the radon is just something to blame. But it does very house to house. One house could be .3 and the neighbor could be 20.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
We had our house tested last November before we bought it. The level came back at 9.xx. The seller offered to install a system. Once that was in the level is now .1 or something like that. Bret and Kevin, all the time you guys have spent in my garage, I bet you never noticed the pipe? It was a quality install. We interviewed a few different companies before picking one. Cost was $1400ish and is an active system with a pump. I guess magna is loaded with radon. And like everything else, it will also give you cancer. I will have a system in any house needing it.
And anyone that thinks it would be a turn off to have for a buyer down the road, only a buyer that doesn't have a clue. I'd be happy to know a house already took care of it.

blznnp

Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing it, but it doesn't stand out at all. If i get cancer though I am blaming you, you put radon in my blazer

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Who cares about the radon, have you seen how often Herriman is ON FIRE?

Just messing with you. Sorta. I'm having a hard time finding what I want in the valley and I keep shying away from that area but it may be inevitable... Glad you guys found a place you like and of course the garage sounds awesome.

blznnp

Who cares about the radon, have you seen how often Herriman is ON FIRE?

Just messing with you. Sorta. I'm having a hard time finding what I want in the valley and I keep shying away from that area but it may be inevitable... Glad you guys found a place you like and of course the garage sounds awesome.
I was looking in herriman and saratoga springs, but my wife was not having saratoga springs. Found a place out there with 5 acres but she didn't want to go that far, plus she likes to be in a neighborhood with neighbors all around. So this is our compromise. Biggest problem is there is no where to put my trailer, I could put it in the garage but once I get a lift in there it wont fit, unless I make it so my wife can't park in there.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
From what I understand, outside it's no big deal. Inside it does get trapped. The highest level was a 9.8 and the lowest was a 3.5 I think. Once you put the system in, it takes out 99% of it. One guy had similar readings and he said with his system the readings went down to 1. The EPA states if it's over 4 then you should have a system. Herriman is a 50/50 ratio of houses that need a system and houses that don't. With the highest being 89 I think it was. So our test wasn't crazy high and a system will take care of it. My wife is too attached to this house to let it go Kevin. Especially when she knows a system can take pretty much all of it out. And the garage is the best out of all the houses to put a lift in. And since she threw out my acre property criteria, it's one of the best. I think the main reason they don't want to pay for it is due to them coming down a little, agreeing to pay all closing costs, and the house is priced awesome for the area and size. My wife and I are just reading a bunch if things that are for both sides and it's hard to know who is the best to go with to decide if the system is absolutely needed with our numbers. Of course with our health at risk I don't think it really matters what any article says, we will have one put in no matter what.

Well, if she has to have it, she has to have it. Happy wife is a happy life, and you can use this for leverage to get stuff you want. Try to make sure that she doesn't let the other guys know how bad she wants it though, or you'll never get them to cover the cost of the mitigation thingy. :)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Seems too many newer neighborhoods have either big garages or trailer parking but not both and it drives me nuts. Either way, sounds like you found a place you like and that's awesome. Not being able to find the right place to move to makes me want to stay in my house for a couple more years

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I was looking in herriman and saratoga springs, but my wife was not having saratoga springs. Found a place out there with 5 acres but she didn't want to go that far, plus she likes to be in a neighborhood with neighbors all around. So this is our compromise. Biggest problem is there is no where to put my trailer, I could put it in the garage but once I get a lift in there it wont fit, unless I make it so my wife can't park in there.

The drive gets old from Saratoga Springs. I'd love to be in Herriman. ;)

blznnp

Well, if she has to have it, she has to have it. Happy wife is a happy life, and you can use this for leverage to get stuff you want. Try to make sure that she doesn't let the other guys know how bad she wants it though, or you'll never get them to cover the cost of the mitigation thingy. :)

This is true, but some how with me getting a lift she has convinced me that we need new couches, so any leverage I can have, she turns it on me and give me some type of guilt, funny how wives can do that.

Seems too many newer neighborhoods have either big garages or trailer parking but not both and it drives me nuts. Either way, sounds like you found a place you like and that's awesome. Not being able to find the right place to move to makes me want to stay in my house for a couple more years

We originally were planning on building, and I don't know what happened to that. There is a spot in bluffdale that is brand new with 1 acre lots right down the road from the walmart, we should have looked at it but we would be paying more mainly due to the builders name so that kinda shied us away. There is a guy at the top of my development that had a 63' third bay built on his house when it was getting built, that would nice.

The drive gets old from Saratoga Springs. I'd love to be in Herriman. ;)

Yea, at first I don't think it would bother me to much, but with me going to taylorsville all the time right now and then salt lake everyday in a few months, that would probably get to me. I guess our next house will have to finally have the property I want....so in 20 years.

Kirk

i have a neighbor that paid someone to mitigate their radon level - haven't seen what they did on the inside, but the outside is just a section of rain gutter running up the center up their house to the roof. I think they paid a few thousand dollars, but not sure. I would also like to hear about some companies that people have used, and what they paid. We had ours tested and it was barely outside of the safe range....