Topic of Discussion Tile. Yes, this is THAT thread

Coco

So, this seemed like an appropriate place for this. We bought our house in June, and the POs did a tile entryway/kitchen/dining room. We cleaned all the carpets (which are not in the best shape, and will eventually get replaced) and moped the tile floor. We knew the tile was still dirty, but wasn't sure the best method to clean them. This weekend we decided to tackle that. Wow, I couldn't believe the difference that made! We eventually want to rid the tile too, but for now, this is soooo much better.

We used baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dawn dish soap. Then a steam scrub brush, and then a final steam mop after.unnamed (20).jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
So, this seemed like an appropriate place for this. We bought our house in June, and the POs did a tile entryway/kitchen/dining room. We cleaned all the carpets (which are not in the best shape, and will eventually get replaced) and moped the tile floor. We knew the tile was still dirty, but wasn't sure the best method to clean them. This weekend we decided to tackle that. Wow, I couldn't believe the difference that made! We eventually want to rid the tile too, but for now, this is soooo much better.

We used baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dawn dish soap. Then a steam scrub brush, and then a final steam mop after.View attachment 135310
There's also a brush available that fits a standard sawzall. It's like a cocaine-fueled toothbrush for cleaning grout.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Hello fellow RME tilers! I have a MASSIVE bathroom tiling project coming up (36sq. ft!!!). The issue is that the floor is not level. It sags slightly in the center, probably from 60 years of people walking from the door to the tub. Its not a huge dip, maybe 1/4 of an inch. My question for all you old hands is should I use leveling compound or try to build it up with thin set?

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I don't think 1/8 inch is worth worrying about. Thin set will cover that. I have installed many tile floors and showers. Which is why I recommend doing LVP instead. Save yourself 3 days of work.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I don't think 1/8 inch is worth worrying about. Thin set will cover that. I have installed many tile floors and showers. Which is why I recommend doing LVP instead. Save yourself 3 days of work.
That's what I was thinking. Between the mudding, Ditra, and thin set it should level out.

If I was the one calling the shots, I'd be doing vinyl. I did our entire townhouse in LVP and once you do a few rows and figure it out, easy as pie. But every time I've made a contradictory interior design suggestion at our new place the reply has been, "That's a nice Patrol you have there. Sure would be unfortunate if something happened to it..."

ID Bronco

That's what I was thinking. Between the mudding, Ditra, and thin set it should level out.

If I was the one calling the shots, I'd be doing vinyl. I did our entire townhouse in LVP and once you do a few rows and figure it out, easy as pie. But every time I've made a contradictory interior design suggestion at our new place the reply has been, "That's a nice Patrol you have there. Sure would be unfortunate if something happened to it..."

That's cute she calls it a Patrol too.

Pike2350

Depending on the tile you are laying, you may not need to worry. If you can't get it perfectly level, and are using large format tile, the 1/2" trowel, plus back buttering the tile over that area will help you get it level. Just make sure to use leveling shim spacers to help....but 1/8" is not much at all.

The bathroom I did recently had an uneven concrete floor. I used topper to help, but still had a 1/4" difference from one side to the other, and a hump by the toilet. I couldn't get the tile flat, but it's close. There is a hollow spot under the tile behind the toilet, but overall, it shouldn't matter....doesn't mean it doesn't piss me off though.