Time for a new cordless drill and impact. Which one should I get?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Impact drivers use a hammer to turn the bit with a series of blows,
An impact drill, if like a hammer drill, turns the bit with gears but delivers hammer blows directed down the length of the bit.
Nearly essential when drilling hard, brittle stuff like concrete.
For concrete, I have a milwaukee corded hammer drill.

sixstringsteve

Impact drivers use a hammer to turn the bit with a series of blows,
An impact drill, if like a hammer drill, turns the bit with gears but delivers hammer blows directed down the length of the bit.
Nearly essential when drilling hard, brittle stuff like concrete.
For concrete, I have a milwaukee corded hammer drill.

I was hoping you would share your knowledge in this thead.

I wonder if an impact drill does both regular drilling and impact "hammer" turns with a series of blows.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My corded one is switchable. Makes quite a bit of noise when hammer-drilling concrete.
Kinda reminds me of a sadistic dentist...

sixstringsteve

my impact driver does the same thing.

Is an impact drill similar?

I need to find my corded drill, I really should be using that thing more. I use my drill press a ton, but every now and then there are jobs that don't fit on the press.

Tonkaman

My job box at work is loaded with different power tools including Dewalt, Bosch, Rigid, Hilti, and Milwaukee. Keep in mind i use these tools all day everyday, often drilling big hole saws and sinking hundreds of anchors. The most powerful and reliable are definitely the Dewalts especially the new 20V. There is no competition with Hilti when it comes to hammer drills, they blast thru like dinomite! The Rigid impacts hit really hard but tend to break down more than Dewalts and the batteries die faster. Milwuakee makes a decent drill id say they are worth buying if you find a deal, although i have never used their impact. My Bosch drills all seem to be dying off and just can't keep up with the competition. I also used to have a Snap-On drill and impact. Although they were flawless and dead reliable I have never really been able to justify the extra cost over Dewalt

UFAB

Sold all our cordless hand tools and bought all new milwaukee. Nothing beats the Fuel hammer drill, hold on or break your hand..

The 1/4" driver comes in the brushless fuel model, but the 3/8 and 1/2" impact guns don't. The 3/8" impact 18V cordless works great.

Get the EXT batteries, also they have a high output battery called the 4.0

The cordless metal circular saw really works, cut 1/4" plate steel A36 about 45 inches long in one cut, 1.25 minute...

Also all Milwaukee tools have a 5 year no qustions warranty.

Good luck

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I bought the Milwaukee 18V set a few years back that came with 2 batteries, the impact driver, hammer drill, hackzall (a sweet design of the sawzall), and a light. I have since added 2 more batteries and the cordless circular saw, and another 1/2 in drill with no hammer function because it came with a battery and charger for the cost of a battery alone. I have used the drill very little, only for drilling holes in metal, or if i needed a chuck to hold a bit. Otherwise I use the impact for about everything.

I don't use them every day, but I use something at least once a week. I also have the Milwaukee 12V drill driver and cordless multitool.

I remodeled my basement, and I do general building projects in my shop. I have LOVED my impact driver. I don't think it is really meant for auto work, but it will drive screws, hole saws, and speed bits like nobody's business (especially for drilling holes to run wire through 2x4 studs). If you can swing it, I am really impressed with the brushless Fuel series stuff they have come out with. If my current stuff breaks, I will replace it with the fuel brushless stuff.

sixstringsteve

great feedback mob_cj5, thanks.

I'm tempted to buy an 18v battery or two for my Makita, and hope it dies within the warranty period so I'm not hung out to dry again...

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
great feedback mob_cj5, thanks.

I'm tempted to buy an 18v battery or two for my Makita, and hope it dies within the warranty period so I'm not hung out to dry again...

The sad part is, they hook you with batteries and then you feel stuck (like you now) when your batteries die. My ONLY complaint about Milwaukee is their batteries are the most expensive of any on the market (around $100 for the normal capacity, about $120 for the extended 4.0). That being said, I have only bought more batteries because when I have been doing big projects (like my basement), it was nice to pop on a new battery and keep going rather than wait 45 min for them to charge. The tools run strong until the battery dies. That is the beauty of all Li Ion batteris.

I honestly think you can't go wrong with the big brands, I have other brands of tools in my shop, but I have really loved my milwaukee cordless stuff.

chadschoon

I've had Dewalt, Ridgid, and Hilti. Went with the Hilti because the components are better inside the drill. I would never by Hilti again. Way to much money for what you get and the power doesnt seem to be there compared to ridgid and Dewalt. Im back to the Ridgid and Dewalts

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Steve, contact our local Interstate battery distributor at 801-295-4694, they can rebuild the battery packs for about half the cost of new ones. The best thing about it is you get 100% fresh batteries instead of some that may have been manufactured 6 months ago and sat on a shelf until purchased.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Impact drill = hammer drill = drilling in concrete/masonry.

I like my Milwaukee 18v set, but I always default to my corded stuff for anything besides housework.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The bad thing about dewalt is they (like about every tool manufacture) have started making really crappy tools that look just like their nice stuff. If you buy the $99 Dewalt from HD it will be a pile of crap. The more expensive stuff is still really nice though. I have 19.2 craftsman and it has worked great. The best part of the craftsman line is they haven't changed battery fitment in around 10 years. You can buy new Li that will fit in and work on your old stuff and new stuff. Plus they aren't really expensive and all their 19.2 tools take the same batteries. They aren't as nice as Milwaukee or high end Dewalt but they are a good bang for the buck.