Shop / Tools Today I want this...tool edition

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
They are awesome. I decided to go ahead and get a dedicated metal circular saw from Evolution. The slower spin of the saw cuts metal like butter. It's so nice to use. Before that I used the diablo blade like that on my dewalt saw for tons of cuts and it's STILL sharp. Good stuff.
I've got a Rage and I like it a lot. Now I have a little version for stuff that doesn't fit and I'm in love all over again.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
What's the "go to" for a good snap ring plier? I threw my parts store units away the other night. They just piss you off. Knipex, OTC, Imperial, Lang, Channel lock? They are hard to justify for me as I bet I only use snap ring pliers 4-5 times per year. I'm tired of the shittastic units though.

Thoughts on this GearWrench setup? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/59720375

Knipex? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/96518469

OTC? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/41179524

(I have a bit of an "in" at MSC Direct)

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
What's the "go to" for a good snap ring plier? I threw my parts store units away the other night. They just piss you off. Knipex, OTC, Imperial, Lang, Channel lock? They are hard to justify for me as I bet I only use snap ring pliers 4-5 times per year. I'm tired of the shittastic units though.

Thoughts on this GearWrench setup? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/59720375

Knipex? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/96518469

OTC? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/41179524

(I have a bit of an "in" at MSC Direct)

No experience with the snap ring pliers, I have a set of MAC ones I bought 20 years ago. But what about ICON? I’ve been pretty happy with the other icon tools. Only icon pliers I have are the hose ones.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
No experience with the snap ring pliers, I have a set of MAC ones I bought 20 years ago. But what about ICON? I’ve been pretty happy with the other icon tools. Only icon pliers I have are the hose ones.
I bought a set of the ICONS. Came with 3 spread 3 pinch. I think the quality is good for home shop use. The only complaint I have is that the tips are to big for clips inside a motorcycle motor, but that is not relevant to most uses by people on here.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have a set of 12ish Mac snap ring pliers. Probably 30 years old and still awesome. I did just spend $80 on one Snap On retaining ring plier. That hurt, but so did ruining the ring the first time with the wrong tool.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So I own an Icon 3/8 torque wrench and am happy enough with it. It seams consistent and accurate and came with a certificate of accuracy, if that means anything.

How are the rest of the Icon tools? Is there an American made tool that can be purchased in a store these days? If I have to go Chinese maybe Icon is the pick? I still have a snap on truck that I can get tools off of weekly, but I’m looking at rebuilding the home toolbox again. I miss American Craftsman tools.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So I own an Icon 3/8 torque wrench and am happy enough with it. It seams consistent and accurate and came with a certificate of accuracy, if that means anything.

How are the rest of the Icon tools? Is there an American made tool that can be purchased in a store these days? If I have to go Chinese maybe Icon is the pick? I still have a snap on truck that I can get tools off of weekly, but I’m looking at rebuilding the home toolbox again. I miss American Craftsman tools.
I’ve been really happy with my Tekton stuff, good quality and mostly made in USA. They’ll tell you what’s not. They’re shifting to be all built in USA. Fast shipping, lifetime warranty, no complaints on quality. Most of what I’ve purchased have been combo wrenches, crows feet and sockets.

They sell individual sockets which is what I’ve used to rebuild my older sets back to whole.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I don't have enough Icon stuff to have an opinion yet, but my Tekton stuff has been decent. They're definitely not Snap-On but they work. I've found them on the shelf at Cal Ranch.

I didn't know they were moving manufacturing to the US, that must be why their prices have been creeping up. :rofl:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose

My experience over the last 2 years of buying ICON for my shop toolbox is that I think the quality is on par with what Craftsman used to be. The ratchets feel like they have good tolerances, the sockets don’t fit loose and the wrenches feel good and don’t seem like they have a lot of flex when you apply a lot of pressure. I bought a set of the ratcheting wrenches and have worked great on my El Camino project. I have put some good pressure on the ratchet end and they have not stripped or slipped.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
That's good to hear. I'd really like another American made Sears/Craftsman type to pop up again. Sears always had a huge selection of tools. If I broke something I needed, there was a great chance they had it on the shelf. I could just run over and grab it. My Snap On dealer comes once a week (if that) and with my luck I brake stuff 5 minutes after she's left. Now I'm stuck. Maybe Icon is the best bet.