Tonkaman's CRF450R build

Tonkaman

I'm contemplating whether or not to remove a few items from the bike before listing it for sale. I know leaving on all the goods will help it sell but I wonder if I would be money ahead to separate.

The wide ratio transmission is selling for as cheap as $510 new. It would require me to split the cases but I do have the new gaskets already. This is a no brainer right?

The Rekluse is a Z-start pro and sells for $629. I know these are highly sought after used and should be an easy sell. Would removing it hurt the sale too much to offset the cash?

I've got a whole box of parts I've used over the years some OEM and some aftermarket. I'll be stripping off a few of the goodies and leaving them on the side to sweeten the deal for full price offers.

Tonkaman

WOW!! that's some serious progress!!!
Any sign of what might have been the failure?

Yeah I've torn this bike down to the frame so many times I can do it blindfolded now! I'm not sure where the failure happened. The head and base gaskets looked great, but they are Cometic multilayer steel gaskets so it would be hard to find a leaky spot.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
If it were me, with the amount of money you have poured into this thing, I'd strip all the good parts. 450's that are several years old are a dime a dozen so you are most likely going to get 1.5 to 2x what those parts are worth for the entire bike, with or without them. So I'd save them and recoup a little more of your money.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Forget the graphics.
Call me about plastics ;)
Jon has got a fork seal driver for the Hondas. Just buy some seals and bring the forks over and I'll help you do them real fast.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Yeah I just got too excited to get this thing clean and ready for a new home. Thanks for all the offers guys.

Stratton, I will definitely hit you up for that seal driver since I can't find mine anywhere. I'll let you know what works out

rholbrook

I would steer clear of GasGas until it's certain their doors will stay open. They have ready closed them once lately. Besides that, they feel really heavy and I personally didn't like the feel of it. One of my riding buddies bought a new one 6 mos ago. He loves it and that's all that really matters. He has been riding GasGas trials bikes for years and he rides his 300 like it was a minibike.

Tonkaman

Over the last couple months I tore the bike down to nuts and bolts just to give it a thorough scrubbing. I took the cases apart and put the stock transmission gears back in, along with the stock clutch. After another cartload of new parts it's all back together again and looking good! I'll post some current pictures of it tomorrow when I put it up for sale....

This thing is do scary fast I almost forgot! It's way more wild to ride than my sport bike!

Tonkaman

I can't let her trick me into keeping her again! I must sell... I must sell....

I'll try to make a classified listing for her later tonight

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Like I was saying; she's like a bad girlfriend that knows you're going to dump her so she tries to act all sweet and nice so you don't kick her to the curb. But you know the truth, she is a better match for another man, just send her along and you both can be happier.

Plus you know how jealous those Italian ladies get when they find out your seeing some Japanese side chick.

Tonkaman

Like I was saying; she's like a bad girlfriend that knows you're going to dump her so she tries to act all sweet and nice so you don't kick her to the curb. But you know the truth, she is a better match for another man, just send her along and you both can be happier.

Plus you know how jealous those Italian ladies get when they find out your seeing some Japanese side chick.

Ha ha yeah you've got me convinced. I'm going to try out this monogamy thing you guys have been talking about.