Toyota 4.0 V6 ??? Kind of a rant

Jesser04

My wife’s mall crawler gx460. My only gripe with the gx is if you want good passing power you have to shift it to manual.

Attachments

• E4ED34B2-C14B-488C-92FE-6993EA769928.png
    E4ED34B2-C14B-488C-92FE-6993EA769928.png
    593.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 813B31C8-1B08-4464-AD44-F4BCBCB813BD.png
    813B31C8-1B08-4464-AD44-F4BCBCB813BD.png
    840 KB · Views: 21

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
EcoBoost has ruined all other motors for me. Even my 2008 cruiser feels like a dog in comparison to my '16 f150, and my '17 transit with the 3.5 eco is a peppier vehicle than the cruiser. Once you've developed a taste for never needing more power on hill climbs, there is no going back. Looking forward to the ranger/bronco lineup...2.7 eco would do just fine

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sorry guys, Toyota didn't get themselves where they are with high-output motors, simply put. The started in the US 4x4 market with lower output motors and still don't vary much even on a global level where high efficiency diesels still don't move them around fast. While the 5.7L 3UR is an exciting motor for Toyota it's not crazy impressive when stacked up against competitors particularly when coupled to a full-time 4WD brick. I buy Toyota's because they are reliable, stalwart and retain value... not because they are fast. I think you'll find the Tacoma and 4Runner continue to sell really well for the same reason. Low maintenance, low depreciation and predictable performance. As noted the GX lineup makes some big improvements in that realm but it's not that much faster than a 4Runner. Having driven a heavy 5th gen 4Runner across the Americas, I've got zero beef with the 4.0 but I didn't expect anything miraculous.

DAA

Supporting Member
FWIW, I've never had a single problem getting in and out of 4lo in my taco...and none of the other guys I camp with have ever mentioned having problems.

Wonder what the dealio is with both of theirs then... Her's is an '06 and his is a '14 and I've been a passenger on lots and lots of offroad trips in both and both have to be put in 4Lo fairly often and both are finicky bastages and a minor PITA to get in. Maybe 25% of the time he turns the knob and we sit and nothing so he turns it back and forth a few times, rocks the truck, turns it real slow, curses a lot, whatever the ritual is. And it does always go in. Neither one hardly ever just clicks in immediately though. Best case is we sit and wait at least a few seconds. Honestly don't think I've ever seen either one of them shift into low immediately when that knob is turned?

Making more of it than it really is, too. I mean, worst case it's 30 seconds.

But then again, that's stopping and fiddling with a knob, when most vehicles would not need Lo and wouldn't have stopped or slowed down at all in the first place :D.

- DAA

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
My 08 cruiser was having a bunch of trouble getting into 4lo the first time I tried it out on Saturday. Took a lot of messing with it, helped along by a lubricating stream of curses. Although this honestly might be the first time the 4lo was ever engaged on this thing so I wasn't totally shocked, but I definitely missed the no hassle shift lever on the 80.