Transporting unlicensed vehicles

sbr

Does anyone have a link to the laws talking about the transporting of unliscensed vehicles and is it the same ticket as driving unliscened vehicles .

Meat_

Banned
Are you talking about OHV stuff that isn't current or about actually licensed vehicles that aren't current or something with nothing?

sbr

I am talking about like my tj it was licensed in 06 but since then has become not street legal in utah so I keep it insured with full coverage and the plate is on it. But it is expired I have never had a problem around salt lake while towing it even when I was pulled over for other stuff they never said anything about it not being current. Then in moab last weekend I had a park ranger pull up see my jeep on the trailer and give me a ticket for not being registered . So I am trying to find out where I can look up the laws about it . I asked a highway patrol officer down in moab and he said just trailor it and you wont have any problems the next morning I get a ticket from a park ranger who said that the highway patrol officer didn't know what he was talking about and was wrong. But since I got that ticket it was like a 5 day free pass and we could just drive them around now . He gave 2 of us tickets and both rigs were on trailors and still strapped down.

Meat_

Banned
Well.... you can transport stuff unlicensed, BUT technically if you leave your vehicle expired you are supposed to turn in your plates. AND to use it on public ground you have to either have current OHV or current plates. You could try and fight it, but I think you'll have a hard time convincing that judge that you didn't intend to unload the Jeep.

What kind of "park ranger"? A parkie? In Arches? A BLM ranger?

There is no law against towing an unregistered vehicle on a trailer. How else would you take a vehicle in for repair or sell/buy an old vehicle? Since I've had tow companies transport unregistered vehicles, I'd bet there is no law against it.

The ranger might have been concerned that you are operating an unregistered vehicle. Either way, GET IT REGISTERED! Register it as an OHV, or get it street-legal and inspected.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
41-22-3. Registration of vehicles - Application - Issuance of stickers and card - Proof of property tax
payment - Records.

(1) (a) Unless exempted under Section 41-22-9, no person may operate or transport and an owner may not give
another person permission to operate or transport any off-highway vehicle on any public land, trail,
street, or highway in this state unless the off-highway vehicle is registered under this chapter for the
current year.

source
http://stateparks.utah.gov/docs/ohv.pdf (page 4)
second source
http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE41/htm/41_0A004.htm

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
To my knowledge it is illegal... though I havn't researched the law. It is one thing to "transport" the vehicle from purchase to your house, etc. In that case they would likely let it slide, of course a temp registration is cheap. But it is a different thing when the park ranger had reasonable beleif that you intended to use the unlicensed vehicle in his/her jurisdiction... thus the ticket. If you don't plan to license it for the road... license it as an OHV and avoid any hassle :D

EDIT: Rusted found the law :cool:

sbr

He was with the parks and recreation department officer Young. Since when can you get a ticket because they think you might do something thats like giving some one a speeding ticket because they are standing next to a ferrari and might speed. when he pulled up we were sitting there talking on private property. and he said I saw you towing that down the road and it is not reg. so your getting a ticket.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
He was with the parks and recreation department officer Young. Since when can you get a ticket because they think you might do something thats like giving some one a speeding ticket because they are standing next to a ferrari and might speed. when he pulled up we were sitting there talking on private property. and he said I saw you towing that down the road and it is not reg. so your getting a ticket.

The law does say it is only illegal to "use" said vehicle, it also says it is illegal to "transport" said vehicle. Private property doesn't really matter... unless you can prove the vehicle originated from the private property. :p Crappy deal for sure. I was pulled over for the same thing 10 years ago, I had an unlicensed dirtbike in the bed of my truck... he checked our coolers and let us head out... but he did inform me it was illegal to even transport it on the road. Thankfully no ticket.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
All the LEO needs to remember from class is this:

No person may operate or transport any off-highway vehicle on any public land, trail,
street, or highway in this state unless the off-highway vehicle is registered for the
current year.

If he saw you on the street that is good enough for a ticket.

sbr

The law he found applies to OHV. We're dealing with an expired on road registration.

Thats what I was thinking.
I could cheat and get it liscensed here but then someone who passed it will get in trouble for that. If I reg. it ohv I have been told I can never change it back . I dont think my bank will like that much as I still owe a little on it.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
The law he found applies to OHV. We're dealing with an expired on road registration.

True. Title 41 is all about OHV. SBR is your vehicle an expired OHV or an expired Streel Legal? That could be more interesting. I was assuming it was OHV.

sbr

I really do want to do it right so what ever the law says I will follow its not worth the fight and the hours that you spend waiting for the the ranger to fill out the ticket. just was suprised that in moab I would get a ticket for trailoring my jeep is all. thanks for the input I will have to do something to get it registered. what does everyone do when they ohv reg. and trailor to the trail but when it ends you are 10 miles away from your trailor?

sbr

it is expired street legal now so is the other guy who got a ticket also .

sbr

41-1a-1303-1 I looked that up but it doesn't say transporting a vehicle.
41-1a-1303. Driving without registration or certificate of title -- Class B or C misdemeanor.
(1) (a) Except as provided in Subsection (2) or Section 41-1a-211, a person may not drive or move, or an owner may not knowingly permit to be driven or moved upon any highway any vehicle of a type required to be registered in this state:
(i) that is not properly registered or for which a certificate of title has not been issued or applied for; or
(ii) for which the required fee has not been paid.
(b) A violation of this Subsection (1) is a class C misdemeanor.
(2) (a) A violation of Subsection 41-1a-202(3), related to registration of vehicles after establishing residency, is a class B misdemeanor and except as provided in Subsection (2)(b), has a minimum fine of $1000.
(b) A court may not dismiss an action brought for a violation of Subsection 41-1a-202(3) merely because the defendant has obtained the appropriate registration subsequent to violating the section. The court may, however, reduce the fine to $200 if the violator presents evidence at the time of his hearing that:
(i) the vehicle is currently registered properly; and
(ii) the violation has not existed for more than one year.
(3) A court may require proof of proper motor vehicle registration as part of any sentence imposed under this section.

Amended by Chapter 56, 2002 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WP 6/7/8 41_01164.ZIP 2,433 Bytes