TRASHAROO??? Anyone seen it, what do you think?

Ford Prefect

Hey there, I just saw someone talking about this thing over on Exped Portal, and it seems like an interesting idea. They do, however, sometimes get a little overboard there, so I thought I would see what normal folks think of it. Can't decide if it would be useful or not...

The thing is an externally mounted Trash Can, mounts to the spare tire. They say they only fit up to a 35" spare, but I do not see why you couldn't just wrap the thing through the wheel and be just fine.

Here is the web site.
http://www.trasharoo.com/iWeb/TRASHAROO/Welcome.html

Here is the link to the discussion over there.
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31674

Anyhow, here it is

Brian

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Nothing new... just a new brand. There are several brands all over Aussie, some of which that were imported to the US, others have made custom ones here in the states. I think for the price point they have a great product and if you are lacking room and could use a place for trash, it would be a good addition. The only people that get 'overboard' are the ones that have to ask others if they need something for their uses ;) :p

Here are a couple of other pics of similar items I spied over in Aussie:

Attachments

• aussie4 033 (Medium).jpg
    aussie4 033 (Medium).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 18
  • aussie4 059 (Medium).jpg
    aussie4 059 (Medium).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 14
  • aussie4 121 (Medium).jpg
    aussie4 121 (Medium).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 19

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Seems like it'd be pretty useful for long trips where you'll generate a significant amount of trash, vs a typical "trail ride" that is just a day trip or whatever.

I see more usefulness in using it to pack more crap in (on) a small vehicle though. :)

Ford Prefect

Yeah, I can see that ILEAN

I end up with not enough room in the jeep when we go places like Moab, too long of a drive, so we stay for a while, but end up out of room.

I just do not know if I want to spend the money on something like this. I know I would use it, but...

Curt, do they tend to hold up in your experience? The guy said they had seen them down under as well, but not up here. I see the ones you posted look rubberized, and that seems nice, better than getting it all wet when it rained...

Caleb

I really like the idea, especially for longer trips like Carl mentioned.

On a side note, it drives me absolutely insane when people design commercial websites with iWeb. :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Marketing flaw... A kangaroo doesn't need an f'ing backpack.. It's got an OE pouch!! FAIL...

I think it's a great idea for longer extended trips! I can see it being useful for just a one day trail ride as well. If there was one in the group to haul it (maybe take turns each outing?) trash duty would be quite simple.

ID Bronco

I noticed on the Rubicon everyone had a trash bag tied to the rear tire. This is a step further but same deal. 50 bones isn't too bad, a duffle that size would be 30 for a decent one plus the attachment.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Curt, do they tend to hold up in your experience? The guy said they had seen them down under as well, but not up here. I see the ones you posted look rubberized, and that seems nice, better than getting it all wet when it rained...

Honestly don't know, I've never used one. I've know some locals that have built similar storage bags that hang on their spare tires, don't see why it wouldn't work? Its not exactly a high tech device.

Wouldnt that be about the same a bungee cording a big duffle bag to the spare tire?

Well, OK.. compared to that I guess it is a high tech device :D

Ford Prefect

It does have that little drain on the bottom, which seems like a great idea. You never know when something is going to leak out.

Oddly, the guy who makes them, suggested that you could use it as a solar shower if you wanted to. YIKES... Don't think I will be using the trash bin for my next shower, thanks so much... :)

Also, Curt, my main reason for asking on here is because I wanted to get opinions of others. So far i think I like it, but I don't think I can talk myself into one. I dono, having that internal debate.

I can;t decide if it would be sturdy or not. No point in spending that kind of money if you are just going to see the thing fall apart in a month of use.

The idea of using it to haul gear seems fine, but my gear is not light, so that is a lot of extra weight on that spare tire rack (mine is the stock rack) and then it also begs the question again as to the strength of the thing. Then again back to the extra room for gear thing...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Oh fwiw, I'd be happy to do a little review on them once mine arrives. I should see it in the next day or so ;)

We were actually shopping a bit for new products in Aussie and as you can tell from my pics these type of bags were of interest. However I can't even buy them wholesale direct from the manufacture in OZ for $50 and by the time they got to the US and I made a bit on them they would likely be closer to $100. So at the price point Dave's got going on, I think its a great product and pending my review in the coming days it might even be something I do carry in stock or at least feel comfortable recommending to customers.

Ford Prefect

Cool Kurt, I definitely will look forward to hearing what you have to say on them. He mentioned that they have used theirs for several hundred miles, so who knows. If the thing is sturdy it would really go a long way for being useful.

adventureduo

Hi guys, im Dave. The one producing these bags. Glad to see interest in it. It's just something i wanted for myself and figured i'd make extra to sell. Hence the iWeb website. This isn't our primary means of business even though we off road more than most people out there. I've done all the website stuff myself (and yes im sure you can tell).

So anyways, most of the points are right on.. yep you can just use a sack or bungee something to your tire. That will work fine.. but i wanted one like in Australia so i went a little further. I also promised myself i wouldn't make it as expensive as the ones "down under". In the end the bag is just still a sack that holds your trash.. so its not that technical or hard to figure out. There's always going to be something you don't need on the market but would be cool to have. I totally get both sides.

It's tough enough to last longer than most wheelers go out and yes your right if you aren't out that long then you probably don't need it.. but if you have a SWB rig.. then it's perfect to get the trash out of your tub. The other reason i wanted one , was because we had a Sportsmobile and i didn't want dirty trash inside my "living room" while traveling. So basically the prototype was made and then i had a batch of them made.

As Kurt mentioned, he ordered one today and he'll check it out when it arrives. Brian, if you want i can fire you out one at no cost and if you don't like it or you don't think it's tough enough.. you can send it right back and i won't charge you a dime. Call me tomorrow and i can set you up. I'd be happy to help.

PS, the shower part was a joke :D and yes we've ran ours over 1,000 miles at least. Still going strong.

take care you guys