tube bender and roll cage

cheapzuk

so, I am going to be getting me a tube bender and need to decide what dies I should buy. I was thinking about getting a 1.5 and something else but what should I get.

I am going to be building me an internal cage for my zuk. I was thinking of doing like 1.5 .120 wall dom for it. I need some Ideas on a design. Also, Should I tie it into the body or cut holes in the body and tie it to the frame.
Thanks for all the help.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
just tie it into the body with LARGE plates. 6x6 or so if you can. go check out the pirate board zuk section and search..there are tons of nice cages in there.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
1.5 and 1.75 seem to be the most useful sizes. I think most people build their stuff out of 1.75 .120 wall. What bender are you getting? If possible, get the 180 degree dies, and get the smallest bend radius available. If it were my rig, I would definately tie the cage into the frame. The easiest way is to use two plates to sandwich the body, and weld a tube from the bottom plate to the frame. this will make the cage stronger and will also massively reduce body floppiness.

cheapzuk

I am getting the jd bender (I think it is the model 2 or 3, can't remember). If I use two plate to sandwich it do I need to put some kind of rubber bushing or something so that it will flex or can I just bolt it solid. Also who makes a good notcher. One that is less than 200 dollars.

How thick of plates do I need to use.
I searched POR and couldn't find definate answers to my questions.

GETBENT

CRASH
cheapzuk said:
Also who makes a good notcher. One that is less than 200 dollars.

this is the one I use, It works sooo sweet and it is less than $200. It's the JD2 TN-100

Attachments

• TN100.jpg
    TN100.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 3

GETBENT

CRASH
James K said:
mine will take a 3" holesaw and do up to a 60 degree angle:D

ye old tubing notcher from northern tool

I know I would definetly use the 60 degree part but I don't think I've ever get anything up to a 3" tube, Ya never know though.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
To answer the question from way back on the other page...

Don't worry about rubber bushings, just bolt it solid. The JD2 or ProTools notchers are both good. I've gotten along quite well with a cheapy Harbor Freight one for quite a while, and it still works great, but this seams to be the exception.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
RockMonkey said:
To answer the question from way back on the other page...

Don't worry about rubber bushings, just bolt it solid. The JD2 or ProTools notchers are both good. I've gotten along quite well with a cheapy Harbor Freight one for quite a while, and it still works great, but this seams to be the exception.

sandwiching it works great. Once its bolted soild it doesn't move enough to warrent a bushing set-up. JMO