Turbo tax or HR block for 2014 taxes?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok I need money to fix my front suspension so I decided to get up early and get them out of the way.

In the past I have just downloaded turbo tax and went to work.

This is year the price has gone up $20 and has less options and has a ton of bad reviews.

Ok I looked at HR block. Better reviews and cheaper but the bad reviews are really bad and claims of being inaccurate.

Anyone in the tax/computer world have any input?

Caleb

I've almost always used Turbo Tax. I recently paid an accountant to do mine and the end number was the same as what I got in Turbo Tax (TT was a fair bit cheaper). Then the next year, I paid HR Block to do mine. Again, the number was the same as TT but TT was cheaper. This year I just used TT and feel confident in what it calculated.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Redwood tax. The only time I ever had irs issues is when I used TT. I'll pay a bit more to have someone else take on the responsibility. Dallas is a good guy. Tell him I sent you and I think we both will get a discount.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
No experience with HR, but I've used Turbo tax for the past three years and have always been happy. I used it again last night and it was smooth as ever. This is the earliest I've ever filed.

CobraNutt

Not much help in comparing tax programs, but I've used TT since 1999. I've checked a few times over the years with an accountant friend and the numbers come out the same, but mine are simple. Oh...and I already got my Federal refund back last night...10 days after filing. Not bad! [emoji4]

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

rustyoljeep

Soon to be Flinstoning it
I've always used Turbo Tax without an issue, but since I moved across state lines this year it seems to be struggling a wee bit so I was thinking about going into H&R block to make sure it gets done right.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Ok so I decided to see how bad turbo tax was this year.

Downloaded from amazon without a hiccup.

Honestly i I can't see what different than before except it cost $10 more than last year. Pretty painless.

R

rockdog

I use turbo Steve!!! Ran around together as teenagers. He is painless and knows his stuff. Damn good CPA and has helped me with other decisions that affect my tax outcome and not spending time in a cage with bubba! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pike2350

Another website to use is Taxslayer.com I've used them for quite a few years and have liked them. I pay the premium price for state and local because I have rental property and depreciation, and all that...and want the audit help if I ever need it....I just filed mine this year and it was $50 combined to e-file.....I don't balk at that...I think the basic is like $20 for federal and $10 for state or something...but not 100% sure.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I usually try to do mine on both Turbo Tax and HR Block. I usually end up using Turbo Taxes numbers. This year HR blocks software was a pain in the butt and I just filed mine with Turbo tax.

Luckily I had enough kids to deduct so I can pay off the two new accidents with my return.

Someday, I'll be able to use it for something even more fun.