U4WDA Group on Yahoo!

Mother Deuce

I just subscribed to U4WDA's group on Yahoo! WHOLLLY SPAM! In the last 3 days I have deleted about 100 e-mails from members of this group. I unsubscribed but they keep on coming. These e-mails do not include any pertinent U4WDA news, granted I haven't read them all but the ones I did read were chit chat that can be found anywhere else on this forum. I thought this was a news group for U4WDA members - maybe I just have a different definition of "news."

Any idea who is in charge of this group? I don't want to be anti-social, but I just don't have that much time on my hands. If I want to read who's who and what's what, I'll come here. There's more than enough entertainment on RME.

Bone Down

I un subscribed today as well via the unsubscribe option at the bottom of the email... and I received a confimration email that I replied to as instructed... I hope it works...

I deleted 34 emails today alone none of which had anything to do with tech data or U4WDA events and/or business.

Caleb

honestly, that list is the slowest list you'll ever be on. 99.9% of the time it is only news and info pertinent (sp?) to U4. I've been on it for I don't know how many years (atleast a couple) and have only received a small handful of messages. However, as you guys said this last week has had a bunch of messages...I don't know for sure but I think they just sent out a bunch of invites to the list, give it another week or so and you won't even know you are on it :D (until you get the info that's it's intended for)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Just create a message rule that will send them all to a seperate folder in your outlook (or other email client). This way you can go back and read them later if any of them interest you.

And no, none of it is really "spam" by definition...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Mother Deuce said:
... I thought this was a news group for U4WDA members - maybe I just have a different definition of "news."

I share the same definition as you... We (U4WDA BOD) are talking about how to resolve the issue, I will let you know what we decide. I must admit, I turned off the email too :rolleyes:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've gotten the same emails... they're getting old. :-\ Email lists are old tech, nothing more than trouble. Nothing is archived, hardly searchable, not categorized, etc.

They have mentioned the idea of a forum in the emails and we (RME) host a place specifically for the U4 to have their own forum on RME, as well as a U4 management sub-forum. I will do everything I can to support the U4, I like what they stand for and the reason they exist. Matter of fact, I'm working on setting up a club donation for RME members to painlessly join the U4. Sadly it seems like the feeling of support isn't mutual from some of the main, old-school U4 members.

Offroading in Utah is growing at a very quick rate... if the U4 isn't able to update it's communication process, how do they expect to keep up with the growing 4x issues out there?

(Me, being totally honest)

Mother Deuce

cruiseroutfit said:
I share the same definition as you... We (U4WDA BOD) are talking about how to resolve the issue, I will let you know what we decide. I must admit, I turned off the email too :rolleyes:
The unsubscribe worked, it just took a day to kick in. Thanks for your efforts to resolve. Peace, out. :cool:

Bart

I wouldn't unsubscribe just yet, it'll die down soon. The traffic is being caused all the new people that are trying to get the feel of the list environment. I've been on that list for at least 5 years and there has been more traffic in the last week and than in any year before now.

The list is a great source of newpaper articles that affect us and other things that are going on in the community.

Greg, I agree with what you said, but it is so much easier for me to get and read an email than to log on to a web forum. Maybe I'm archaic (ok, I am) but that's the way I like to receive my information. I'll go for days, sometimes weeks, without logging onto a forum, but I go through my emails regularly.

YMMV

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
Greg said:
I've gotten the same emails... they're getting old. :-\ Email lists are old tech, nothing more than trouble. Nothing is archived, hardly searchable, not categorized, etc.

They have mentioned the idea of a forum in the emails and we (RME) host a place specifically for the U4 to have their own forum on RME, as well as a U4 management sub-forum. I will do everything I can to support the U4, I like what they stand for and the reason they exist. Matter of fact, I'm working on setting up a club donation for RME members to painlessly join the U4. Sadly it seems like the feeling of support isn't mutual from some of the main, old-school U4 members.

Offroading in Utah is growing at a very quick rate... if the U4 isn't able to update it's communication process, how do they expect to keep up with the growing 4x issues out there?

(Me, being totally honest)

I agree. They didn't like me calling it "archaic" and comparing to to wheeling a handcart. :cool:

RWH said:
I agree. They didn't like me calling it "archaic" and comparing to to wheeling a handcart. :cool:

:rolleyes:

First off, the first thing I did was suggest to come over here to RME if you didn't like the list. (since Greg is the ONLY one that has stepped up to create a U4 forum, here or anywhere). Yup, I just checked the archive: That's the first thing I did. Ian and Marc had already replied about RME's U4 forum, and I added the following "This email list is here if you want to use it...if you like forums better, RME is the place to be." I'm not sure how that puts me against RME.

Email lists serve one purpose, forums serve another. Both are good. That list is just there as a tool...and just barely at that. It may not be the best tool for every task every time, but it works for some people. (kind of a stretch to think of Bart as "old-school"). Anyway, it works better than cc'ing everyone, which it replaced. And it comes to me, rather than having me go to it. Just a preference. These days I tow my junk with a td rather than a gasser, even though it's a f*rd. Right? Wrong? No, just a preference.

Second, I guess I'm the "old school member" referred to. I offended Greg at the winter convention and again on the list, (and perhaps before, I don't know). I didn't mean to, but I did. I have apologized directly to him. I admire and respect what he's done here, and appreciate the support he's given U4. I don't think anyone ever asked him, he's just done it. The things that I don't like about RME, he told me he doesn't like either. He's done a helluva job. I don't know how to be any more clear than that.

Third: No one except for Greg has ever offered to do a forum for U4. Oops, I said that already. Anyway, that's why there is not a forum at the U4 website. It's not that U4 is too old-school to have a forum. It is that U4 is just a bunch of volunteers, none of which knew how to do it until recently and no one has ever volunteered to do it until Greg did here at RME and again when Greg offered to link it to the U4 website.

You've heard it before: U4 is just a bunch of volunteers and members...folks on the board are just people that either wanted to help or wanted to do it better. That's why I joined in the early 90's, I wanted to belong to a state association that put on more trail rides and events, in addition to the land use stuff. Back then, changing the lift law was a pipe dream. Funding local "trail openings" is the next pipe dream I suppose. Cardiff Fork anyone? Pittsburg? Or maybe an Area BFE type thing...

Fourth: I was part of the discussion/decision to count online groups such as RME and jeep-slc as clubs. We should have done it long ago. We really didn't even think about it, until folks from RME started joining and brought it up. (most board members are members of both jslc, RME and others)

Lunchtime (and my forum viewing opportunity for the day) is about over.

See you on the trail.

Brett (hoping I cleared some things up and didn't make it worse)

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Maybe I just don't undersatnd how the whole Yahoo thing works. When I read the emails it's seems as if there is alot of missing information so it is hard to follow.

Brett, There is no doubt that U4 is a good thing. As a former member, I had some problems with my membership and some of the members were very quick to try to make it all work out. On the other hand, having one of your key members flack me some sh!t about questioning what was going on with my memebership just did not fly with me.

I will become a U4 member again.... when the time is right.

Shawn said:
Maybe I just don't undersatnd how the whole Yahoo thing works. When I read the emails it's seems as if there is alot of missing information so it is hard to follow.

Brett, There is no doubt that U4 is a good thing. As a former member, I had some problems with my membership and some of the members were very quick to try to make it all work out. On the other hand, having one of your key members flack me some sh!t about questioning what was going on with my memebership just did not fly with me.

I will become a U4 member again.... when the time is right.

I have the same problem with Yahoo groups, it seems to skip a bunch of messages.

Who gave you a hard time? We want to know about it. PM me if you don't want to post it here.

pELYgroso

'Merica
you all that are getting 100 emails a day need gmail!! I'm on the list and it automatically puts the "conversations" together into their "own" email so I don't have to scroll down through tons to delete them. I just delete the conversation, which is made of many email replies to the same beginning email, or read the whole thing, which is all right there and convenient. If you want it, you have to be invited but I'll invite anyone, so just gimme your email addy and I'll send you an invite. gmail rocks!! anyone agree?

oh yea, and they give you over 2 G's of space for FREE!! I've had it for aobut a year and am using 3% of the space allowed.

Caleb

pELYgroso said:
you all that are getting 100 emails a day need gmail!! I'm on the list and it automatically puts the "conversations" together into their "own" email so I don't have to scroll down through tons to delete them. I just delete the conversation, which is made of many email replies to the same beginning email, or read the whole thing, which is all right there and convenient. If you want it, you have to be invited but I'll invite anyone, so just gimme your email addy and I'll send you an invite. gmail rocks!! anyone agree?

oh yea, and they give you over 2 G's of space for FREE!! I've had it for aobut a year and am using 3% of the space allowed.
yeah, Gmail is good but there are some problems with it too, also, most guys get their email (gmail included) using an email client, that means the gmail conversation feature (which has issues anyways) won't work for them.

Supergper said:
yeah, Gmail is good but there are some problems with it too, also, most guys get their email (gmail included) using an email client, that means the gmail conversation feature (which has issues anyways) won't work for them.

Both outcrook and nutscrape have conversation and grouping features (though I find them irritating and only rarely use them, I just sort, depending on what I'm looking for)

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
Maverick said:
:rolleyes:

First off, the first thing I did was suggest to come over here to RME if you didn't like the list. (since Greg is the ONLY one that has stepped up to create a U4 forum, here or anywhere). Yup, I just checked the archive: That's the first thing I did. Ian and Marc had already replied about RME's U4 forum, and I added the following "This email list is here if you want to use it...if you like forums better, RME is the place to be." I'm not sure how that puts me against RME.

WHoa. lol I was just making a joke. I'm not against the Email list at all.

I just think there's should be a place where the issues are posted and commented on and can be archived and searched. Something that can be found by the Public via a search engine... That way anyone could stumble upon it, read OUR opinions as well as all the facts of Issues. Can't really do that with an email list. RME works fine for people who already know about it. My only contention is there really isn't a ton of info to be had just by looking at the U4WDA website. This isn't an attack on anyone, just things I think would help to educate ANYONE.