UDOT plow trucks

gatchmo5710

My dad ran one for years out of park city. He still talks about it. Wish I could have done it while in school at Utah state! I think stg only has one that ive ever seen...

RogueJeepr

Here!
When I was a kid, I got to ride along in my dad's semi w/tankers and a pup.
Hauling sulfuric acid to a power plant in castle dale.
I couldn't get out of the truck while he was unloading but I'll never forget the experience. Showed me all the houses in the mud from the Thissle slide.
His story from 1983.
"He was the last vehicle to get through there. Police had it barricaded off but allowed him to get through. The road was all buckled up and an hour later it slid".

It was a rough ride considering my seat had no air-ride. Could feel the constant back and forth from the liquid in the tankers.
Wish I could go again.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I drove plow for the last 9 years doing commercial removal. We had a couple kodiaks, but no full sized semi's. It's a lot of fun. Road rage like crazy though. People will see you plowing, then park right in front of you..

very relaxing to be plowing in large open spaces on a bright moon night in the early hours.

Coco

I grew up helping my grandfather haul milk in Idaho. So many good childhood memories where spent in that flatnosed Freightliner. I learned some good work ethic at a young age, and it was experiences I will never forget. Its a different feeling when you are up above everyone on the roads it feels like, in a big truck going from dairy farm to dairy farm down dirt/canal roads, and freeways. Just not a care in the world when I was with him, just grandfather and grandson. Wish I could still go, but when I turned ~13, he sold his business, and went to work for a bigger hauling company, and they were strict on no passengers. He has since retired, but be often reminisce on those experiences.

Sorry, nothing really to do with the UDOT plows, but I think that would be a fun experience as well. Its definitely fun on a 4 wheeler doing the driveways, can only imagine what it would be like in a plow truck! :D

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Just today I finished up installing an old freeway plow (about 12' wide) to the front of our RT forklift. It made quick work of clearing the new snow around our yard. You could ride along, but there is only one seat and it's an open cab (brrrrr). You know, you could just come plow for me next time.

Caleb

My sister's boyfriend drives a big UDOT one. I'll ask him if they allow ride-alongs. Although, I'm not sure if he does the freeway at all. I know on Christmas day he had to do parts of West Valley.

Speaking of riding all across the lanes. Monday morning on my way to the gym at 4:00, on SB I-15 they had 5 wide all the way on to the shoulder clearing the road. They had traffic backed up for quite a ways behind them. I was shocked at the amount of traffic behind them given the time of day it was at.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I hate when I get behind the plow line. Going up Parley's, i'll get up behind them as close as possible, then take an exit/onramp combo to get past them. I'd rather have untracked snow than the ice sheet they leave directly behind them.

I passed the plow line on I15 on xmas day. It was a 4 plow line and was only getting half of the right lane, so I used the right shoulder/half lane to pass them. I think (and assume) it pissed him off because he seemed to re-angle his blade so that the spray would hit my truck...which it did..and broke my windshield. I kind of deserved it, but my windshield had so many rock chips and was so pitted I needed a new one anyway.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Imagine if you spun in front of that plow truck Cody?
Have you seen that apocalypse truck episode from Mythbusters?

[video=youtube;3JtZDDQga4o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JtZDDQga4o[/video]

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I want to ride along when Greg is plowing the tracks

;)

20140203_100824_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

RogueJeepr

Here!
I hope they got that truck driver. Damn independent TDs think they own the road.

Edit; OK that was kinda harsh.

Last edited:

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Have you been in one of these Greg?

[video=youtube;SuX4G3znpDE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuX4G3znpDE[/video]

I have not, we don't get nearly enough snow to justify a rotary plow... I know they use an old, fully restored rotary on the Donner Pass.

That Wedge plow that I posted a photo of is super sketchy... it derails very easily and doesn't have it's own power... so it's pushed by at least 2 locomotives. Usually when it derails, it takes a bit to get it all stopped. The Wedge is good for busting thru snow slides, but that's about it.

Another tool we have available is the Jordan Spreader.... it has huge wings that extend out. It can move a LOT of snow and they've been using the hell out of it up in the high Colorado mountains.

20140203_102154_Richtone%28HDR%29-XL.jpg

RogueJeepr

Here!
Any info on the GM snowplow near lakeside.
I went through that a few years ago. Pretty cool.
Im not much of a train guy but aren't the GMs kinda rare ?