Other Region Upcoming Trip: Rubicon Trail Lake Tahoe, CA Sept 5-8th 2012

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
1) my current carrier will be retained when I (eventually) regear, so the locker won't need to be replaced

this for me makes the most sense to me, only spend the money once... I have a thick set of gears in my D44, they aren't a bad thing, but I would only do now what you wont have to re-due later. Everyone has an opinion, doesn't mean its right for you. I liked having my rear locked, but both is where its at. :)

my last rig was locked front and open rear, and I felt it climbed better than my rigs that are locked rear and open front. :thumbs:

A lot of it comes down to "knowing how your rig will react"

Either way, sorry I changed the topic... LOL I will not further disrupt scheduled broadcasting :)

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I honestly think you will be better off locking the front. The D30 is plenty strong for a locker and up to 35's. With a locked front and LSD in the rear you will be much more capable than just a locker in the rear with the front open.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
As a last resort to thinking things through, I spend some time on the phone with Matt (who will install the locker for me) to see what he thinks. He has years and years of experience building rigs and wheeling them, so I know he'll steer me straight. Sure enough, he pointed out something I hadn't thought of: you're most likely to need the locker while climbing, and in that situation weight will transfer off the nose and to the rear... which would make a lone locker in the tail more beneficial than one up front. To solidify the decision, I did some additional checking and found out there are at least three companies who make thick 4.56 r&p gear sets for the Dana44, so I have options there when I eventually upgrade to 35s. So I pulled the trigger and had my parts guy order the diff and the compressor.

Combined with the Tuffy storage center, that's $1500 I have already spent this week for this Rubicon trip. It better be worth it. ;)

(Oh, and don't tell my wife!)

lhracing

If you can only put a locker in one axle do the rear. I have lockers front and rear and very seldom use the front. With the front locked they just don't steer so you are always unlocking it. As for when you need a locker the most it is in high flex situations when one tire unloads you stop moving.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
An extra day would be nice for some fishing and just relaxing, I can catch trout for everyone for dinner. I might pack so that I do not need to carry a cooler, or may borrow or rent an ARB fridge because steaks are yummy, we will see.

From the pictures and video I have seen, Hanging Tree doesn't share a lot in common with the terrain of the Rubicon, and Rattlesnake Rapids is easy in comparison. I may end up just throwing 33's on the Jeep and drive it out if I don't have a tow rig by then.

Steve, have you had a chance to see what it will cost to rent a welder? I am far more worried about a weld breaking than anything else to be honest. I have spare front axle shafts and will likely bring rears as well, and a spare front hub and drive lines. Probably pick up a winch too.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I think if you can manage to have every other rig with a winch, one in the front and one for the trail gunner for sure. Obviously Steve is the trail lead on this one and if you don't have a winch at least the guy behind you and space them out it would be a good idea.

I really hope I can make this and if I do I would gladly take the trail gunner role. I failed at it once and I will never fail at it again.

sixstringsteve

I think if you can manage to have every other rig with a winch, one in the front and one for the trail gunner for sure. Obviously Steve is the trail lead on this one and if you don't have a winch at least the guy behind you and space them out it would be a good idea.

I really hope I can make this and if I do I would gladly take the trail gunner role. I failed at it once and I will never fail at it again.

I failed as a leader since my CB didn't work. I hope you can make it too, you're a great tail-gunner. I don't have a winch, but I do have a tow strap.

An extra day would be nice for some fishing and just relaxing, I can catch trout for everyone for dinner. I might pack so that I do not need to carry a cooler, or may borrow or rent an ARB fridge because steaks are yummy, we will see.

Kurt rents the fridges as well.

From the pictures and video I have seen, Hanging Tree doesn't share a lot in common with the terrain of the Rubicon, and Rattlesnake Rapids is easy in comparison. I may end up just throwing 33's on the Jeep and drive it out if I don't have a tow rig by then.

Last time I did radiator rapids was in the snow and it was not even a little bit easy. Although Hanging Tree is a different terrain, it does share some similarities, and it's a great way to test the limits of your rig before you head out 600 miles to find out the hard way that you're not ready. Plus it's a fun trail and I need an excuse to run it. :D

Steve, have you had a chance to see what it will cost to rent a welder? I am far more worried about a weld breaking than anything else to be honest. I have spare front axle shafts and will likely bring rears as well, and a spare front hub and drive lines. Probably pick up a winch too.

I don't remember. Best bet would be to contact Kurt @ cruiseroutfitters, he rents them.

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I may come on this, I'll figure it out soon. If I come I have a welder, if I don't you can just take mine.

turbominivan.... Lock the front and leave the rear alone. If your trackloc is functioning properly,(still tight) your rig will go anywhere you want with the assistance of a front locker. I wouldn't worry about a selectable, throw in a powertrax and spend the cash on t case gearing, you will be more capable that way and put less strain on your drivetrain.

That's my advice, but what do I know....I just drive a samurai

sixstringsteve

Sorry Scott, you can't come, your tires are too small ;)

I really hope you make this one. Trips just aren't the same without you and Alice. Plus I want to see you take your zuk and trailer through the sluice box.

4biker

I would love to attend this one Steve, just not sure I could tolerate that long of a drive in the ole' runner. I know she'll make it, but HITR pushed how much seat time I want to spend in that thing on the highway.

Well my Fall hunts just got shut down by the Air Force so as we get closer if there is still room I will try and swing it.

I may come on this, I'll figure it out soon. If I come I have a welder, if I don't you can just take mine.

Man, I hope all you guys can come. It's a long drive, and long trail, but this is the Rubicon! Who's going to hold my hand when I'm scared?

Steve, looking forward to the shakedown runs. I've got some changes to make to the 4Runner, and some work to do on my technique (um, experience).

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

turbominivan.... Lock the front and leave the rear alone. If your trackloc is functioning properly,(still tight) your rig will go anywhere you want with the assistance of a front locker. I wouldn't worry about a selectable, throw in a powertrax and spend the cash on t case gearing, you will be more capable that way and put less strain on your drivetrain.

That's my advice, but what do I know....I just drive a samurai

I did great with 32" and 33" tires on my XJ with the d35/track lock and the d30/arb combo. I wouldn't put more than gear lube into that d35 though

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I was just reading on another forum and I'm not sure if you covered it, I couldn't find it anyway. Permits are required for camp fires and any kind of stove, guy said they are free but just make sure to get it taken care of. also somebody mentioned something about a fee for camping at the springs but I'm not sure what exact area they were talking about.

4biker

Just beware..... If I come Spencer I'll be bugging you of an adjustment every night. The last trip I went home because my back was killing me.

You got it. I'll do whatever I can without my six-foot, three hundred poud adjusting table. Seriously, if we need to i can make it happen. It'll be a new technique.

brikar

Assuming you are running the trail as most...south to north... there is a forest service campground before you hit ice house, and the campground host can issue your permit...free of charge....one is all that is needed for a group (unless they have changed rules) basically you sign your life away if you start a fire.
Also sixstringsteve, i would imagine you already have it but if you want a sweet map get Charles Wells northern california book...you can not get lost with it and it will give you mileages all the time so you will know where you are at and you can watch your time...it is pretty much pretty hard to get lost on this trail though, it is straightforward, once you cross the dam you are on it, just stay to the trail...just catch the right turn a little ways after thousand dollar hill....we missed it once and eventually hit the dead end...not a total loss though it is a fun dead end trail!!! a little retracing and we were off again.