Urgent Bad news for Utah

sixstringsteve

Thanks for bringing that to our attention Sarge. It's sickening. I'd better get one last trip into Elephant Hill and the white rim trail before it's closed.

How do we send a letter to the president?

sixstringsteve

"Leaders of the outdoor industry — including Mountain Hardware, The North Face and Patagonia — say they know they're going up against political opposition in Utah and want to take the idea to a national level."

So in other words, it's not what Utah wants, so we're going to take it up to a national level so we can get non-utahns to decide what happens in Utah. Nice. Sounds like the Union is seceding from us.

sixstringsteve

northface, patagonia, mountain hardware, rei, black diamond. Too bad really, I used to shop at some of those stores. It's going to be hard to support REI, knowing that they want to prevent my access to my favorite areas to camp in. I'll be sending them an email as well.

I'm sick of people thinking that by closing off land they're somehow "protecting" it for future generations. They're not. They're closing it. My kids won't be able to recreate there either, they'll be locked out just like we are.

brandonlmb

brandonlmb
I just bought a "two face" backpack two weeks ago. I am taking it back to Scheels this week. I know they are liberal leaning but I can't support people, groups, and or companies like this. Seriously RMERS let's make our voices heard and felt in our state and businesses. We have many different land use organizations but lets all stand together on this, make our politians Know they work for us the people of Utah. Call, email, set appointments with our Senators and Represenatives and let them know we will not stand for this. I am hoping to see more people comment in this thread and will help take action. Sorry for this rant but this is going to get out of control fast.

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
Thats why I'm posting this everywhere! Pickiting is not out of the question! Could you imagin so pickiting on Black Friday! trucks with trailers with jeeps and such on them just happen to break down at the enterance?

Last edited:

Team1k

I am a little amused by this quote " Visitors to the area who do not use ORVs, and who comprise the vast majority of visitors to Greater Canyonlands..."

When i am down in Moab i rarely see these "other" visitors who apparently comprise the majority of visitors. I personally believe if off road travel was banned in Moab then that town would die, just from my observations. Its the ORV people i generally see booking the hotels, buying the gas for our tow rigs and vehicles, eating at the restaurants, etc...

As opposed to the bicyclists, runners, and "others" who camp out in the free areas, get 25+ MPG so they dont ever fill up, and bring their own food. Dont get me wrong, i love cycling, cooking my own food, and staying at the free places once in a while. This is just my observation.

That being said i realize they are talking about canyonlands so that may be a whole other animal. Perhaps ORV are not as prevalent there?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Thats why I'm posting this everywhere! Pickiting is not out of the question! Could you imagin so pickiting on Black Friday! trucks with trailers with jeeps and such on them just happen to break down at the enterance?

Or just fill up their parking lots the night before so customers get pissed off and leave, as I don't believe I have ever seen a "no loitering" sign at REI. I just hope the resentment doesn't get to the point that the Jeep crowd won't stop to help the "non-jeepers" if they are broken down or injured, because that's not how it works.

sswens1

4x4's are allowed on the designated roads in the national park now(elephant hill, bobbys hole, confluence overlook), when I read this originally I was pretty concerned and still am. How can a national monument trump a national park and close existing roads and designated trails? I will send a letter to my representatives. It is so disturbing that this happened with no representation from ORV recreators. I've picked up plenty of Guu wrappers, waterbottles, and supplement bar wrappers out there and I would never think to close a mtn bike/hiking/running trail because I enjoy that too. Its obviously one sided and I hope our president is smart enough to see that.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
"Greater Canyonlands", it says. I don't think this would have any effect on the National Park at all, I think this will threaten access to trails outside the Park.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Abigail Adams wrote these words to John Adams, our second President, at the beginning of the Revolutionary War.
"You cannot be, nor do I wish to see you an inactive spectator..... We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them."
Without people getting behind the efforts of U4WDA, BRC, UNITED FWDA, AND USA-ALL not only with money but active participation this sport will always be open to attack and subjugation without a chance of winning the battles. How many clubs that belong to U4 actually send representatives to the meetings? How many times have you seen posts like this in RME where there is a spurt of interest and activity only to be gone within a week? Unless we start being more dedicated to our sport we will always just be INACTIVE SPECTATORS.
So look in the mirror and decide how long you want to enjoy your sport.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If this passes, Moab is dead.

Humor me, which motorized trails does it close?

I've sat through a presentation on the GC proposal, whole I don't agree with it and agree it should be researched, discussed and disputed. However, calling it the 'end of Moab' is the same logic as saying Moab will end without it imo.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Humor me, which motorized trails does it close?

I've sat through a presentation on the GC proposal, whole I don't agree with it and agree it should be researched, discussed and disputed. However, calling it the 'end of Moab' is the same logic as saying Moab will end without it imo.

Very valid point. I disagree with it in it's entirety, but that's not to say that we should stomp around and be ignorant as to what's actually going on. This needs to be looked at deeply and we need to be involved as a community and get some push/pull going on with legislators so that they understand how much we actually care and not that we just read some sensationalized headline and that our involvement will fall off the radar a week later.