Urgent Bad news for Utah

sixstringsteve

For those curious why it matters if they stay on the trail or not, here's proof that that SUWA uses photos of off-trail activities to further their agenda. And frankly, I agree with SUWA to the extent that you shouldn't be allowed to just drive your OHV or Truck/Jeep wherever you feel like it. I agree with protecting our areas through responsible recreation and use. That being said, part of that is actually keeping access and routes to these areas open.

http://dev.suwa.org/wp-content/uploads/PetitionWithPhotos_Exhibits_FINAL.pdf

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

No kidding. Too bad we don't have 10% the energy and organization that they do. Then again, their full-time-job is to write that crap.

jentzschman

Just sent a message to both Jim Matheson and Orin Hatch asking for there help in protecting out lands for OHV use. Please do the same to your respective representative.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Just sent a message to both Jim Matheson and Orin Hatch asking for there help in protecting out lands for OHV use. Please do the same to your respective representative.
This is something we all need to do. Make sure it is to your representative and add Mike Lee.

Team1k

Ok so i havent read the whole article and i will admit im not an activist so these may seem like basic questions but here are a few questions for those of you "in the know"

First this quote

"In a survey conducted by Utah State University, owners of ORVs reported that they prefer to ride off trail, and in fact, do ride off trail. Specifically, 49% of the ATV riders and 38% of the motorcycle riders report that they prefer to ride off-trail, and 39% of the ATV riders and 50% of the motorcycle riders responded that they did, in fact, ride off-trail on their last trip"

One example is out at 5 mile pass there is a path that connects the main trail heading up towards the mining equipment, to waynes world. A few years ago this wasnt there, then i noticed motorbikes riding it, that made it into a permanent looking trail and soon 4 wheelers were on it, then side by sides, and just the other week i saw vehicles on it. My question is in your experience does the motorcycle/atv community start alot of these problems or is it the 4x4 vehicles doing the most damage? Then to play devils advocate, should 5 mile pass be considered a sacrifice area? Just let people do as they please with the realization that in the grand scheme of things that area is fairly small so is it truly affecting the whole environment if that area has new trails blazed and new obstacles discovered? I would venture a guess that the original mining trails in that area did not go up waynes world, that trail was created by someone, perhaps going off the beaten path, and now it is accepted as the trail? Or did they actually go out with a BLM rep, say they wanted to blaze a path to that obstacle, fill out a bunch of paperwork, do an impact study, and then get permission to make the trail?

Another thing about the article that concerns me is many of those filing the complaints are talking about how they like to backpack, day hike, raft, etc... in these areas but dont like hearing the noise of ORVs, seeing the trails, etc.... To me this seems fairly selfish to want to close off access to public land to those that may not be able to spend 3 days backpacking in, or may be physically impaired. How is it fair or right to restrict this access to those individuals while allowing others rights to the area? Or what about those who may only get one chance to visit Moab and only have a limited amount of time? Seems they will be punished by being forced to hike/pack in everywhere which translates into not being able to see much as opposed to all the scenic beauty and adventure that can be had in an off road vehicle.

Apologies in advance for these questions if they are on the newbie side of things. Please try to be kind in your responses :)

sixstringsteve

Glad to see you taking notice Team1K, everyone's got to start somewhere. I suggest you keep digging and asking these questions and start becoming an activist. In fact, anyone who uses these trails needs to become an activist to some degree. SUWA has thousands of activists, and most have never even been to Utah, let alone been on these trails. If we don't start getting some activists in the 4x4 world, our voice will never be heard.

That report from SUWA is anything but fair and balanced. They are extremely biased and invent a lot of their "facts." They go off-trail in their cars to take the photos they do. Plus it's their full-time job. The more donations they get, the more lawsuits they can file, and the more damage they can do.

The issue I see with allowing people to drive wherever they want at 5mp (or anywhere) is that their practices will soon become their habbit. They'll think that trails are more of a suggestion. They'll go to Moab and think "that's an awesome obstacle, I'm going to go hit it" without realizing, weighing, or thinking about the fact that they're driving off-trail. I don't believe any one group is to blame for trail widening, erosion, new trail creation, and off-trail use. Hikers, horseback, mountainbikers, jeepers, atv, motorcyclists, we all have to be educated users of the land and take care of it.

I just wanted to show one small example where SUWA uses photos of illegal trail use to paint us all as the enemy. If we all stayed on the trail, we wouldn't have to worry about incriminating photos that make us all look bad. Even if SUWA didn't exist, I still wouldn't want people thinking we as 4x4 drivers go wherever we want, regardless of legality. Imagine if every trail in Moab was as wide as Potato Salad Hill. It sure would change the experience for me.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

not my best letter, but it's a start.

"Dear Congressman Matheson,

I choose to live in Utah because of it's amazing beauty and my ability to spend time in nature here. I go camping around 50-75 nights out of the year, most of which is in Utah. I enjoy hiking, canyoneering, rappelling, mountain biking, horseback riding, motorcycling, and driving my 4x4 in Utah’s beautiful backcountry. Utah has such amazing resources and I am committed to protecting them for my future children.

To me, the most important part of protecting Utah for generations to come revolves around responsible recreation and land-use. If my favorite places to camp and recreate are closed, they will not be “protected for my children,” they will be “off-limits to future generations.” That is not my idea of protection. To me, protection of these areas includes protecting the routes to and through the areas. I want my children to be able to camp where I camped as a kid, and I want to hike on the same trails and bike the same areas that I did when I was younger. The bottom line is, we need to keep these lands accessible to the public. I enjoy hiking, fishing, biking, horseback, motorcycle riding, and backcountry travel in my car. I don't enjoy OHV riding, but I feel that they have just as much a right to our roads/trails as any other group and they should not be singled out.

I am deeply concerned with the idea that President Obama may push to make the greater canyonlands area a National Monument. Some of my favorite memories made here in Utah come from trips to this area in particular. The memories remind me of responsible backcountry travel on my bikes, hiking, and my 4x4. If this area were deemed a national monument, I would lose access to hundreds of my favorite camping spots, hiking trails, jeep trails, and mountain bike spots; access that my children will never enjoy either.

I believe we need a balanced approach; people shouldn’t be able to recreate wherever they please. We need designated trails, responsible land use, and dedicated stewards to pull this off. I feel that the existing backcountry roads and rules in Utah do a fantastic job of keeping our native utah beautiful and accessible at the same time. Please consider my family's plea to keep Utah's roads accessible to future generations.

I urge you to promote responsible use of all existing roads to leave these areas accessible to me and my family for generations to come. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Steve"

Also sent to Mike Lee and Orin Hatch (with the "Dear" part changed of course). Please don't copy my message. Use it as a springboard to put your thoughts into words and make your own message.

Last edited:

sswens1

Thanks for the example it helped get my gears turning. Messages sent to Congressman Matheson, Senator Hatch, and Senator Lee.

SportSawyer

... First this quote

"In a survey conducted by Utah State University, owners of ORVs reported that they prefer to ride off trail, and in fact, do ride off trail. Specifically, 49% of the ATV riders and 38% of the motorcycle riders report that they prefer to ride off-trail, and 39% of the ATV riders and 50% of the motorcycle riders responded that they did, in fact, ride off-trail on their last trip"

SUWA is being dishonest when they use that to support this: "There is another significant aspect to this problem: too frequently, ORV users knowingly violate existing rules that govern ORV use."

If you look carefully at the survey questions, raw data, time-of-year the survey was conducted (for last trip), what the actual management was at the time (2000-2001), how open-ended questions were categorized by the survey takers, etc, etc, etc. it's easy to see that the "off trail" use could have been in places where "off trail" use was NOT a violation of existing rules (dunes, open areas, ...). They can't conclude this use was a violation of law at the time, and they know it.

Get a complete copy of the survey, with all the questions and the answers to open-ended questions, then consider the survey timeline and the management conditions of the various BLM Field Offices and National Forests at that time.

Last edited:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
MORE OF THE SAME TYPE OF INFORMATION.
utah-landuse-update-banner.jpg

ANOTHER MASSIVE NATIONAL MONUMENT PUSHED IN UTAH!
Greetings Utah BRC members and supporters...
Given the news of this week, we felt a need to update our update. We hate to inundate your inbox like this, but the threat is real, and you need to know about it.
Situation:
For whatever reason (November election, perhaps?) the Washington, DC.., Wilderness Lobby has twisted their proverbial throttle to "WIDE OPEN."
From Montana, we learn the Wilderness lobbyists feel "emboldened by election results" and are pushing the incredulously named "Forest Jobs and Recreation Act." That's Montana Senator Jon Tester's pitch to add an additional 600,000 acres to Montana's already impressive 3.5 million plus acres of Wilderness.
And in California, our friends at the American Lands Rights Association recently sent an action alert noting plans for yet another new National Park are in overdrive. Ditto for Wilderness efforts in Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada.
But Utah has been at the top of the Wilderness lobbyist's list for a long time, and yesterday we learned that they are pushing the Obama Administration to unilaterally declare a new gargantuan (1.4 million acre!!) National Monument in southeast Utah.
Long time BRC members will know this idea is not new. It has been one of SUWA's strategic goals since the early 1990s.
The environmental extremists are hard on the gas now, with the Outdoor Industry Council (OIA) on board, along with the help of Aron Ralston. Aron is the guy who got trapped by a rock when hiking alone in the remote Utah backcountry -- and had to cut his hand off! (He was ultimately rescued by Utah's Emery County Search and Rescue). Ralston cashed in on his unfortunate accident via the movie "127 Hours," and is promoting it via his greenie lobbying efforts.
Phil Taylor, with E&E news,has the story in a November 13, 2012, Greenwire article:
Outdoor industry calls for Utah Canyonlands monument
https://www.sharetrails.org/public-...door-industry-calls-utah-canyonlands-monument
OIA erroneously tells President Obama that you, dear OHV enthusiast, are a big problem:
Federal land use plans inappropriately open scenic and undeveloped land to drilling and mining and fail to address exploding off-road vehicle use that is damaging riparian areas, cultural sites, soils and solitude.
"Exploding" OHV use? That's a lie. I don't have to tell you that the BLM's new travel plan closed over 50% of the roads and trails. OIA say's it's the "leading voice of the outdoor industry." What a joke. OIA's advocacy efforts have devolved into nothing more than being corporate shills for the Wilderness Society. Sheesh...
What you can do
Below are a couple of things you can do to help defend Utah's roads and trails. A couple of the action items are simple and won't take much of your time. Others involve supporting Utah's access champions with a generous check.
I know... I know... we're always asking for money. But our history shows that with only a fraction of the funding these Wilderness Lobby organizations have, we can match their efforts toe to toe, and sometimes even beat them at their own game. BRC is not funded by big powersports businesses, despite what SUWA might say. Your financial support is critical if we are to keep Utah's Red Rock Roads open.
http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2004/06/15/supreme-court-victory-ohvers
Action Items:
Renew your membership in Utah's Pro Access Organizations:

Utah Shared Access Alliance (CLICK HERE)
BlueRibbon Coalition (CLICK HERE)
Take Action to keep Utah's Coral Pink Sand Dunes open
http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2012/11/08/blueribbon-coalition-utah-land-use-update-
Learn about and support BRC's efforts to beat another SUWA lawsuit:
Will environmentalist lawsuits close Utah's icon OHV areas such as Moab and the San Rafael Swell? (CLICK HERE)
Donate $$ to beat SUWA (CLICK HERE)
Support your politicians that support your recreational access!
CLICK HERE, enter your zip code, and encourage your U.S. House and Senate rep to oppose these efforts!
Thank you in advance for your membership renewal and your financial support. It really isn't a cliché‚.... Membership is our Lifeblood!
As always, please call or email with questions or comments,
Brian Hawthorne Ric Foster
Public Lands Policy Director Public Lands Department Manager
BlueRibbon Coalition BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102 208-237-1008 ext 107

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible recreation, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. With members in all 50 states, BRC is focused on building enthusiast involvement with organizational efforts through membership, outreach, education, and collaboration among recreationists. The Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) season is here. Federal employees, please mark BlueRibbon Coalition and Check #11402 on your CFC pledge form to support our efforts to protect your access. Join us at 1-800-258-3742 or [url]http://www.sharetrails.org[/URL]
As a non-profit, grassroots organization funded primarily by membership dues and donations, we greatly appreciate your support. Visit http://www.sharetrails.org/make-a-difference-now to help fund our efforts to protect your trails!

--
Stay current with BRC via Facebook | MySpace | Twitter | RSS

To update your preferences, including which of our lists you're subscribed to, visit this link

To permanently remove yourself from ALL email lists maintained by the BlueRibbon Coalition, visit this link

To forward this message to someone, visit this link