USRA rnd 5 Firebirds 4-18-15

djgardner

Valve Issues (Wendover, bike kept stalling on the last test)...then overheated my bike (which cooked the clutch) at Yost...I was able to finish the three tests on the last loop but I was going very slow (really I should have just stopped, but I didn't)...then I busted off the chain guide at the rhino rally this year.

I technically only DNF'd rhino rally...but the other two I was able to limp in for a finish...but I haven't had a clean race in a long time.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Valve Issues (Wendover, bike kept stalling on the last test)...then overheated my bike (which cooked the clutch) at Yost...I was able to finish the three tests on the last loop but I was going very slow (really I should have just stopped, but I didn't)...then I busted off the chain guide at the rhino rally this year.

I technically only DNF'd rhino rally...but the other two I was able to limp in for a finish...but I haven't had a clean race in a long time.
Sounds like it is time for an orange 2 smoker.

djgardner

I have not broke it, what makes you think you can break it?:D

The way my past races have gone...I'm pretty sure I can break anything. lol

How about this, rather than race it...I would like to spend some time on it (not in a race setting) just to see how I like the 300. I've been riding some new fuel injected 450's lately and have been very impressed...so I'd like to spend some real time on a 300 just to see how I like it. I've ridden them before, but its always just been short little rides (usually not even with any riding gear on). So I'd like to ride one for a few hours...is that possible?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The way my past races have gone...I'm pretty sure I can break anything. lol

How about this, rather than race it...I would like to spend some time on it (not in a race setting) just to see how I like the 300. I've been riding some new fuel injected 450's lately and have been very impressed...so I'd like to spend some real time on a 300 just to see how I like it. I've ridden them before, but its always just been short little rides (usually not even with any riding gear on). So I'd like to ride one for a few hours...is that possible?

Sure. I should have it back from California by our national.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My 15 year old son and I will be racing. I'm so excited already. Can't wait to see what it's all about. All the rain should make for awesome dirt!

I plan on buying temp numbers and usra memberships for both of us at the race.
So all I need is carpet for our pit and a fire extinguisher right?

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
My 15 year old son and I will be racing. I'm so excited already. Can't wait to see what it's all about. All the rain should make for awesome dirt!

I plan on buying temp numbers and usra memberships for both of us at the race.
So all I need is carpet for our pit and a fire extinguisher right?
registrations stickers and Spark arrestors!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm not sure how but it was a dust bowl at cherry Creek.
Had an awesome race. My boy and I both finished with no injuries, although I had multiple low speed get offs. I took 3rd in 35+ amateur 10 minutes behind Tyson. Not sure what my son took. He had some bike issues on the last leg of the 2nd loop but made the whole race. Thanks for all the help Tyson and Stratton.

Edit:looks like I took 91 overall. My boy took 181. Tyson took 79, beat me by 7 minutes and James beat him by 15 seconds! Way to go Tyson.

Last edited:

djgardner

What a fun course! All new course year (well 95% of it)....it was nice and challenging too. rocky technical trails are my kryptonite (well, they are way out of my comfort zone anyway), and I rode so tense the first loop that my arms pumped up and I couldn't hold on most of the first loop.

Then I forgot my water pack, so I did the entire race with no water...about the 15 mile mark on the second loop I started feeling the effects of that...my right leg started cramping, and my forearms...then i totally bonked about 10 miles or so from the finish (worst feeling ever).

I loved that second loop though, it was a total blast!

Ended up 31st overall and 4th 30+ expert. I wanted a top 20, but it wasn't in the cards...and I was happy to finish.

Nice to meet Tyson and James finally!

Cascadia

Undecided
I too loved the course. Except the last 3 miles. Although it was some fun easy stuff with minimal whoops I was beat. I battled with a few guys the entire last 30 miles so I was drained. The course was a blast with tons of rocky technical and tight corners in the cedars. So much fun. I wasn't looking forward to the race if it was last years course again.

I was done with racing after knolls. I cleaned my bike, took pics, and was so close to posting my bike for sale. Glad I didnt. I had a great time with old friends and meeting new friends. I was 2nd over 30 amateur and I think 20th overall amateur and 79th overall which I'm really happy with. I need to improve my fitness a lot.

Anybody for future reference, between the few of us that race there are plenty of spare parts or accessories. Come grab my spare camelback next time DJ.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I really enjoyed the race! After a not so stellar start I crawled through dust so thick I could barely see my handlebars. When it opened up a bit I let it rip in a mad dash to get out of the dust. Up into the trees and elevation I was super grateful for the rocky cross training I did at Skyler Howes' offroad class last weekend because those hills were gnarly. It seemed like there were 10 or 15 riders strewn about each hill climb in various states of crashes and I passed a lot of riders. I loved the narrow rocky stuff and it seemed like the nastier it got the more people I passed. I especially liked the rocky downhill sections.

I kept hearing Skyler's voice in my head, "elbows up! back straight! unlock your hips! butt back! look further out! Don't follow you line into your tire!"

It was really fun, I only blew one turn and got stuck on one hill climb when I hit a dead end trying a different line around downed riders.

Bike ran great and my pit crew was fast when I came in for fuel. The second loop was fun up in the trees and much less rocky. I even enjoyed the whoops, they were fairly consistent and not so big that I was intimidated. I had some great battles with riders who normally much better than me and being consistent got me the pass most of the time.

I feel good about the race and didn't leave much on the table. I finished second place over 30 novice and was only 1 minute 18 seconds out of 1st place.
I reached my goal of finishing top 25 overall novice with 17th out of 91 riders.

It was a hard course for certain though. Out of 8 riders in our group of friends we had 4 flats causing 3 DNF's/ single lap finishes.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
What a fun course! All new course year (well 95% of it)....it was nice and challenging too. rocky technical trails are my kryptonite (well, they are way out of my comfort zone anyway), and I rode so tense the first loop that my arms pumped up and I couldn't hold on most of the first loop.

Then I forgot my water pack, so I did the entire race with no water...about the 15 mile mark on the second loop I started feeling the effects of that...my right leg started cramping, and my forearms...then i totally bonked about 10 miles or so from the finish (worst feeling ever).

I loved that second loop though, it was a total blast!

Ended up 31st overall and 4th 30+ expert. I wanted a top 20, but it wasn't in the cards...and I was happy to finish.

Nice to meet Tyson and James finally!

You had a great start DJ. You were inside the top 10 at the water trough.