USRA rnd 5 Firebirds 4-18-15

djgardner

You had a great start DJ. You were inside the top 10 at the water trough.

I noticed that when I watched my helmet cam footage back...I got a good jump but got swallowed in the dust. I latched on to Taryn Taylor off the start when it turned north...and so I'm pretty sure I was in the top 10 into the trees.

My arms pumped up so bad I got passed at least 20 times. My camera turned off about 20 minutes into the race so I'm not sure how many, but I stopped counting at 12.

That great start makes me even more frustrated...I haven't had arm pump in years! (At least not to the point that I couldn't hold on anyway).

djgardner

I too loved the course. Except the last 3 miles. Although it was some fun easy stuff with minimal whoops I was beat. I battled with a few guys the entire last 30 miles so I was drained. The course was a blast with tons of rocky technical and tight corners in the cedars. So much fun. I wasn't looking forward to the race if it was last years course again.

I was done with racing after knolls. I cleaned my bike, took pics, and was so close to posting my bike for sale. Glad I didnt. I had a great time with old friends and meeting new friends. I was 2nd over 30 amateur and I think 20th overall amateur which I'm really happy with. I need to improve my fitness a lot.

Anybody for future reference, between the few of us that race there are plenty of spare parts or accessories. Come grab my spare camelback next time DJ.

I appreciate that, and will remember that in the future. Oddly enough, it didn't even occur to me to even ask to borrow one from someone else.

I know some guys don't drink much water during a race...but I will easily down an entire two liter bladder over the course of a race...so I need it big time.

Cascadia

Undecided
I can't race without water. Especially in that dust. You were gone at banner drop but looks like Daniel didn't have as good of a start. A few kicks maybe? I could only see yall for 25 feet then it was all a blur. Ha.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I had a blast, It was horrible dusty at the start, I felt like I got a good jump and was up in the front 25% of the pack until I hit a wall of dust near the first corner, I couldn't see past my front fender, I remember bracing to get hit from behind, once we got into the trees it was clear, fast and fun. past the most riders in the first 10 miles than I have ever since I moved up to expert, then about 25 miles into the race someone swapped and cleaned me out! bent my front end up pretty good. got my bars staight but they were still rotated up, so I was having some serious arm pump issues the rest of the first loop being in an awkward position, had a great pit then went out and really enjoyed loop two. I had the opportunity to use my new neck brace catching a tree branch with my visor mid air second gear pinned, tweaked my neck hard and about 20 miles into loop two exhaustion started to set in and soon after I got a flat front tire. luckily my tubless lock allowed me to finish the race, but not without a ton more fore arm pump from fighting the front end.. overall had a blast and my random suspension set-up felt the best it has all season. finished third in 0/40 expert and 78 overall.

djgardner

I can't race without water. Especially in that dust. You were gone at banner drop but looks like Daniel didn't have as good of a start. A few kicks maybe? I could only see yall for 25 feet then it was all a blur. Ha.

My brother can't buy a start...if he could pull a decent start I think he could be inside the top 5...he ended up 10th overall (according to the unofficial results on Moto-Tally...I counted him 12th on the board) with that start.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
My brother can't buy a start...if he could pull a decent start I think he could be inside the top 5...he ended up 10th overall (according to the unofficial results on Moto-Tally...I counted him 12th on the board) with that start.
He is on it and I agree, with a decent start, he could be right there easily inside the lower to mid top 10. Are his starts suffering from a bike that is not firing right away or is he just not getting a good jump off the line?

Cascadia

Undecided
I was right behind on the line and it looked like he had to kick a few times. James and DJ were 50 feet out by the time Daniel got off the line.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
DJ. Tell him to get a hold of me next time he goes out and I will see if I can help him with his starts. I learned some good techniques when I went down to a Destry Abbot class a couple years ago.

djgardner

DJ. Tell him to get a hold of me next time he goes out and I will see if I can help him with his starts. I learned some good techniques when I went down to a Destry Abbot class a couple years ago.

I will for sure let him know. He'll appreciate that. He and I are figuring out this whole desert racing thing on our own....so he'll appreciate any advice he can get.

djgardner

Here is the first 10 minutes of my race...my helmet cam turned off a few minutes after this (the one thing I don't like about the Contour camera...you slide it forward to turn it on, and backwards to turn it off...and I hit a tree and the tree turned it off for me...LOVE IT!). It was a blessing in disguise though, because it turned off before my arms pumped up and I dropped anchor, so I didn't have to re-live getting passed a dozen times. LOL My pride couldn't take it.

[video=youtube;znn2oFPa-Ic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znn2oFPa-Ic[/video]

Last edited:

djgardner

Paul, shoot me a text with your phone number and I'll get it to Daniel...he's very interested in what you have to show him. 435-650-0830