vehicle advice, follow-up

Houndoc

Good info. Thanks, all! I hope Pokey isn't just trying to get more LR sold to keep is job in service going (kidding !)

Anyway, looks like I probably can't go to wrong with the 4runner, GC or Disco. I will just have to see what deals I find.

Any thoughts or experience with the newer Rodeos or Dakota Quad cab? Isuzu has great deals on their web page, so that warrants at least a passing thought (kinda small though) and the versitility of the Quad would be great, but is it to long (215")?

Drew

P

pokeyYJ

I think that one of the Land Cruisers would be cool as well, esp. with factory lockers! :D

Houndoc

pokeyYJ said:
I think that one of the Land Cruisers would be cool as well, esp. with factory lockers! :D

can't argue with that, but my pocket book might make a fuss.

Does anyone run or know anyone running the newer style Montero?

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Houndoc said:
can't argue with that, but my pocket book might make a fuss.

Does anyone run or know anyone running the newer style Montero?

I've seen a few stories on the Montero and it seems like a decent SUV. For off road I think I heard it had a rear locker. The ass hangs way far back so it going to smack alot.

The 91-97 (I think) Land Crusiers had the F/R and center locking diff options. Awsome of road if it would fit on the trail. The later years had the 4.5L 6 cylinder that was decent but underpowered for the weight. The early years had a 150 HP 6 cylinder what was WAY UNDERPOWERED! My friend had a '91 and it was solid as a rock but did a max of 35 mph up the canyons.

98- current Land Cruisers have IFS so no locker up front. Recenty I heard that the rear locker was deleted in favor of a computer traction control system.

They are expensive but built like a tank. Take a look at a 97 and se fi you like it.

Houndoc

Jay5.9L said:
I've seen a few stories on the Montero and it seems like a decent SUV. For off road I think I heard it had a rear locker. The ass hangs way far back so it going to smack alot.

That rear overhang is my big concern on the Montero as well. Otherwise seems like a pretty good little unit.

After all the discussion and searching and far too much time spent on the internet and at car lots (well, I will spend more time there) my finalists are the Montero (fun to drive, good visability and nicely equiped for price), Disco (probably the best off-road choice and great to drive, but the gas milage is a killer) and 4runner (great on paper-fuel economy, power, rear locker (w/V8) etc but lacks soul when you drive it.)

I guess my final choice will probably be made by who can get me the best deal.

Drew

Thanks for all the input.