vehicle registration question?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Herzog,
Looks like your rig isn't street legal. What do you do?

My rig is registered OHV, just like you would with a sandrail or dune buggy. :)

Because I didn't use the original chassis, I turned in my vin and received a new vin for my buggy (because I scraped the old chassis). Had I still used my original chassis is sounds like I could have just used my original vin.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
the state has looked at making OHV's legal on some state roads in some circumstances...maybe you can get involved in that process and add the amendment to suit your purposes. Actually, this is where you want to focus your efforts, so that you can drive your junk to and from the trailhead. Flashing lights, flag, blah blah blah and I bet it would have a chance. If you are serious about this, PM me for my number and let's talk.

I.M.O. this is DEFINITELY where the efforts should be focused Ghost Crawler.
I would personally be fully on board with this! I'd imagine that a lot of other RME members would support it as well.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I make mine street legal for the guys inspecting it. What I do with it after that is totally up to me. However, I'll need to return it to "street legality" for next years safety inspection.

I'm "mostly" legal, but don't have enough fender flare to be totally legal. I had to use some extended-extended flares to make the rig legal. I've got a horn, headlights, tail lights, windshield wipers and whatnot, though. For my uses, I like it "street legal". However, I have modified it from the time of safety inspection and I accept responsibility for that if I were to be pulled over or stopped.

Just for point of reference.

Rear view to show the flares/tires
nikonpics%20016.JPG

redrockcrawler

earth rover 2012
Wrong on all accounts. The only two things you give up are your VIN and title.

this is true
when you register as a ohv your original title is taken by the state and a new ohv title is issued to you also the state will issue a new vin plate (sticker) that must be placed on the vehicle and inspected by any police officer in the state you will have to get some paper work done and you need 4 pictures for the dmv and your done i have done this to two jeeps
that is all no removing of parts your just making a deal not to drive on public roads

also your jeep could still be impounded for driving on the street and there is a large fine as well

redrockcrawler

earth rover 2012
forget changing law the best approach i can think of is grand and san juan county making ohv friendly roads like in marysville & richfield area that would be much easier than congress

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
As I understand it Colorado and Arizona (are there others?) have more open laws pertaining to modified rigs. Is there any sort of minimum safety inspection in those states? Or is the law set so that OHV can still be driven on the pavement?

I built my cj7 in AZ for AZ. I moved to Utah about 8 months ago. I've only been out of the neighborhood twice. Once, a cop staired me down untill he saw my Az plate. Then didn't bother with me. AZ is great. AZ law states that Lifted trucks must have mud flaps. That's it. Says nothing about Jeeps. I used to see full tube buggies with plates on the streets. I need to do a lot to make mine legal here. I think AZ is trying to keep the "wild west" alive.

1993yj

I built my cj7 in AZ for AZ. I moved to Utah about 8 months ago. I've only been out of the neighborhood twice. Once, a cop staired me down untill he saw my Az plate. Then didn't bother with me. AZ is great. AZ law states that Lifted trucks must have mud flaps. That's it. Says nothing about Jeeps. I used to see full tube buggies with plates on the streets. I need to do a lot to make mine legal here. I think AZ is trying to keep the "wild west" alive.

Would it be at all possible to get UT like that? Maybe not full buggies, but at least something better? Do more people die on AZ highways because of their laws than ours?

jesse

Masshole
in massachusetts if your car or truck is over 25 years old you can register it as an antique and you can drive it on the roads as long as you are taking it to a shop, a test drive for a club activity or to a club activity. I'm going to be registering my 82 chevy as an antique this spring so that I can take it off roading without having to trailer it. This might be something to aim for here in utah

Corban_White

Idaho seems to be pretty lenient too. And I don't know about Nevada on their lift laws, but their tint laws seem to be non-existent.

Vehicle safety inspection is not required in Idaho. No inspection, no emission-you can drive whatever you want. (just about anyway)

RamIt

The windshield part is not true. I know plenty of vehicles licensed OHV that have glass windshields. I think that surrendering the VIN may be an issue, but my brother bought a rig that was registered OHV (still had a glass windshield), still had the original VIN in place, and re-registered it on-road. I don't remember the entire procedure, but it was something like get it road worthy, take it to the DMV, they come out and look at it and say yea or nay, and give you a new VIN if necessary. I don't remember if he had to get an inspection before or after the DMV, although he may have been there more than once. Since he was not the one who originally registered it OHV, I don't know how the VIN was still on there.

As for changing the laws as they are now, I would be in favor of trying to get our laws to be more like Colorado's. I doubt it will even happen though. Too many cops always give me the "I hate getting rock chips from guys with big tires" line. I personally have never had an issue with that, just from haul trucks with uncovered loads, but that opens up a whole new can of worms.

Hopefully I can shed some light on this topic, as I am the brother that 1993yj is talking about. My rig was registered as an OHV when I bought it. I wanted to be able to drive it on the streets to get to/from trailheads, and occasional around town use when I needed to, so I decided to get it changed back to a regular, street legal registration. When a vehicle is converted to OHV registration, the original VIN is basically retired and a new VIN # is applied. The new VIN is a "reconstructed VIN" which begins with "UTR". The original VIN however is not removed... it is still illegal to remove the original VIN tag. They simply give you one of those metallic stickers with the new VIN number that is put in the driver's side door jam. I have never heard of having to remove seats, windshield, etc. My rig had all the regular stuff on it. I just had to hook up the turn signals, horn, wipers/squirters, mudflaps, and a few other minor things in order to get it up to snuff for safety and emissions laws. After I had taken it in for safety and emissions inspection (just as any other vehicle in order to register it), I simply took it to the DMV with the inspection certificates. I went to the South Jordan DMV, and they sent me to the main Utah State Tax Commission building in SLC because the lady at South Jordan DMV said they are the only officers that can authorize the vehicle to be registered street legal again. This turned out not to be true as the officer at the SLC office ensured me that the South Jordan employee was just being too lazy to walk out herself. Anyway, they walked out to my rig, verified that the OHV registration sticker was indeed on my rig, and that the original VIN was still attached to the dash, looked at my inspection certificates, and issued me plates and the new title. By the way, the inspection shop used the original VIN # to do the safety and emissions, even though they should have used the new (OHV VIN). But that didn't make a difference, as long as it all passes it is deemed safe and legal for street use. So now my rig is once again registered for street use, insured as a regular vehicle, etc. The VIN on the new title is still the reconstructed VIN that was issued when it was originally changed to OHV. The original VIN is still attached on the dash, and although that VIN is no longer in use, it is still illegal to remove it... they told me that is because they don't want retired VIN numbers being removed and sold, etc. The whole registration process took about 3 hours, which includes driving from South Jordan DMV to State Tax Commission building, and waiting for my turn in line at each. There was no paperwork to fill out at all, the only papers were the safety and emissions certificates.
I realize that this info may not help Ghost Crawler much with this thread as far as writing a new law, but it may help clear up some of the rumors and confusion about having to remove glass, seats, etc. for OHVs, and for being "impossible" to go back to street registration from OHV. If anyone wants I can dig up the names of who I talked to for getting my rig back to street legal registration... It was the end of last summer when I did it. If we can get something passed that will allow us to drive OHV rigs on public roads to get to and from trailheads, which would save us the hassle of yearly safety and emissions and less taxes then I am for it, but until then I will just deal with keeping my rig legally streetable and taking the risk of a ticket with my 40" tires and no mudflaps when going to and from the trailheads.

Chevycrew

My crawler (in avatar) will be sitting in my garage as long as I live in utah. There is no way I can pass the inspection, nor do I want to register it as OHV, I actually like the idea of crossing a highway, or getting trail to trail. So much for my wheelin I guess....

In Idaho I cannot get OHV registration and i am required to have plates on most trails(public land), so I can not win for losing.

Last edited: