VW Baja Bug - Any experience?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Anyone on RME have experience building a air-cooled Baja Bug? Obviously a Class 11 car is the best choice, but I'd like something with a bit more power than a stock engine, bigger tires and some better suspension mods. Honestly, I'd like something to drag down to Baja and go explore the remote desert, then play with locally.

Not wanting a race car, but a nice improvement in suspension travel, capability, etc. Maybe a set of 31's out back, something smaller up front?

I'd like something for that's fun, simple, reliable and not too expensive. Is that possible? I know where I can get a '66 Beetle for cheap... that's probably the only affordable part. 😆

Mostly bench racing here, so don't get all excited. Would I be better off just buying a used SxS?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My dad used to be VW obsessed. I’m glad he grew out of it before I was old enough to get into them 🤣

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
My GJ based bus partner just built a VW motor and raced it in the NORRA 1000 with a bunch of our team. I know you don't want a race car but it may be for sale.

Another GJ pal is suuuuper into VW's and has built mant busses, bugs, etc. I'm sure both would be happy to chat.

View attachment 177054

Ohh, very interesting! I'd be curious to know more, but a legit race car is probably out of my budget.

I know Chris, thru the local Cruiser club actually. 😄

J-mobzz

I was looking at adapters for an Ecotec and a 200 HP 2.4! That would RIP in a light weight Baja!
I had a 2.2 ecotec and a 091 at one point for this exact reason yes a sxs will be faster, have better suspension but Baja’s are just so freaking cool.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Ohh, very interesting! I'd be curious to know more, but a legit race car is probably out of my budget.

I know Chris, thru the local Cruiser club actually. 😄

Right on. He's an awesome gent and a fantastic teacher. We're both members of a professional organization.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have vehicular ADHD, ok? It's a very serious and complicated disease. There is no cure, just constantly thinking about different ideas, builds and uses. It's a sickness!
Let me know when that adhd leaks to dumping the TJ. 😍