VW Baja Bug - Any experience?

rholbrook

My friend had a Baja Bug in high school. It went everywhere our 4x4s went. We still talk about it. We had a dune buggy growing up for a little bit. My brother bought a bug, had the pan shortened and bought a kit from Welch's Fun Cars in Salt Lake. The cheerleaders borrowed it for the homecoming parade one year. I don't normally run around with pictures of high school cheerleaders but these two sisters are dear family friends and our families still do things together. Our kids are together nearly weekly.IMG_3563.jpg

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch and yes, I know I have plenty of other projects AND vehicular ADHD. It sounds like I have a chance to make this mine for a pretty low price. While I'd prefer a full body Bug, this thing had some killer local history and it is technically a race car.

20241012_144522-X2.jpg

20241012_150339-X2.jpg

20241012_150321-X2.jpg

20241012_150328-X2.jpg

It's a VW rail, I think the chassis is home built... but this was raced in the Lands End Hill Climb! The Lands End Hill Climb is the 3rd oldest race in the USA, dating back to 1916! -

https://www.westernslopenow.com/sports/history-and-horsepower-at-the-lands-end-hill-climb/

The idea that this car has that kind of history makes it pretty desirable. It looks like it has a NASTY bored & stroked VW engine that may have been running on Alcohol. Sadly parts have been robbed off it, the intake & exhaust have been left open to the elements for years. :( It would be neat to rebuild the engine, get it running on 91 octane, go thru the wiring and set it up to be a desert car. It would be rad down in Baja! Those rear tires are 33's! Probably update the suspension/shocks and see if it needs more travel after some outings.

We will see what happens... like I said, it's not mine yet.

J-mobzz

How far out is it from being class 9? Bore has a few class 9 cars. It would be killer to be able to run a few local races. Or even just sportsman if it’s to far out of spec: looks like it has irs not swing axle?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
How far out is it from being class 9? Bore has a few class 9 cars. It would be killer to be able to run a few local races. Or even just sportsman if it’s to far out of spec: looks like it has irs not swing axle?

One of the biggest issues that I see is the tube work passing tech... there are a couple butt joints at the front and they drilled holes into the tube with self-tapping screws to mount the body panels.

It's quite possible to replace those tubes though, after that it could possibly be a Class 9 or Sportsman car. It would be awesome to do some BORE racing and possibly the NORRA race in Baja!

J-mobzz

And for the record that buggy is cool and I think you need to rescue it.
One of the biggest issues that I see is the tube work passing tech... there are a couple butt joints at the front and they drilled holes into the tube with self-tapping screws to mount the body panels.

It's quite possible to replace those tubes though, after that it could possibly be a Class 9 or Sportsman car. It would be awesome to do some BORE racing and possibly the NORRA race in Baja!
They have pretty soft tech. If you wanted to race I’d just email them some pictures and see what they say. Updated harnesses, window nets and some type of firewall for the fuel cell and I bet you would be fine.

Such a cool find!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

BOR tech isn't super stringent fwiw