Wanted: 24-28' trailer

Heading down tomorrow afternoon (I think) to Paiute in Salina. 7x26', 14000lbs, 7k dropleg, breakaway brakes, D-rings galore. I'll be working out some specifics and dropping off a deposit check.

The only problem is that I still have the Duratracs on my X and I don't want to wear them out. 7 cars in the fleet and none are suitable/available for the drive. 1st world problems, eh? :D

Didn't go today.

I recalled getting a quote from TJTrailers in Ogden. I rented a 24' deckover for jeep safari and loved it, other than it was really heavy. They were easy to work with too. I decided to look at the quote again before I put my check to Paiute in the mail. TJ had quoted on a 26' flatbed but since it was more than the Paiute, I didn't pursue it at the time even though it was apples to oranges. I just remembered today that it might have been for a heavier trailer and my Paiute price was for 12000 lbs.

Here is the quote:
Big Tex 26' flatbed 14,000# rated trailer for $4985.00. www.bigtextrailers.com/pdf/14et.pdf
5-6 weeks. Slide in or stand up ramps.

So they are $200 or so less than 26' 12000# Paiute ($4300) with the options I have added (7000# axles $800, 7k dropleg $75) I don't know if $200 is worth the change, but TJ's has been nice and they are closer. Never been all that impressed with BigTex, but never really looked at anything this heavy from them. Marc's Paiute was a great trailer, and that's been the primary reason besides price to go with them.

Last edited:
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but has anyone looked into this guy in Tooele who has a bunch of trailers posted on ksl like this one? Here is their website. Looks like pretty good quality - maybe not the lowest price? I'll be in the market for a low-deck gooseneck later this year and I'm always looking to keep business close to home if the cost makes sense.

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread, but has anyone looked into this guy in Tooele who has a bunch of trailers posted on ksl like this one? Here is their website. Looks like pretty good quality - maybe not the lowest price? I'll be in the market for a low-deck gooseneck later this year and I'm always looking to keep business close to home if the cost makes sense.

I think I replied to him on KSL and asked about a longer trailer. He asked why, I told him, and then nothing.

The total lack of response from some of these trailer people tells me that I'm in the wrong business. Must be nice.

Ok, NOW Wasatch calls me back. (Thanks Jeff!)
(well, earlier today, not 11:45pm now)

They are working on a price. The CC is a sweet trailer, with everything that I've asked for on the Paiute. I've also really liked my 7K# 16' PJ.

blznnp

So did you cancel your deposit then? Or tell Wasatch that you sent a deposit to see if they will sweeten the price

rholbrook

You first posted this on April 4. You are haggling over a few hundred dollars which you have spent in time easily and will spend twice more in gas and time going to Salina. Your tripping over a dime to save a penny. You also could have had it nearly by now.

You first posted this on April 4. You are haggling over a few hundred dollars which you have spent in time easily and will spend twice more in gas and time going to Salina. Your tripping over a dime to save a penny. You also could have had it nearly by now.

I can appreciate that perception, based on what has been posted.

This has been in play a LOT longer than since April. Many more factors than what have been posted. Main factor is decision to spend this much on a trailer at this time. I've mainly put the price and responsiveness info up as data points for others.

I'm not sure if your statement about driving to Salina is for or against the Paiute. For me, the drive has little to do with it, other than I enjoy road trips.

Tripping over a dime to make sure my $3000-6000 is well spent.

Being happy with my decision, which represents a non-trivial amount of money (to me) is key, since I keep stuff for a while.

Regarding the trailers, the PJ 26' "CC" would be my first choice if I didn't have direct experience with Marc's Paiute. Wasatch was totally non-responsive to phone calls or inquiries from their site. All the new trailers are in the $5000-6000 range, more than my perceived value and more than what I wanted to spend. All the used trailers I've seen have left me uneasy or just scared, or are too far off from what I need.

Had I found a 26' CC in decent shape for $3000 or so on April 5, I would have bought it. Or the cash for whatever Marc sold his for when he sold it. Timing.

Last edited:

rondo

rondo

where are the prices on his trailers in tooele? it's a turn off to search without prices. i'm following this thread closely. dont want a trailer to haul 5 of my best friend's buggies around but i am interested in who has good quality and service. kind of wanting a new car hauler with a steel or alum deck instead of wood and a bit longer.

Update, just because this has gotten comical. Apparently it took 11 days for my check to get to Salina. Big Bubba's folks can't email the estimate. ( price was comparable, which is impressive considering he did it in his head while on the phone) and still waiting on a price from Wasatch.