Archived Was EJS less crowded?

Coco

The actual Easter Jeep Safari event is and always has only been open to licensed and insured vehicles, thus their registration likely wouldn't be harmed by increased enforcement. Would the towns influx suffer? Hard to say, I'd guess non-street licensed buggies make up 20% of the rigs in town, and lets assume 75% of those are comfortable trailering them to and from the trails. So would the town really notice a 5% loss in food/fuel/lodging sales? I would say no to lodging as its likely others would fill the spots. Food, fuel? Mabey, but it would be hard to differentiate from year to year.

The EJS event does "grease the wheels" of Moab, but 75% of that is due to RR4W and their donations and permit fees paid to the BLM, S&R, Police, library, etc. I'm in no way saying the non-official participants are not contributing to the local economy, just not to the degree the actual event is.

Who told the UHP to be more lenient? I would love to hear more about this.

I believe it was the chamber of commerce. I am not for sure though. But yes you did bring up some excellent points.;)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
....without complaining about it.

this is where you and I are in complete agreement.

I have wheeled with you and you know what i drive, my stuff is licensed and insured, but i know I don't have mudflaps, etc. therefore if I get a ticket, i will pay it. Full responsibility for my actions. no question,

that being said, the comment about announcements was still an A$$hat, no $hit comment, that probably could have/should have been skipped :D

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
This is my own problem, but I have 2 registered and insured Toyotas that I do not drive a lot on the street but need to in order to keep them reliable for trail running.
When I intend on running them hard I run a larger tires and remove my mud flaps so I don't rip them off or hurt some one. I know others that remove the flares also.
I would rather trailer them if required and if reasonable parking was available, but this is Moab.
They were giving people tickets for small improvements and then people had enough and left. This is Moab. I went to run trails not to be harassed by the man. I guess I am a old fart.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
This is my own problem, but I have 2 registered and insured Toyotas that I do not drive a lot on the street but need to in order to keep them reliable for trail running.
When I intend on running them hard I run a larger tires and remove my mud flaps so I don't rip them off or hurt some one. I know others that remove the flares also.
I would rather trailer them if required and if reasonable parking was available, but this is Moab.
They were giving people tickets for small improvements and then people had enough and left. This is Moab. I went to run trails not to be harassed by the man. I guess I am a old fart.

that makes me old fart #2

:D

Bart

I've been getting pulled over in Moab over EJS for 10 years. They pulled me over in my old XJ way back when. 2 years ago they pulled me over in my LTJ for no flares. I didn't get a ticket, but they did warn me. I think they are pulling over most people to check for alcohol.

This year I parked my trailer across from the road to Potato Salad and drove my buggy there, in front of "the man". He didn't seem too bothered, but I had working lights and brake lights.

What bothers me about your original post is insinuating that the laws should be bent for EJS. I'm by no means saying that officers are always correct, I just feel that we should try and be as respectful as possible straight across the board. Whether it's when you're out on the trails or being willing to accept a ticket for something that you were doing wrong. I run 37's on my truck without mud flaps and I'm well aware of the fact that any day I could get ticketed in Utah for that. I guess I just have a hard time with the attitude that since wheelers bring so much money into Moab, everything should cater to them. But, maybe I'm the crazy one. We've been going for 7 years, multiple times a year, and I have yet to not be able to do something because of lack of trailer parking. Even the bowling alley has good trailer parking! :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
that being said, the comment about announcements was still an A$$hat, no $hit comment, that probably could have/should have been skipped :D

I agree, the answer was plainly obvious, thus why you and I thought it was a 'no ****' answer. Regardless, the question was asked ;)

Skip an opportunity? Hellyousay!

They were giving people tickets for small improvements and then people had enough and left.

So, what small improvements were getting ticketed?

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
What bothers me about your original post is insinuating that the laws should be bent for EJS. I'm by no means saying that officers are always correct, I just feel that we should try and be as respectful as possible straight across the board. Whether it's when you're out on the trails or being willing to accept a ticket for something that you were doing wrong. I run 37's on my truck without mud flaps and I'm well aware of the fact that any day I could get ticketed in Utah for that. I guess I just have a hard time with the attitude that since wheelers bring so much money into Moab, everything should cater to them. But, maybe I'm the crazy one. We've been going for 7 years, multiple times a year, and I have yet to not be able to do something because of lack of trailer parking. Even the bowling alley has good trailer parking! :D

2X!

its not that they change the law's for EJS its that they enforce ALL them.

if you looked what is legal and whats not for vehicles, 99% of us are 100% illegal. technically my old f150 on 33's is illegal. cops dont enforce these laws cus they would have so many people pulled over at one time there would be no cops to bust the drug dealers or the dumb ass's that dont know how to drive....(85% of drivers)

and getting busted by the cops is part of EJS. its how they make there revenue. and if someone is so scared or a baby about getting pulled over then why are you driving a vehicle that you made illegal or just tow it to the trails.

i half to make my bronco street legal and instead of just driving it getting tickets and what not...why not call a sheriff to come to your home and inspect it to find out if its legal or not? what im doing, that way it saves you time and money.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I think at least half the people pulled over during EJS is to check for alcohol. I got pulled over in my tow rig this year heading down from camp.

Cop comes up says hey man......you coming down from Potato salad??? Trying to get a rise out of me or whatever. Just a warning for mudflaps.

Although I wish the rules didnt apply during EJS they most certainly do. I trailered the Scout everywhere this year for the first time. It sucked but it wasnt that bad and I was pulling a 28' trailer. I do however miss driving the Scout around town. Might be time to fab some ghetto tractor fenders

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
if you looked what is legal and whats not for vehicles, 99% of us are 100% illegal. technically my old f150 on 33's is illegal.

How do you figure??? This topic comes up enough here that it's easy to find out what's legal and what isn't, and move forward accordingly. Mudflaps? yes, you need them. Frame height? It's spelled out. Other than those two things, I can't think of anything else that doesn't also apply to every other vehicle on the road... oh, extra lights I guess. Bumper laws.

I'm nowhere near 100% illegal on even the sketchy Blazer LOL which is currently in need of flaps....

Chevycrew

I was one of those guys with a illegal rig that drove all over the place on the streets, and highways.

Im fullwidth, no flares, no flaps, and a few other violations. But if I got a ticket, it would have been my fault and I would have paid it!

I had UHP follow me back into town about 15 miles on the highway, I was running about 55 in a 65. When they finally passed me coming into town, they just smiled and waved.

Im registered, insured, didnt have any moving violations, and had my seatbelt on.

So I guess the "little things" werent important enough to pull me over.

But my tow rig isnt much more legal...

rholbrook

I thought the crowd was smaller as well until Big Saturday then it seemed to be more crowded. I know that hotel rooms and camp sites seemed to be more available as well. I think people came in for Saturday only.

As far as police harassment goes, I think that RR4W should do a better job of communicating with both the law enforcement agencies and the jeepers of saying what is acceptable and what is not. I also feel that for this one week of the year that brings in hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions for the city, county, state and federal governments that they can let these rigs slide on enforcement. Look what stiff laws have done to Yellowstone in the winter. I am all about obeying the law but the law is so different from county to county in Utah and from state to state.

I thought it seemed less crowded this year. We had a great time, didn't get hassled at all, including those 50mph drives down 191, getting passed by UHP.

Note: I saw hardly any cops at the beginning of the week, but by Thurs, they were EVERYWHERE.

Brett

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...As far as police harassment goes, I think that RR4W should do a better job of communicating with both the law enforcement agencies and the jeepers of saying what is acceptable and what is not...

RR4W does a great job stating their opinion for their event (which is the actual Easter Jeep Safari, not to be confused with the Easter weekend in general). Read their registration paperwork (newspaper). Page 59 states very clearly. For example "The Utah Highway Patrol enforces the Utah street legality situation pretty strictly and Jeep Safari time is no exception". They go on to refer you to the Utah safety inspection book and ask that you be compliant with them.

...I also feel that for this one week of the year that brings in hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions for the city, county, state and federal governments that they can let these rigs slide on enforcement...

Sorry, I just don't see it. Those having issues with the law are the absolute minority, they represent a small fraction of the total tourism dollar in the area. In fact, enforcing the laws has the potential to increase income, more tow rigs paying for gas and tickets bring revenue.

... I am all about obeying the law but the law is so different from county to county in Utah and from state to state

Do tell, what laws vary from county to county as they pertain to vehicle enforcement? State to state I can see, but again RR4W does their job informing participants they are expected to adhere to Utah laws.

Disclaimer: I wish the vehicle laws were more lenient on some levels, but that doesn't exclude us from obeying them. Groups have successfully changed them in the past, if we continue our apathetic approach that won't happen in this case.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
THe law is the law, period. Whether certain counties enforce it as vigorously as others is irrelevant, we should be holding ourselves TO THE STANDARD. Expect more vigorous prosecution in certain areas, say... Price and Wellington-- anyone speed there, really? Not after that first time LOL

I have been given a 10-over ticket while doing 109mph, and I have been ticketed for no mudflaps in a fullsize truck on 32's-- they are larger than stock and require flaps. So I can understand the... desire for maybe more uniformity. But that doesn't change anything.

I really wonder just how much EJS brings in to Moab.... that would be interesting to know.

RR4W does a better job than they have to, and I just don't see why anyone heading to Moab can't be expected to at least follow the law, if not go above and beyond a little in trying to show the law that we're not a bunch of retarded rednecks in big, illegal trucks, whining about mudflaps and trailers. *shrug*

jsudar

Expect more vigorous prosecution in certain areas, say... Price and Wellington-- anyone speed there, really? Not after that first time LOL

Wellington is an amazing place. I usually leave EJS late Saturday night and without fail there is that same cop, sitting in the same place year after year. The first time he pulled me over, I was going five under the limit. He proceeded to give me three different tickets which were all crap. I didn't pay for a single one of them, since they were all bogus, but it makes me wonder why he bothered... sheer boredom maybe?

On another note, I think it's gotten to the point that if you're not signed up for one of the "official" trail runs and still wish to run the more mainstream trails, you may as well choose another weekend. I don't think I'll be going to EJS any longer on Easter weekend. At least until I become conformist enough to sign up for an official run.

Meat_

Banned
Most everywhere I went there were very few people, including Behind the Rocks in the bad ass'd snow storm on big Saturday.... but then I seem to have that luck.

....It was a zoo on Pritchett on Friday.
And almost devoid of life on Sunday... I was baffled :confused:

It was the local police.
I have never attended the EJS I always go in May. Do they always harass the aftermarket rigs on EJS. They should announce that they will be ticketing you for big tires and no mud flaps.
I actually had a good time but man I never expected that kind of harassment.

The only problems I had with Johny law were when I sped everywhere in town with the tow rig, ran stop signs like I was at home, drove around with part time trailer lights, drove around while txting/interneting and had a straight piped Cummins on the main drag.... yup the bastards didn't bother me at all. Then when I came hauling ass past a UHP trooper in Dan's buggy on the highway between PSH and the end of Hell's....... the bastard had the nerve to wave back at me when I waved at him.