Wearing a spare as a tophat?

Bart

From your response, it seems like you have made up your mind and are fishing for some opinions that will back that up. Just do what you want. You sound like you know what you're doing, just be aware that it's up there.

Caleb

From your response, it seems like you have made up your mind and are fishing for some opinions that will back that up. Just do what you want. You sound like you know what you're doing, just be aware that it's up there.
This is what I get out of this thread. :)

I don't get how you loose that much visibility with it on the rear. Yes, you can't look directly behind you, but on the road that's a non-issue since you can easily use your rear view mirrors, just like a pickup with a shell on, or any other vehicle with a trailer behind them. On the trail, most of the time when you're backing up, you're backing up from where you just came from...and again, you have those fancy things called mirrors.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
For long distance road driving I would definately use a spare and probably put it outside somewhere. I would put it on a bumper mount personally, but if that isn't an option then the roof it is.

but man, having that big bastard up there collecting wind on the freeway will probably drop your milage by at least 10%. Maybe more.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I had my spare on my roof for all of 4 days, Looked like butt, hated putting it up there and didn't want to have to get it down, I could feel it up there when turning on the road and didn't think off camber situations would like it, and it KILLED my gas mileage. built a carrier for the rear and still have some visibility and as has been said.. Mirrors are a technological wonder in seeing behind you.

Speed-J

I was just trying to point out that COG is the only thing im really worried about with my response.

I will say that you are right, and that I was leaning toward a roof mount, but you guys have me thinking about going the other way with this.

I know I must seem annoying with this, i just wish to get as many opinions as i can before I go and build either style of carrier. You guys are being very helpful in that aspect, and I really appreciate it. :)

I guess my big concern about visibility would also be void if I chose to run mirrors for once in my life. :rofl:

Speed-J

but man, having that big bastard up there collecting wind on the freeway will probably drop your milage by at least 10%. Maybe more.

And really? that much?

wow. that would also suck. especially because i drive a big ol brick anyway. :rofl:

Silly Willy

And really? that much?

wow. that would also suck. especially because i drive a big ol brick anyway. :rofl:
and it would be a big ol brick with a big sale on it... Honestly by mounting it on the rear and Adding Mirrors you should be just fine. Not a big deal with COG, not going to hurt you millage any more than mounting it anywhere else. if rear visibility is such a huge thing you could make a mount that would put the tire on a slope

|_\ <- for road driving almost lay down, and can adjust for on the trail so it won't get in the way and be a big anchor on steep hills.

Seven

I have had my spare on my roof rack for 5 years. I actually have not taken it down for about 3 years. I did not notice that much gas mileage difference. I still get close to 20 on the freeway(using gps for acuracy). Truth be told I would love a rear mount but I do not have the money or tools to acquire one at this time. The rear mount is the better option, however I have not really noticed the cons that having my on top is supposed to have. My opinion is that it does not cut down on mileage much if at all(your still driving a brick) and that it is only about 1-2 feet difference lifting it to a rear mount and a roof mount. Also Maybe I am not hardcore enough to have noticed a COG difference either.

1995zj

I'm addicted
^ From your avatar though, you're running a ~31" tire. Probably only 10.5" wide. The OP is talking about a 38" tire that's probably at least 13.5" wide. That's A LOT more weight and a bit more drag.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Bring a spare tire with you, but ditch the spare wheel. You're not likely to need a spare wheel, and you can dismount/mount the tire on the trail in the unlikely event you need your spare tire. That will save weight up high. What does an H1 wheel weigh? It must be significant.

I'd still like to know what the narrowest 38" tire available is. A ~10.5" or less tire with no wheel wouldn't weigh much, and wouldn't be as much of a sail.

Seven

BIG difference between a 31" spare on an XJ and a 38" spare on top of a TJ.

Only 2 inches height, 7 inches width, and quite a bit of weight. (/office tone/ Thats what she said /office tone/)

I was skimming and didn't notice he was wanting to put a 38 on a tj top. I would be looking at more of a rear mount or finding a good chiropractor if I was him then. Or even like others have said "leave it at the trailer".

Speed-J

Just bringing a tire and ditching the rim might not be a bad idea. i may also search for a real narrow 38 on a plain steel rim just to be safe.

also, If i could find a narrow 38, i could mount it to the back deck with my rack over it.

with the 14.5" wides I have now, this isnt really feasible.

Edit: kinda like this:
2008+10+30+SLP+TMA955.JPG

Last edited:

Lifelong Jeeper

Another thought not being considered is depending on what kind of lockers are you using, another option is available.
  • If you're open diff or have selectable lockers that can be switched to open, then take 35" or maybe even a 33" spare, mount it on the back and call it good. then if you actually need to use it, which isn't likely, throw it on there long enought to run to a tire shop. It will get you there just like a donut tire on a car does.

• If you have a Detroit style or full spool, then the obvious tire speed differentiation would cause a problem and this wouldn't work (Unless your spare was fully aired up, and the 38 was aired down to an approximate 35" diameter).

Spare tire? Check
Lower COG? Check
Rear visibility? Check
Less weight? Check
Ugly as all get out? Half check. (I don't like the look of a mismatched spare size, but the practicality wins out.)

Speed-J

Ive also done this before. Ive got ARBs front and rear, so it would work, but a full size spare would be nice for the type of trips i do. I will keep this idea in mind however. thanks!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Wait wait wait... Do you have 38.5 x 14.5 SX tires? Those tires are tough as hell. The only way you're going to need a spare is if you run over a motorcycle. :ugh:

Bring a tube if you want to be extra careful, but a plug kit and onboard air should be sufficient.

Speed-J

Wait wait wait... Do you have 38.5 x 14.5 SX tires?

yes. yes i do :rofl:

and although they are tough, ive already got a slash in one sidewall thats been patched. I guess this is about me just covering my bases. also, i dont know if i'll be doing a cross country trip on these tires. i may pick up a cheap set of hummer take offs because I hear they wear like steel on the road.

for the SXs tho, a tube might do the trick in a pinch.

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
In Moab I always kept my spare on the trailer and carried a plug kit with me.

On the long distance stuff I do, I always carry a spare in the rear cargo area (35"). I would NEVER put it on the roof for the following reasons (especially for hard trails--I can at least see an argument for an overland type expedition rig)

1: increase in COG
2: looks stupid
3: increase in COG
4: hard to get up/down
5: looks dumb
6: increase in COG
7: mileage (but for a trailer queen it probably doesn't matter)
7: increase in COG
8: in full bodied/cageless rigs it becomes dangerous in a roll over.

and it also looks retarded. I would probably put a chrome stinger on my rig before I would put a tire on the roof.

some rear mounted carriers interfere with departure angle and do restrict visability (although, not quite as bad as being upside down. I always had a hard time seeing what was behind me while hanging from my harnesses). If you're running 38's then I would probaly carry a good plug kit and air for day trips. If you're using your rig to get 100 miles away from civilization, then definately look into a way to carry a spare.

Tell us how you feel cody! :rofl: