Wearing a spare as a tophat?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
H1 wheels are 16.5" right?

If you insist on carrying a spare with you, buy one of these:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Su...3&t_s=158&t_pt=100821&t_pl=3865&t_pn=SSTB-111
and carry it without the wheel. It's only 11" wide, so it's not quite as much of a sail, and it's only around 70 pounds, so it won't have a huge affect on CG, and you're less likely to kill yourself handling it.

It'll still look gay, nothing you can do about that.

Well, maybe if you strapped it to your hood...

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
And really? that much?

wow. that would also suck. especially because i drive a big ol brick anyway. :rofl:

The Thule snowboard rack I had on my old S15 made a 2mpg difference in mileage. It also had the fairing to help deflect wind over the snowboard holders.

Took it off every summer, back on in the winter. I suppose the colder air or something could have also had an effect, but I haven't noticed any differences between summer and winter mileage in other vehicles.

Also, driving a TJ on 38.5" SX's on the freeway for any long distances sounds like about as much fun as a Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson romantic comedy.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I can stack H1's with the mil. 37's and the stock rubber runflats 5 high, but it KILLS ME to get that 5th one up. They're freaking HEAVY. No way in hell I'd put one on the roof, or the hood.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
Took it off every summer, back on in the winter. I suppose the colder air or something could have also had an effect, but I haven't noticed any differences between summer and winter mileage in other vehicles.

With my duramax the winter made me lose 2-3 mpg. I had a Geo prism that in the summer would get 40 and winter about 35. :)

Speed-J

Also, driving a TJ on 38.5" SX's on the freeway for any long distances sounds like about as much fun as a Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson romantic comedy.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ow.

Hot coffee up nose, and on computer screen. thanks Cody :rofl:

Also, you guys have me pretty sold on not putting it up top, so im going to be looking into other mounting solutions. Thanks for all the feedback so far.

If only I drove something with a little more storage. damn TJs haha.

Speed-J

H1 wheels are 16.5" right?

If you insist on carrying a spare with you, buy one of these:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Su...3&t_s=158&t_pt=100821&t_pl=3865&t_pn=SSTB-111
and carry it without the wheel. It's only 11" wide, so it's not quite as much of a sail, and it's only around 70 pounds, so it won't have a huge affect on CG, and you're less likely to kill yourself handling it.

It'll still look gay, nothing you can do about that.

Well, maybe if you strapped it to your hood...

thanks for the link. and i pulled the tape measure out and went to the hood for a good laugh... no go on an 11 wide sittin there. my windshield is only like 16" or so haha.

rondo

rondo
On my YJ i keep the spare on the trailer. (carry plugs also, etc). i've been considering adding a tire carrier to the back of the roll cage but just haven't had the time. Besides i'd rather wheel with Shon (wydeJ) all the time, who carriers a 37 and 8lug spare that fits my jeep heh heh
So i suggest you leave the spare at camp and wheel with pals who own pickups or pack a tire your size :)

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
FWIW, I have not carried a spare in 10 years and have never left my rig anywhere. I have had plenty of flats (inside beads on beadlocks) But have always figured it out (OBA, starting fluid :D powertank etc), I think there are ways around carrying a spare on trail runs.
I think that Braden has a great idea of carrying just the tire, it really is not that hard to change if you need it. You can rachet strap it pretty damn flat on the roof if you wanted it up there. With a TJ, I think it would KILL your COG on any "real" trail to have a complete 38 inch tire/wheel up there, I can think of a million times that I was off camber enough that someone could have easily pushed me over, if I had a tire on my top I would have been done, that kinda weight is a big deal up there above your head 2 feet when your off camber.

Try this, Make a cardboard ring of your 38, then set it on the roof of your rig to get an idea of how big it will be up there...oh ya, and post a pic of it :D