Weird/Creepy things you've found on the trail

DAA

Supporting Member
Appears to be a modern medicine wheel

My thought too.

Here's an ancient little medicine wheel we found out on Keg mountain many years ago.

IMG_2145.jpg

Found it again, and took that picture, about seven or eight years ago. But tried looking for it again with the whole family this summer and couldn't find it this time.

- DAA

DAA

Supporting Member
And I just remembered something that actually was really creepy that we found once. Long, long time ago. Like, 30 years ago. Out by 12 Mile Pass, up behind the Allen ranch. We found dozens of dog skeletons. Not coyotes either - all domestic dogs. Dozens and dozens of them. Big ones, little ones and all in between ones. That was kinda creepy.

- DAA

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Then there's this sign:

Which is a little strange because it's from the cold war era and it's in Russian.

This is probably from the 90's, post Cold War. After the Cold War effectively ended with the fall of the Berlin Wall and subsequent revolutions in the Eastern Bloc during 1989, and finally with the collapse of the Soviet Union in December 1991, NATO and Russia set up several monitoring programs (such as Open Skies) so that each could verify that various weapons programs were being dismantled or scaled back in accordance with treaties.

The sign says:

Conditions for Staying on Base
Following items are prohibited on base:

Matches, lighters, and other flame producing items, firing weapons, ammunition, items for gambling, games, cameras, drugs, and alcoholic beverages.

Last edited:

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I've had some creepy moments in mines including one in AFC (again with RME'ers). A couple of us had gone back in a mine when we reached a portion that had sluoughed off... There was enough room to comfortably crawl over the top into the rest of the mine... and knee deep ice cold water. Anyways we had my Cruiser parked at the portal with the headlights shining down the shaft just for added comfort. As we got a few hundred feet past the partially caved section we heard yelling and screaming... "cave in... get out... run for your lives". As Olly and I ran with soaking wet shoes, slippery mud and freezing temps back to the portal we realized that the slough was continuing to erode and fill in the crawl space.... we now had to drag through on our bellies with a cement like mud and rock moving around us. We high-fived at that portal and I've never been underground since ;)

I was there for that one. The best (worst?) part was when Olly was scrambling to get out, he lost a sandal. He dove back in to retrieve it, despite the space getting dangerously closed off. Pretty scary.

Troop92

Then there's this sign:

Which is a little strange because it's from the cold war era and it's in Russian.

Where did you find that?

And Stephen, do you speak Russian and did you translate that? If so, nicely done! I'd probably have said "firearms," but that's just me. Kлассно!

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
And Stephen, do you speak Russian and did you translate that? If so, nicely done! I'd probably have said "firearms," but that's just me. Kлассно!

Cпасибо! I took Russian for three years in college. I can read it far better than I can speak it, and even that, sadly, is getting rather rusty. I also specialized in US-Soviet foreign relations (translation: the Cold War) for my History degree.

We might just have stumbled across something Stephen is good at :D
:cody:

Troop92

Cпасибо! I took Russian for three years in college. I can read it far better than I can speak it, and even that, sadly, is getting rather rusty. I also specialized in US-Soviet foreign relations (translation: the Cold War) for my History degree.

Awesome. My degree was in Russian with a Business minor. Думаю, что должны говорить только по-русски на RME. Xочешь? :D

Last edited:

Hardcastle

Cool thread and stories. I have a few I can add. They’re not necessarily things I found but more like weird/creepy situations.

Sitting with friends around a fire late at night and we noticed someone standing off in the distance. Being a bunch of adult (allegedly adult) males we pretended we weren’t scared and called him over. He eventually wandered over and stood near our fire circle. We asked questions wondering if he was hurt, lost, hungry, whatever but he never said one word. He even eventually took a seat but never looked at any of us. Just stared at the fire. As things got more annoying and creepy he just stood up and walked away. We chose to move onto a new campsite far away for the night.

Hot summer day near the south west corner of Utah we took a break under one of the only trees in sight offering a little shade. We were drinking some water and chatting when said shade tree became under fire. Not by some huge powerful rapid fire rifle or anything but someone off in the distance was obviously shooting it. Probably a .22 rifle. The shots were not intended to hit us but we still promptly left.

Again in the Utah desert we came across a bunch of weird symbols on the ground both drawn in the sand and marked with small rocks. There were stars, arrows, swirly deals, etc. Along with a bunch of un-lit candles. There was no one in sight but i still got the heebee jeebees and did not stick around. I’m probably pretty naïve with this stuff but it seemed like some kind of séance.

Once again in the desert. It was daytime when we drove past some old abandoned farm house. We all had a destination in mind and decided we’d check out the old house on the way back. Well as usual by the time we headed back it was way late and dark. As we drove down the road we saw the house was majorly lit up from the inside. The light was very bright white. As we got closer we saw one old crappy car parked there and a person hauling junk into the house. The road came right up to the house and once we were real close a lady walked out on the porch with her hand pointed down the road. She just wanted us to keep moving on and that’s exactly what we did.

I have a few other stories but i feel like i've rambled enough and those are the highlights.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Cool thread and stories. I have a few I can add. They’re not necessarily things I found but more like weird/creepy situations.

Sitting with friends around a fire late at night and we noticed someone standing off in the distance. Being a bunch of adult (allegedly adult) males we pretended we weren’t scared and called him over. He eventually wandered over and stood near our fire circle. We asked questions wondering if he was hurt, lost, hungry, whatever but he never said one word. He even eventually took a seat but never looked at any of us. Just stared at the fire. As things got more annoying and creepy he just stood up and walked away. We chose to move onto a new campsite far away for the night.

Hot summer day near the south west corner of Utah we took a break under one of the only trees in sight offering a little shade. We were drinking some water and chatting when said shade tree became under fire. Not by some huge powerful rapid fire rifle or anything but someone off in the distance was obviously shooting it. Probably a .22 rifle. The shots were not intended to hit us but we still promptly left.

Again in the Utah desert we came across a bunch of weird symbols on the ground both drawn in the sand and marked with small rocks. There were stars, arrows, swirly deals, etc. Along with a bunch of un-lit candles. There was no one in sight but i still got the heebee jeebees and did not stick around. I’m probably pretty naïve with this stuff but it seemed like some kind of séance.

Once again in the desert. It was daytime when we drove past some old abandoned farm house. We all had a destination in mind and decided we’d check out the old house on the way back. Well as usual by the time we headed back it was way late and dark. As we drove down the road we saw the house was majorly lit up from the inside. The light was very bright white. As we got closer we saw one old crappy car parked there and a person hauling junk into the house. The road came right up to the house and once we were real close a lady walked out on the porch with her hand pointed down the road. She just wanted us to keep moving on and that’s exactly what we did.

I have a few other stories but i feel like i've rambled enough and those are the highlights.

carry on!!! I like these stories

rholbrook

Love them...keep them coming.

I lived in a really really haunted house with 4 buddies and the shiz that went on there, I just dont like talking about. Lets just say that there were three other things living there. Two did the exact same thing over and over. No interactions, nothing. The third however, did not want us there. It particularly did not like my friend and would bite, scratch and throw stuff at him all the time. Freakiest thing I have ever seen or not seen because the this mean one we never saw like the other two. After one crazy night, we had had enough and the next day we moved out. Being young at the time, we thought it was pretty cool at first but after a while, nearly 2 months, we had to get out.

DAA

Supporting Member
Again in the Utah desert we came across a bunch of weird symbols on the ground both drawn in the sand and marked with small rocks. There were stars, arrows, swirly deals, etc.

A long time ago, at least 20 years ago, me and a buddy pulled off the road near Goblin Valley to get a few hours sleep. Got off the road just a little bit and there was a bunch of hippies camped there, all obviously stoned out of their minds. We left. But came back about a year later and camped there - those hippies had made all kinds of shapes like you describe all over the place. Funny part though, is only a few years ago we camped there and there were a bunch of new hippie symbols. Seems like they have been using that same camp at least as long as we have, which is a pretty long time.

That reminds me of something else that happened in the same area. We were coyote hunting kind of along the reef north of the road there. So, coyote hunting, we'd drive a couple miles, stop, get out go try and call a coyote, come back to the truck, repeat. Well, somebody on foot was bird dogging us. We'd see his boot tracks in the road on top of my tire tracks every time we got back to the truck after making a stand. He must have been in some kind of amazing shape to keep up with us like that. Finally decided it must be some enviro-loon spying on us or something, so I intentionally ran over a misplaced carsonite WSA marker just to make him cry.

- DAA

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
That reminds me of something else that happened in the same area. We were coyote hunting kind of along the reef north of the road there. So, coyote hunting, we'd drive a couple miles, stop, get out go try and call a coyote, come back to the truck, repeat. Well, somebody on foot was bird dogging us. We'd see his boot tracks in the road on top of my tire tracks every time we got back to the truck after making a stand. He must have been in some kind of amazing shape to keep up with us like that. Finally decided it must be some enviro-loon spying on us or something, so I intentionally ran over a misplaced carsonite WSA marker just to make him cry.

- DAA

Sounds like it was a skinwalker ;)