What are they teaching them in school

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
A good friend at work had an interresting story at lunch today. Yesterday his daughter told him about a funny thing that happened in her high school history class. The teacher had been teaching about the Bill of Rights and divided the class up into small groups to make a skit about one of the concepts in the Bill of Rights. One not so bright group gave a skit about their right to wear tank tops and sleeveless shirts. They said it was the right to bare arms. The teacher didn't have the heart to tell them how far off base they were.:rolleyes:

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
Wow....I hope that the next kid I pop out is another boy. LOL....Somehow society and parents think that being intentionally stupid is ok...sad sad

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Wow....I hope that the next kid I pop out is another boy. LOL....Somehow society and parents think that being intentionally stupid is ok...sad sad

I think it goes a little deeper than that; I think it's to save confrontation. Whatever it is, it's stupid. The teacher is there to teach them; not give them in accurate info.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
When it comes to history....They have been teaching inaccurate info for YEARS!!

Yeah, I know! I mean what the hell is it when they change the text books and edit things out!? You can't change history, you politically correct dumbasses! :mad2: Liberal hippies piss me off...

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Yeah, I know! I mean what the hell is it when they change the text books and edit things out!? You can't change history, you politically correct dumbasses! :mad2: Liberal hippies piss me off...

9 times out of 10 it is the people that call themselves conservatives that want to censor text books.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
9 times out of 10 it is the people that call themselves conservatives that want to censor text books.

hmmm So this is the fault of conservatives?? Not hippies?

Either way, they need a reality check. Just because you change how a book reads, it doesn't make it not happen. It's not a time machine and you can't go back and change it.

There is a kids program on PBS now called SuperWhy and this is what they do! They run into problems, so they get together and rewrite the story so the problem doesnt' happen. I guess it's been on for about a week or two now?

Catherine

Mrs. Gardner
I totally agree teachers suck...I mean they are only teaching to the standardized tests these days and following strict pacing guides that the school district has set up for them. Not to mention that most students cannot read at their grade level...so when it does come to the history, science and math textbooks the students cannot read them to really understand. I'm wondering why they are not teaching the youth what standards are and what morality means...and how to keep their dysfunctional families together. Why are their so many obese children these days? Are the physical education department not teaching them how to exercise? Or are they are too worried about teaching them about sexually transmitted diseases because most of their students have them? I know, I know maybe our youth would learn more if the teachers actually taught their parents how to be parents...so that the children don't have to cook dinner for their siblings or take care of the responsibilities when they should be doing their homework. Maybe teachers should start giving out detentions more for things like not doing your homework (even though you were up all night taking care of your daughter)

Teachers these days...

ryslc

car audio guy
you get what you pay for. why would an intelligent person want to go teach in a public school when he/she could make a lot more in a private or collegiate program. we need to invest more.

funny never gave it much thought until i had little ones.
not only are the teachers sad, but the drugs that are surfacing even scarier. eighth graders with cocaine problems in the paper not too long ago.
obviously not teachers fault. the involvement both financially and morally by the parents.
spending more time with your kid and more money on your child's education might help.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
It's not their job to teach morality, and etc.

Tossing more money at the problem will NOT fix it.:rolleyes: As it is the associations get all of the money. So tossing more money at it, will only give them higher pay checks - not the teachers. If you want to fix it, get rid of the teachers assocation!

Catherine

Mrs. Gardner
Its not the teachers job to teach morality...except when one of their students come to them and explain how they are sexually active at 13...no parents at home during the day...someone (teacher) needs to explain something to that child.

Have you ever been in a classroom? Have you ever talked to a teacher?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
As Wayne said, it's not the teachers job to morality. That's a parents job and if the parents can't do it or don't care to, then they're SOL. Blaming someone who's job is to teach about calculus or art history for a kid being sexually active....umm, wtf? That's the parents job, they should be the ones explaining what's right and wrong. The problem that I see these days is that parents just don't give a **** about anything anymore. Lets blame the school for not passing my kid because he was always playing Xbox instead of doing the assigned homework. :ugh: Makes sense to me right there. It's always someone else's fault instead of maybe, just maybe, the family. Weird.

I'd guess that 99% of the people on this board went through public schools and it seems that we call came out just fine with our education. American's have gotten lazy and would rather, these days, just point their finger at someone else than admit they ****ed up. You want your kid to do well in school, well, then take some time and ask them if they need help.

Last edited:

MOODY

Bald Guy
As Wayne said, it's not the teachers job to morality. That's a parents job and if the parents can't do it or don't care to, then they're SOL. Blaming someone who's job is to teach about calculus or art history for a kid being sexually active....umm, wtf? That's the parents job, they should be the ones explaining what's right and wrong. The problem that I see these days is that parents just don't give a **** about anything anymore. Lets blame the school for not passing my kid because he was always playing Xbox instead of doing the assigned homework. :ugh: Makes sense to me right there. It's always someone else's fault instead of maybe, just maybe, the family. Weird.

I'd guess that 99% of the people on this board went through public schools and it seems that we call came out just fine with our education. American's have gotten lazy and would rather, these days, just point their finger at someone else than admit they ****ed up. You want your kid to do well in school, well, then take some time and ask them if they need help.

Agreed.

Kids are great at the school I teach at. 98% are engaged, eager and willing to learn, and be taught. There are the 2% that give the remaining kids today a bad name. I really think that parental involvement is lacking, (meaning at home) and we are forced to keep the 2% in classes that are jackasses insted of giving them the boot. But hey, what would I know, none of MY kids are in public education. (they are 3 and 3 months)