What books are you reading (or listening to?)

ID Bronco

I just finished Burton Spiller's The Drummer in the Woods. It is a great collection of grouse and woodcock hunting from one of the best hunters in history. Very entertaining.

Houndoc

bravethewildriver_round3_v5a.jpg

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Here are some of my favorite non-fiction I've listened to recently:

The Boys in the Boat - Daniel James Brown
Endurance - Alfred Lansing
Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand

I love anything about Shackleton. Our family motto is "by endurance we conquer" thanks to him. You can see it under my avatar. :cool:. I teach a unit on polar biomes and we read some passages from a book about the endurance. The students really like it.

I am currently reading Mistborn by Sanderson and The Inheritance Games by Barnes. My daughter asked me to read inheritance games with her and I am glad she asked because it is a good book so far. I don't have quite as big of a crush on some of the boy characters as she does, but I can see the appeal :D

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I didn't think I'd be the guy (like @Stephen) juggling several partially read books while starting new ones but, alas, I am.

I just finished "House to House" by David Bellavia. It talks about the beginning of the battle of Fallujah. He received the medal of honor. Interesting read, pretty graphic war details and descriptions.

I'm working on "The Count of Monte Cristo" (its ridiculously long) and "The Mantle of the Prophet: Religion and Politics in Iran".

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I didn't think I'd be the guy (like @Stephen) juggling several partially read books while starting new ones but, alas, I am.

I just finished "House to House" by David Bellavia. It talks about the beginning of the battle of Fallujah. He received the medal of honor. Interesting read, pretty graphic war details and descriptions.

I'm working on "The Count of Monte Cristo" (its ridiculously long) and "The Mantle of the Prophet: Religion and Politics in Iran".
I remember reading Dumas books, the three musketeers and the man in the iron mask when I was younger. I was very disturbed by the part where the mask gets sealed on his head and don't know if a book had ever caused me so much mental struggle up to that point.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The count is an awesome book, but I have started and given up on it many times. One of the movies is terrific.
I’m on page 546 of 1187. It’s dragged in spots and I’ve been happy to put it down but have found myself going back to it. The mantle of the prophet is dragging right now too so I went back to the Count but my wife picked up a couple paper book holds for me on Saturday. I started Tai-Pan today at lunch.

I think I’ve stuck with the count because of how much I enjoyed the movie (2002). It’s been years since I’ve seen it but it’s kept me reading.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Count of Monte Cristo turned me onto Dumas' stuff.
Man in the Iron Mask is like book 5 in the D'Artagnan (Musketeers legacy) series.
I've ate up like 10 or 11 of his books now. Fascinating stuff. It was about a 2 year commitment on and off so far. And I breathed Dumas for a while.
If you enjoy "Musketeers" you may really enjoy The Red Sphinx, it's the story of Cardinal Richelieu as the protagonist instead of the antagonist.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Just finished "The 4 Loves" by CS Lewis.
One of the only voice recordings made of Mr. Lewis and from 1958. An in depth lecture on the various definitions and confusions we face understandly love. Pretty deep stuff. I'd advise to just listen to one chapter at a time to give it time to digest.

Really really excellent stuff and just a 2hr listen.
This will benefit your relationships, and has made me better at understanding my wife. Truly.

Listen to The Four Loves by C. S. Lewis on Audible. https://www.audible.com/pd/B002V0JX2S?source_code=ASSOR150021921000V

Thursty

I finally forced myself to carve out time during the day to sit down and read. I’m currently reading Empire of the Summer Moon based on recommendations from this thread and thoroughly enjoying it.
Finished The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons by John Wesley Powell and am now on a river kick and listening to Beyond the Hundredth Meridian: John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the West by Wallace Stegner.
If you’re still on a river kick after Stegner here are a couple more outside of the JWP vein, if you haven’t already read them.

The Emerald Mile: The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon
Book by Kevin Fedarko

The Doing of the Thing: The Brief, Brilliant Whitewater Career of Buzz Holmstrom
Book by Brad Dimock, Cort Conley, and Vince Welch. *all of Dimock’s books are great*

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I finally forced myself to carve out time during the day to sit down and read. I’m currently reading Empire of the Summer Moon based on recommendations from this thread and thoroughly enjoying it.

If you’re still on a river kick after Stegner here are a couple more outside of the JWP vein, if you haven’t already read them.

The Emerald Mile: The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon
Book by Kevin Fedarko

The Doing of the Thing: The Brief, Brilliant Whitewater Career of Buzz Holmstrom
Book by Brad Dimock, Cort Conley, and Vince Welch. *all of Dimock’s books are great*

I've read the Emerald Mile, great read. I'll check the others. Next up is some Lewis & Clark freshen up and research.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Seems like I've replaced watching youtube and netflix at work with reading.
I've gone through the Kingsbridge series by Ken Follett, (The Pillars of the Earth, World Without End, A Column of Fire, and The Evening and the Morning)
Essex Dogs and Wolves of Winter by Dan Jones,
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline,
Chain-Gang All-Stars by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah,
and then some others that I started and gave up on. I'm kind of going through best books lists from the last couple years and have a few interesting ones on hold from the library.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
Been burning through the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson... Though another nerdy high fantasy series, it seems like the author did a bunch of research to better portray different Mental Health issues such as PTSD, Depression/anxiety, and Multiple Personality Disorder....