What happens when someone pulls a u-turn in front of you at 85mph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Leader

Incredible that you all walked away, good to hear. Those Pics are crazy, I would hate to see what the old ladies car looked like. Good luck with everything i hope it all works out for the best for you.

Have we got a proper assessment on the roll cage yet?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Its a great day when you can walk away from an accident like that... might wanna buy some lottery tickets!!

Would love to get the drive train out of that excursion for my Expedition.... but thats not a likely event...

rokrash

After I read that you all walked away I started to feel bad for the Jeep. I watched most of that thing get built by Kent.

I do not have the heart to tell Kent about it! I still have not recovered my heart from my feet. Right now I am not even sure if rebuilding is my option. I have only had the thing for two years and was dead set on taking great care of it and keeping it forever. . . I never foresaw this!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I do not have the heart to tell Kent about it! I still have not recovered my heart from my feet. Right now I am not even sure if rebuilding is my option. I have only had the thing for two years and was dead set on taking great care of it and keeping it forever. . . I never foresaw this!

I hear ya. The most important part is that you guys are ok. That is awesome. Hopefully the insurance will come together well enough that you can get it rebuilt and back on the rocks soon. Who knows, but keep your head up! :cool:

rokrash

I did not want to exploit the other party's incident, but here is one shot of the van:
moab20091135.jpg

Otherwise, feel free to disscuss the cage. Ifeel bit held up pretty well. All the 1 3/4" is stuff I put in. "X" brace in the main B hoop, dash bar with braces, and rear halo over back seat.
moab20091080.jpg

moab20091082.jpg

moab20091086.jpg

moab20091079.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Looks like the rear left portion of the cage might've been the most damaged.. Held up awesome really..

What's jammed in the t-case skid?? Looks like a bottle of Pam cooking spray :)

Chevycrew

Wow, so glad everyone is ok.

The pics tell a story that brings back some bad memories, good luck with picking up the parts and putting life back together.

Green Leader

Oh my gosh, that van is jacked up. I wouldn't say you are exploiting anything by showing us pictures its just a picture. It is tough to look at the jeep though, man that really sucks. I said it before I am glad everyone is ok.

rokrash

Looks like the rear left portion of the cage might've been the most damaged.. Held up awesome really..

What's jammed in the t-case skid?? Looks like a bottle of Pam cooking spray :)

That orange thing is my slip joint off of the front output CV. My buddy that rebuilt my last driveshaft thought it would be funny to paint it all orange!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
With them turning in front of you, I thought you t boned them. I guess I didn't catch you saying that you hit them from behind. God was watching over you all, and I'm not a very spiritual person. At least they were sportin' support our troops and not Obama 08 stickers!! :D They can't be all that bad ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Raingler

I'm sure if there's not items available for your vehicle, you could make others on the site work.. The owner is extremely into feedback and suggestions. So much so, that something I suggested he is now making, currently in R&D phase before he produces it for Xterra owners. Cool guy. Tell him SAMI sent you if you end up picking up his products.

Owner is Eddie Cline. Super nice, down to earth, dude. He is also the founder and owner of Jeeperman. He sold it to some guys that ran it into the ground and out of busines and since they didn't pay for it, he got it back and will be reopening shop shortly. You can tell him I sent you, too....

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Holy Hell!!! Glad you and the family is ok.

This is why people should be required to pass an IQ test before getting a license. And demonstrates our dependency on technology.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Still workin on the insurance stuff! We had full coverage on everything, but we will see what happens.

Jeep was strapped using ratchets. It appears that once one broke, the other 3 were able to slack up.

Why does it matter what your insurance says? Was the old lady uninsured?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'm trying to make sense of this... So bear with me..

From what you have said of the cause, '81 y/o lady pulled a 'u-turn' from righthand lane to left hand(your lane) and you nailed her with a 3 car lengths distance'.

If your vehicle hit the van from behind, is that not your fault 99.9% of the time? I had pictured in my head a full on T-bone like Wayne also had thought. I'm just a bit confused how a U-turn action turns into a 100% rear-ending.. At first I thought maybe the rearend hit was a secondary hit form another vehicle? But, I just can't tell since any 'T-bone' damage would be on the drivers side which is not pictured.

I was showing this mess to my bro-in-law (retired EMT/firefighter now Doctor) and we were trying for figure out how a U-turn would cause such sever rear damage to the van.. ?

Did she stand on her brakes at 3 car lengths ahead of you?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm trying to make sense of this... So bear with me..

From what you have said of the cause, '81 y/o lady pulled a 'u-turn' from righthand lane to left hand(your lane) and you nailed her with a 3 car lengths distance'.

If your vehicle hit the van from behind, is that not your fault 99.9% of the time? I had pictured in my head a full on T-bone like Wayne also had thought. I'm just a bit confused how a U-turn action turns into a 100% rear-ending.. At first I thought maybe the rearend hit was a secondary hit form another vehicle? But, I just can't tell since any 'T-bone' damage would be on the drivers side which is not pictured.

I was showing this mess to my bro-in-law (retired EMT/firefighter now Doctor) and we were trying for figure out how a U-turn would cause such sever rear damage to the van.. ?

Did she stand on her brakes at 3 car lengths ahead of you?

I'm betting that she likely veered across the lane into his while braking... and not making an actual u-turn at 65-75mph

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Well of course I'm not picturing a U-turn at freeway speeds...

I've had a nearly identical situation happen 2-3 years ago while headed south on 215 in the big blue 4runner. In this case, a passed out pregnant lady. By the time her car reached my lane she was doin maybe 20-30mph headed right into the median. I locked up the 37's so hard that the front driver leaf spring snapped(after inspection there was an old existing crack, but the hard braking was the last straw)

Anyways...

I guess what i'm saying is this.. It was explained that her nav system told her to make a U, but not exactly how the accident itself all went down.

My Raingler divider should be here any day :) I hope it never has to be utilized in a collision.. BUt will have peace of mind that my dog, or other cargo doesn't end up jammed inbetween the dash and windshield... If not flying through the windshield killing my wife or myself in the process..

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Well of course I'm not picturing a U-turn at freeway speeds...

I've had a nearly identical situation happen 2-3 years ago while headed south on 215 in the big blue 4runner. In this case, a passed out pregnant lady. By the time her car reached my lane she was doin maybe 20-30mph headed right into the median. I locked up the 37's so hard that the front driver leaf spring snapped(after inspection there was an old existing crack, but the hard braking was the last straw)

Anyways...

I guess what i'm saying is this.. You explained that her nav system told her to make a U, but not exactly how the accident itself all went down.

My Raingler divider should be here any day :) I hope it never has to be utilized in a collision.. BUt will have peace of mind that my dog, or other cargo doesn't end up jemmed inbetween the dash and windshield... If not flying through the windshield killing my wife or myself in the process..

No idea, every situation is different.

I'm going to look into getting one of those too. If anything it will keep out idiot dog in the back while we travel. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.