What made you realize you weren't young anymore?

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Oh man.

Definitely several things. My kid kicking my trash on a mountain bike was a big eye opener.

More white hair than brown

Donā€™t have the passion to do the things I used to. I would work all day and go home and work on the scout or semi trucks most the night. Really have to force myself these days.

Dirt biking is more of a hassle than fun this year

ED is not a problem but libido is not the same. Sex is just work

I have never really planned on the future. Figure I will have to work a half day on the day of my funeral. Iā€™m really starting to realize Iā€™ve messed up financially. Nothing saved. Wife has a retirement but being in construction I donā€™t have anything. Iā€™m sick of working 10-12 hour days 5-6 days a week. But what do you do.

For reference Iā€™m 47. Still a long ways to go Iā€™m afraid

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
When my oldest got married in 2021 and then made me a Grandpa earlier this year at 45, it made me feel old. But really the last couple of years its been waking up with some form of pain 97% of mornings that makes me feel old.

When I wrecked my dirt bike in July and still hurt 3 months later sure hasn't helped.

I used to be able to operate at a high level for a week with 3-4 hours of sleep per night. If I pull an all nighter now I'm almost useless the next day and it takes 2-3 days to get back to "normal."

Pike2350

My turning point has been my eyes. The past few months I have started to struggle to read the smaller print. I always laughed at my in-laws phones when I see the font size...but I had to increase mine bma little last month.

Realizing I will also have to start carrying readers with me most times as well.

Something about realizing I am now past the half-way point of my life(most likely) really has started to sink in.

Sitting here at 46, soon to be 47 I look back on how the world has changed and how I find myself saying "back then" a lot. :rolleyes:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
So many of the things listed.
-Having to wear glasses to drive at night or read numbers on a motorcycle jet.
-Holding sockets at arm's length to see what damned size they are.
-Not having the drive to constantly be accomplishing things like fixing cars, house projects.
-questioning if it's worth putting gear on to ride a dirt bike.
-Wife walking past in panties without getting her as slapped.
-Kids having kids.
-Talking to Hickeys kid and realizing he is as old a my kid when in my mind I'm still their age.
-Seeing a 2006 for sale and thinking it's not very old.
-I was a little pissed about paying the same amount for a used mountain bike as a new dirt bike I purchased, then I realized that dirt bike was a 2004 and that was 20 years ago.

I'm in pretty good shape physically and my body doesn't hurt much so I'm super fortunate in that regard.

One pivotal moment for me was last year. My dad shot an elk after we hadn't hunted for about a decade. While we were retrieving the animal I looked at my dad and my youngest son. I had this odd moment where I saw my dad as my grandfather, my son as me and I was my dad. I have so many memories of being with those two men when I was my son's age, it just didn't seem right that time had jumped so far ahead, it was like the twilight zone.

Getting old has it's downsides, but it beats the alternative.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Alright old guys, from another old guy, I'm gonna share something that may help all your eyes out. I had PRK done to my eyes around 2016 (I think, give or take a year) and two years ago I started to notice it degrading. Harder to read signs down the road... focusing close to far took a while along with a lot of blinking, etc... then, as I do, I go down rabbit holes and found that a good quality vitamin E should help improve and retain vision. Basically, I guess our eyeballs lose that flexibility and it's an even bigger problem with all the seed oil shit in everything now.

It took a few months of doing vitamin E every day (I'll look up the amount) and now I don't have those issues nearly as bad. It's been just over a year of really hitting the E hard. If I miss a day or two I notice... so I stay on it for the most part.

Hopefully it will help some of you other old farts.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Alright old guys, from another old guy, I'm gonna share something that may help all your eyes out. I had PRK done to my eyes around 2016 (I think, give or take a year) and two years ago I started to notice it degrading. Harder to read signs down the road... focusing close to far took a while along with a lot of blinking, etc... then, as I do, I go down rabbit holes and found that a good quality vitamin E should help improve and retain vision. Basically, I guess our eyeballs lose that flexibility and it's an even bigger problem with all the seed oil shit in everything now.

It took a few months of doing vitamin E every day (I'll look up the amount) and now I don't have those issues nearly as bad. It's been just over a year of really hitting the E hard. If I miss a day or two I notice... so I stay on it for the most part.

Hopefully it will help some of you other old farts.
Yes, please. I had PRK done and then re-done a few years later. Now Iā€™m a few years out of the second one and my night vision sucks. Iā€™m still technically 20/20 but it doesnā€™t feel like it.

02SE

Going to too many funerals for your High School friends.

The last funeral I went to, was for the daughter of a High School friend. But she was killed way before her time. It was the hit-and-run that was all over the news in July. They were looking for the driver of the truck that ran her down, and took off. They eventually found the driver and vehicle. Hopefully he'll be held accountable.

The High School friend is simply devastated.

Medsker

2024 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Being willing to pay someone to do something, but a younger me never would of considered this because as it is a waste of money.
This is mine too. I mean I'm old and fat is part of it too but I'm amazed at what I've paid to have done and then thought after "I used to do things like that all the time". The funny thing is I still do stuff around my Mom's house for her because she asks but I pay for the same things to be done at my house.