What rig would I want next? Imaginary build - IFS 1st gen 4runner

STAG

It's a solid axle. Steve would be the first one on RME to go from a SA swapped to an IFS haha

sixstringsteve

haha, so true. Except if I had a 1st gen toyota pickup I'd keep it solid front axle. I just wouldn't take it on most of my trips. I sure love those trucks though.

sixstringsteve

I like what you're thinking, but I'd kill myself with that much power in the car. I'm loving the miata, no need to modify that rig...

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
I'm trying to imagine what rig I'd want if I didn't have my tacoma. I realize there probably isn't a more suitable rig out there for me than my taco, but I'm getting bored and building rigs is fun (usually). So I'm walking myself through this build to examine the pros and cons before doing anything drastic.

Here are my thoughts/wants/needs:

- 4 seats
You nailed it. A 4runner would allow for 4 seats even if they were suspension buckets
- not much liftShouldn't be a problem with most ifs "performance" suspensions as long as you didn't do some sort of a drop bracket thing.
- nothing too radical
- ability to drive comfortably on the freeway; almost all the places I take my rigs are at least 3 hours away
- must have 4-low
- reliable The 4runner would be good there too even with added width on the front and T100 axleshafts
- pretty fuel efficient (over 17 mpg)I can't say much there other than my 03 ranger with 35s, and 4.10 gears gets about 17. Not much info with 4runners and MPG
- If it's unique, that's a plus in my book.
- size 31-33" tires. I think 35's are awesome, especially when aired down on bumpy roads, but they take away from the freeway ride quite a bit)My ranger rides great even though my tires are well... Not very round haha. It suffers from a lack of weight in the rear without the shell on though.
- ability to cruise over bumpy roads at speed (roads like those found in the Uintas, Lockhart, etc)
I think you have it covered with a 4runner with a suspension up front , bigger tires, good leafs and shocks out back, and the supporting modifications for strength and reliability.