What would Y'all do?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Got these for Christmas...IMAG2318.jpg

The deal my wife got was buy a kit, get a free additional battery. She bought both kits, got two additional batteries. When I opened them, each kit comes with 2 batteries. So I have a total of 6 $130/each batteries. I haven't used this type of tool much, so I'm wondering if you guys with some experience think it's worthwhile to have this many or should I trade a couple off for more useful tools. I've been looking at the Milwaukee LED flood light that uses these batteries too. Thoughts? In the M18 Line, what other tools would you guys find useful?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have Ryobi 18v stuff with two batteries, and they're enough for occasional drilling or a couple passes with the skillsaw, but not more than a bit, and forget running the sawzall or jigsaw for more than three minutes. I'm guessing the Milwaukee batteries are probably a little better, but I'd hang onto all of them until you know for usre.

Jesser04

Six is too many unless you will have people using your tools with you. I'd take three back and get more tools they will more than likely come with a battery too.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
even with 2 of us on a project, 2 drills and 1 spare battery has usually been enough.
I'd return a few batteries and get more tools.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Six is too many unless you will have people using your tools with you. I'd take three back and get more tools they will more than likely come with a battery too.

Was kinda my thought too, all the tools are available as "bare tools" without a battery. I just don't want the batteries to go bad due to never getting used.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Those are both impact guns, yeah? A regular drill/impact drill would be nice The grinder and sawsall have been helpful at times.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Yeah, both impacts. Really thinking about that 4.5 grinder. That could be super handy at times out on the trail.

R

rockdog

If you don't have it already. I'd get the drill driver. I use mine to death. Way better than my dewalt was!

SnwMnkys

Most of my cordless tools are Milwaukee. Started out with the old V18 line. Now that batterys for those are $100 plus. Im slowly switching to the M18 line. What kind of work do you do mostly?

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Most of my cordless tools are Milwaukee. Started out with the old V18 line. Now that batterys for those are $100 plus. Im slowly switching to the M18 line. What kind of work do you do mostly?

Mostly garage maintenance/fabrication. I've been working on getting a good set of tools together for outfitting a toy hauler for Moab and Sand Hollow trips, thus the cordless tools. They'll see on-trail use as well as in the garage. I'm thinking a couple of the M18 floodlights, that's 2 dedicated batteries, so I'll probably keep what I've got and expand in the tool department.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have several of the m18 tools. I love them, and with the extra batteries you can buy bare tools and have batteries, or if you want more tools now, trade or sell the batteries for tools. I love my impact, but I just bought the right angle impact, and fuel 1/2 inch impact wrench. I would like to get the New led work light. I have the circular saw, and would like to get the fuel circular saw to het the extra umph, but I'm pretty happy with the one I have.

Overall, I love all of my Milwaukee m18 tools.

skeptic

I have Craftsman 19.2v stuff, slowly collecting tools over the years. Having multiple tools that share the same batteries is handy. I don't know if I'd say I have too many batteries, but at 7 I'd say it's more than enough. Certain tools can really burn through batteries, I'd say 4 is probably enough to never be out.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I love my DeWalt 20 volt Lithium Ion power pack, it came with impact driver, hammer drill, sawzall, circular saw, and flashlight. The 2 batteries are usually enough for garage or yard projects, even if totally drained they only take 30-40 minutes to recharge. The sawzall with wood blade and flashlight come in very handy when camping. Next will be adding the 4.5 inch cutoff/grinder to the arsenal.

SnwMnkys

Outside the impacts that you already have. A drill and sawzall would be my first choice. Then sheers would be cool for sheet metal, and the 5 3/8" metal saw (looks like the circular saw). Grinder, grease gun and portable band saw if money wasnt a concern. All mine are geared towards construction so I have a different set of tools.

DToy

Yeah, both impacts. Really thinking about that 4.5 grinder. That could be super handy at times out on the trail.

I've had a DeWalt cordless grinder for several years. One of the best tools I have. It's crazy how often it comes in handy for small jobs, especially when you don't have power readily available. Used it a few times out on the trail, lots of times to cut 20' lengths of tube or steel outside the gates of metalmart. You'll be surprised how often it will come in handy.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to keep the batteries and expand my M18 arsenal. Between going on trail rides and my cabin property, there are plenty of opportunities to use these tools where power isn't an option.

blznnp

i use two impacts and a drill and a 4.5 grinder with my set, I only have 2 batteries, I wish I had at least 2 more. My problem is that I use them a fair amount and due to draining the battery and recharging, I have killed about 4 batteries. I have heard though that its due to the quick charge charger. The angle grinder is ok to use, but I prefer the corded one over the battery, put much force on it and it tends to shut off to protect it from heating up. Its nice to have a battery powered one but it doesn't compare to a corded one in my opinion. I love my 1/2" impact and 1/4" impact though, 18V. If you took anything back I would try to get a drill and personally, keep at least one if not two extra batteries.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have several of the m12 tools... first is the mini sawsall and its great for tight space work... then I have the 2 inch bandsaw that as and electrician you need for cutting conduit and strut. it was great! then I went to the full size sawsall and its great as well. for my grinding needs I have a corded one cause it seemed the battery just died to quickly with the grinder.

Looking at their website they don't have the mini bandsaw anymore...

Attachments

• 2520-21XC_1.jpg
    2520-21XC_1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 7