What would Y'all do?

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
The angle grinders are great... Just one thing to be carefully when buying, there are 3 different m18 battery tool sets out there now, none are interchangeable. I have the first series, they are awesome.. Then you have a couple different m18 reds and the new m18 fuel. The fuel series has some sweet new tools but I was told by the rep my m18 nor the m18 red stuff won't work, really pisses me off because I have several m18 batteries that are in perfect condition and I can't get the new smaller body 3/8 impact unless I buy a battery too, he did say the chargers are all interchangeable, doesn't make sense to me.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
The angle grinders are great... Just one thing to be carefully when buying, there are 3 different m18 battery tool sets out there now, none are interchangeable. I have the first series, they are awesome.. Then you have a couple different m18 reds and the new m18 fuel. The fuel series has some sweet new tools but I was told by the rep my m18 nor the m18 red stuff won't work, really pisses me off because I have several m18 batteries that are in perfect condition and I can't get the new smaller body 3/8 impact unless I buy a battery too, he did say the chargers are all interchangeable, doesn't make sense to me.

Huh, I'll have to look into that. Both my impacts are the Fuel, but the batteries are the RedLithium XC 4.0, nowhere on them does it say Fuel. Seems like if the chargers are the same, that the batteries are configured the same on the tool. Thanks for the heads up.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Anything M18 works with M18 and M18 Fuel. They have several M18 batteries too. They have the small thinner ones, the xc, and the 4.0 New ones. They all work with all M18 tools.

I have some of all the batteries, and my New 1/2 in high torque impact wrench is a fuel line brushless motor. I love the Fuel stuff, but can't justify replacing my other stuff since it works great still. I do want the Fuel circ saw though, more power would be nice.

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Anything M18 works with M18 and M18 Fuel. They have several M18 batteries too. They have the small thinner ones, the xc, and the 4.0 New ones. They all work with all M18 tools.

I have some of all the batteries, and my New 1/2 in high torque impact wrench is a fuel line brushless motor. I love the Fuel stuff, but can't justify replacing my other stuff since it works great still. I do want the Fuel circ saw though, more power would be nice.

I have the M18 XC batteries and the rep told me they would not work with the Fuel tool. This is good to know, because I really want the new impact but I don't want to spend money on batteries right now.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I wonder if the rep is just trying to sell more batteries...or, he misunderstood what batteries you have. I want the New fuel impact too, but I'll wait until mine gives up, which is likely never...

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I have the M18 XC batteries and the rep told me they would not work with the Fuel tool. This is good to know, because I really want the new impact but I don't want to spend money on batteries right now.

Yeah, my Fuel impacts both came with the XC batteries, so you're good to go.

EB101

I love the m18 grinder too. Nothing quite as nice as not dragging another extension cord out. It's a work horse. I have a bunch of the tools and love all of them except the hammer drill. I have an old small roto hammer so that option seems like a joke just adding weight for something I never use. Favorites in order: High torque impact, small impact, grinder, compact 1/2 drill, sawzall, then the small impact, light, circular saw.
The Fuel high torque is on my list if I mine dies too. I agree about the batteries 4 of the 4.0s will keep you happy but you might like having a 2.0 so your wife can use the drill easily too.