WHat's everyone using to deflate their tires?

SpeedyVic

Back when I had my YJ, I had a set of tire deflators that you screwed onto the valve stem. I think they were made by a company called Sun something. They were not automatic. You changed the rate of release by how tightly you put them on. I'm sure most of you know what I am talking about. I got pretty good at it and could have all 4 wheels airing down at various rates at the same time and have each tire down to 12 PSI in 2 laps laps of the Jeep.

I'm interested in getting some new deflators and see some now that are automatic. Was wondering if they were as good as advertised?

What is everyone else using?

SpeedyVic

Hmm. The ARB looks interesting. How long does it take to air a 33" tire down from 35 to 12 psi with one of these? Whats the possibility of damaging the valve core? It would be lots faster than pressing down on the needle, but I would hate to have the core get crossed threaded or something when I'm out in the boonies.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Hmm. The ARB looks interesting. How long does it take to air a 33" tire down from 35 to 12 psi with one of these? Whats the possibility of damaging the valve core? It would be lots faster than pressing down on the needle, but I would hate to have the core get crossed threaded or something when I'm out in the boonies.

I think damaging a core is pretty rare, it's not like you've got a lot of leverage and normally valve cores don't suffer corrosion problems. I carry spares just in case but I've never had to have one. No matter what deflation tool you pick I would recommend picking up the valve core remover tool I posted, it's cheap and worth having when you mess with valve cores.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

It doesn't take very long, but I've never timed it. It's plenty quick as the core is out, it's easy to operate and I don't think it's very possible to cross-thread the core, they are tapered at the bottom and thread back in very easy. I can't even think how many valve cores I've pulled and installed (several years of tire repair) and I've never had a problem, so IMO it's a non-issue.

SpeedyVic

I run stauns. I have them set to shut off at 10 psi. They work good and I can be doing other things while the tires air down.

Mine didn't shut themselves off. But I would start on the passenger front tire, pull the passenger side disco, start the remaining tires in a clockwise pattern, pull the driver side disco, then shut off the deflation in the same pattern. 2 laps of the jeep and done.

Sent from the Outer Limits via Android.

sixstringsteve

I have the sun ones and the ARB core removal one.

As far as I know, there are two different auto-deflator types: smittybuilt and stauns. I hear the smittybuilt ones aren't that great. I'd go for the stauns if that's what you're looking for.

The ARB one is quick, but I don't know if it's any quicker than my sun ones since I can run all 4 suns at once. I was worried about screwing up the valve core too, but now that I use it I have zero worries about stripping, crossthreading, or issues with the valve stem.

Regardless of which deflator you go with, it would be a good idea to carry a few spare valve cores and the tool.

Remove that there valve core with your pocket knife, wait til they all quit sanging. Put the core back in, give it a shot or two with the 'ol power tank and they outta be about 5 or 6 psi.:) Good to go.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
I've used Rapid Air Down Deflators from Rimrock Mountain Supply (http://www.rimrockmtn.com/) for years and love them. Kinda pricey, and since they replace your stock valve stems they are a bit of a pain to install, but dump air twice as fast as removing the valve cores.

Team1k

I run these valve caps that have the core removal tool on them. I used to worry some smart A would use them while i was in a parking lot or something but its never happened in 3 years. Its nice just having them already on there and if one gets lost you have 3 backups.

caps.jpg

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I use the ARB EZ-deflator, cruiser Outfitters has given me one the last two years at the RME BBQ, used one as a welcome home gift for a friend coming back from overseas. Easily worth the money and now way to screw it up.