Wheel Bearing / Hub Assembly Question

Brad J

I bought a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer a year and a half ago that I am trying to bring back to life. It needed all of the front suspension parts replaced due to wear. I also had the CV Axles rebuilt since I am this far into it. I tried to spin the Hubs (still off of the truck) & both are not spinning easily. If I spin them & let go then both stop immediately.

Should a new Wheel Bearing / Hub Assembly spin a little after letting go? Should I spend the $100 - $200 & replace these while I am this far into it? Would you go the Cheap Dura International $48/each or Raybestos Professional Grade $92/each? I think the Timken/Moog $134/each are out of budget. I figure if it increases my MPG then they will pay for themselves. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks, Brad

LJENS

A new wheel bearing, in my experience, will hardly spin by hand right out of the box, much less continue to spin.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
As others have said, they shouldn't free spin. The grease and the light seal pressure on the inner race create just enough drag to keep them from free spinning. They should be smooth and you should not feel any catches or rough spots.

Also I like to check for play by keeping the tire bolted on, raise the tire up a couple of inches off of the ground, place a prybar under the bottom and pry up and out while pushing in on the top of the tire towards the center of the vehicle, more of a rocking inward and outward of the tire. With the tire on it gives you more leverage than merely with the unit bearing or even a rotor on it. This is also a good time to check for play in the ball joints.

Mike.

Brad J

I have new Upper & Lower Control Arms with new Ball Joints & Bushings. If only one of the lower control arms had the Ball Joint pressed in facing up instead of down. Waiting for the Manufacture to get back to me since I got it for Christmas & just unboxed it on Friday (beyond Amazon's 30 day return).