Wheelin up AF canyon and traverse mountain

4mill95

Me and my wife and some friends went wheelin the last two weekend here are some pics.

AF canyon

002-Copy-Copy-Copy.jpg

003-Copy-Copy-Copy.jpg

016-Copy-Copy.jpg

018-Copy-Copy.jpg

020-Copy-Copy.jpg

024-Copy-Copy.jpg

028-Copy-Copy.jpg

030-Copy-Copy.jpg

038-Copy-Copy.jpg

040-Copy-Copy.jpg

042-Copy-Copy.jpg

044-Copy-Copy.jpg

046-Copy-Copy.jpg

076-Copy-Copy.jpg

082-Copy-Copy.jpg

084-Copy.jpg

085-Copy.jpg

086.jpg

088.jpg

090.jpg

krany

kranberry
the area you were in in the last pics is actually called hogs hallow. its by travers mountain but its not traverse mountain. its hogs hallow and if you were adventurous you could of gone up corner canyon. sweet pics. reminds me of when i would take my old xj up there

zukijames

oh man i can see this going bad.. glad ya had fun always make sure the trails your on are open.. or some of the guys on here can get pretty upset( i dont blame them wheeling closed trails makes us look bad and gives excuses to close even more trails) and as far as i know hoggs hallow is closed and corner canyon definatly is so be careful , keep wheeling and have fun thanks for posting the pics

Bart

Looks like fun rides. That red XJ looks like my son's old one, only with a new front bumper and rockers.

sixstringsteve

its hogs hallow and if you were adventurous you could of gone up corner canyon. sweet pics. reminds me of when i would take my old xj up there

I'm not trying to pick on anyone, just trying to help inform.

Hog's Hollow trails are 100% illegal to motorized use. You see jeeps, quads, and dirt bikes up there every day. But it's illegal.

Corner canyon is without a doubt illegal to ALL motorized use. There are many signs saying "no motorized vehicles, $1000 fine." And even though people think "I've never been caught", that's not the point. When we drive dirt bikes, or quads, or side by sides, or jeeps on illegal trails, it gives the image that we don't care about closed trails and we do whatever we want and drive all over wherever we want. Sadly a few people do think like this, but the majority of us are very careful about where we recreate.

there was no signs anywhere saying anything, There was other jeeps up there to. How would you find out if something is closed?

Here is a very common misconception that needs to be fixed. This exact topic was discussed at the Noob Run. If a trail is not marked, you need to assume it is closed. End of story. I wish every illegal trail had a "no motorized use" sign, or a "no trespassing" sign, but they don't, and they don't have to. As a land user, it is our responsibility to verify that the land we are driving on is legal. Kurt had a great presentation at the Noob Run that outlined the process. Call the BLM (Bureau of Land Managment) or your city offices. They know the areas well, and they are familiar with the areas and whether or not they're legal.

Before I knew better, I used to wheel up there every weekend, so I understand. I thought as long as I didn't see a "no motorized vehicles" sign that it was legal. Now I know better, and I never wheel somewhere unless I am positive that it is legal.

I'm not trying to chastize you, just educate you (and others who have replied to this thread.) We'll be happy to show you where the legal trails are (but I'll respond to that in your other thread). It sounds nit-picky, but we really need to be careful to avoid our image being tainted and to avoid more trail closure. Imagine how terrible it would be if they closed the AF canyon trails to motorized travel. That would be a huge loss. We're working hard to keep our remaining trails open, and verifying that routes are legal prior to using them is the responsible way to recreate.

I look forward to meeting you on the trail.

Last edited:

4mill95

Thanks for the heads up i had no clue at all. next time ill do some research and see whats open and closed.

is there a map with a list of open trails?

I am new to this so thats nice to know. I am used to building cars and don't have to worry about that.

Once again thanks for letting s know.

sixstringsteve

You rock 4mill, thanks for having a great attitude about it. Not everyone would be so positive.

I wish we had one map with every legal trail listed, but we don't. The BLM knows which roads are legal and which aren't, they're always a good resource. Up AF canyon they have a great map that shows each trail, and what's allowed on it. If a trail isn't marked, it's illegal.

A few other resource:
- expedition utah (less info on "rockcrawling" trails, but still a lot of great stuff out there)- lots of info about available routes
- RME has a "trails" section, where we list trails in the area.
- RME also has the "trip reports" section. Almost all of these trip reports are legal. however, we can't just assume that since someone went on a trail and reported about it that it's legal.

Land use is a hot topic in Utah. One week a trail will be legal, and the next week we'll find out it's on the chopping block. Sad story really.

4mill95

Well thanks.

I understand that we all want the trails that are open to stay that way for us and are kids.

I will for sure look in to it. we will probably see you out there you live pretty close to us. lol

sixstringsteve

Two more fun trails are rattlesnake and constrictor, out by five mile pass (20 min past eagle mountain). There's almost always someone wheeling there on a weekend. Rattlesnake is do-able in your rig. Constrictor could be do-able with the right driver, but I'd recommend sliders and at least one locker at a bare min.

We also have "little moab" out by nutty putty caves, just west of Utah Lake. But that's just a rock playground more than an actual trail.

There's a very cool trail in Ephraim called "Hanging Tree" trail. It's on the chopping block as well, as some locals are trying to get access to the trail closed. That trail is just a few miles outside of the snow college area. That is a gnarly trail, and you should go with someone who has been before. I recommend front and rear lockers and 35's, although it has been done with less before.

Delta has some really hard trails, but I don't know much about them since my rig can't handle 'em.

Vernal has some trails

Price has some (but I'm not sure if they're legal or not)

Moab has some.

Boutiful has the B and skyline drive, but there aren't huge obstacles up there.

AF Canyon has Mineral Basin, Merry Ellen's Gultch, Major Evans Gultch, and Forest Lake (PLEASE stay out of the mud/lake).

St. George has an awesome trail system with TONS of trails available.

We also have the Miller Motorsports Park with man-made obstacles to crawl. It's not a huge place, but it's an awesome chance to get to know your rig and gradually progress up to more difficult lines. It's kinda like Little Moab but more controlled and better equipped in my opinion.

4mill95

Cool i will check them out. i have lockers in front and rear. and 33's trying to upgade to a long arm kit here soon.

I wanted to do the newbie run bad hope they have another.

Can you just go out to miller and pay to play out there?

sixstringsteve

Miller has days when you can wheel on their course, but they also have a lot of events out there. It'll be best to just call them on the phone and check their schedule.

We will have another noob run in a few months. We're trying to make it a quarterly event (every 3 months). But it takes a lot of planning, so we're slowly learning from our mistakes and improving it each time. Keep your eyes peeled for more "noob" runs in the future.

Also, the "new posts" link at the top of the page will help you stay connected to what's going on in our 4x4 community.