wheeling Moab 20 thru 26May09

rondo

rondo
trip plan

Well i know folks want to know what the plan is. I've been a leader of some sort over 20 yrs (military) and i don't mind doing it again but i think we have to feel out everyones appetite for risk, plus there may be some good ideas out there. anyway after talking to Matt last night, we felt this is a good tentative plan.
Thursday-arrival. time for a short trail?
Friday- Kane creek- good starter, fun, scenic, never seen a breakdown on it, most rigs (even open) can make it. Only a couple of technical (hard) spots.
or
Friday-golden spike, out to golden crack (this takes all day)
Sat- want to get back in time for the RME BBQ, so Hells Revenge? Even rentals do this, but harder stuff for whomever wants it.
Sun- Pritchett and behind the rocks
Mon-area BFE and adjoining trails? Other ideas?

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
sounds good to me im hoping to be there

im very much in for the pritchett and bfe runs i have been looking at these trails and want to run them this year.

rme bbq will be saturday night we ran hells revenge before last year as a rme crew.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
the schedule sounds great Ron... lets do kane creek friday... I'm not sure the old cj will do pritcett but we will gladly take a passenger seat if available might even try it with the cj....

Guess I need to put the winch on the cj....

CJ Matt

the schedule sounds great Ron... lets do kane creek friday... I'm not sure the old cj will do pritcett but we will gladly take a passenger seat if available might even try it with the cj....

Guess I need to put the winch on the cj....

It looks like I will have a passenger seat open and am always willing to let someone ride shotgun.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
That plan looks good, but I won't be up for any hard trails, hopefully ride shotgun with someone. Maybe have runs on Friday and Monday for us less built rigs? Maybe I can do Golden Spike?

CJ Matt

I couldn't get in at Pack Creek and Moab Valley RV had no more tent sites so I am at Slickrock. I have stayed there before. Not the nicest but the important thing is that I will be in Moab:)

wydej

LJSean
I will be down fri night through monday. I think you would like rusty nail and or the pickle. I would like to run BFE trails with you ron if I can and the pritchet run sounds fun also, do you know which day you are planning bfe or pritchet.

CJ Matt

I will be down fri night through monday. I think you would like rusty nail and or the pickle. I would like to run BFE trails with you ron if I can and the pritchet run sounds fun also, do you know which day you are planning bfe or pritchet.

I ran Rusty Nail as a passenger last year and it was pure carnage. I would like to run it in my Jeep. With no problems Rusty Nail can be done pretty quick. I think it took us 10 hours.

CJ Matt

There has been some damage to Pritchett and they may need help on Sunday with some work to help prevent it in the future. I will not speak for the rest of us that are planning on running it that day but I would not mind helping. I know that it could interfer with running Behind the Rocks on the same day. What do you all think?
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=65293

Last edited:

thenag

We will do Hell's Revenge on Sat for sure, Pritchett on Sunday sounds good but we will see if I want to do something that hard with how little I have wheeled in the past year.

We can help with fence repair etc on Pritchett.

Maybe we will actually make the bbq this year...

Nathan
87 Bronco 460 NP435, NP203/205, D60 lockrite, GM 14 bolt Detroit, 37 inch mtr's

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
i think im out of this trip guys.

work is slow and i have the money but no truck or trailer to haul down there.

it makes me mad.

if anyone has room on a trailer for a yota. let me know i will pay for fuel to get down there.

i just dont want to drive my truck this year so i can wheel hard and still get home.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
is it true that BFE is going to have some sort of a concert over memorial weekend?

It's been that way for the past couple years. Usually BFE allows us to go into the park from the back entrances or Strike Ravine as long as we don't disturb or disrupt the concert, but I don't know what's allowed this year.

rondo

rondo
ya all can contact me on my cell 8012436753 or look for me at the campground in an army jeep YJ. i should arrive on thurs early afternoon or so. look forward to wheeling with everyone!

Olaf

Supporting Member
Yes, you can go into AreaBFE through Strike Ravine, but please avoid the upper parking area, lower parking area, and Competition Area because that's where the concert is being held.

thenag

So we've settled on Hell's Revenge on Sat 5/23. Are we just going to meet at the trailhead? What time? is 9:00 too early too late?

I figure we can figure out meeting time for Pritchett at the bbq

Thanks!

Nathan
87 Bronco 460 NP435, NP203/205, D60 lockrite, GM 14 bolt Detroit, 37 inch mtr's

rondo

rondo
this game is on!

after talkin it over with the ol crew, here is the plan:

fri-open. Meet and greet at city market at 0830 am to discuss the plan. i'm in a green YJ with army markings. let's see what everyone wants to do.

sat-meeting at city market at 0830 am to resupply.
sat- pickle, mash potatoe (this is guided by a good friend). reason for this choice: i've never run this and since it's guided it should be fun. quite challenging i've heard.
sat 6pm, rme bbq for those who rsvp'd at rotary park.

sun-pritchett canyon, then hunter canyon, then behind the rocks. this is all 3 trails combined into 1. this is a pretty hard core trail so we'll discuss with everyone to see if they're up for it.

mon-rusty nail then metal masher. the reason for this decision is my pal needs to head back to salt lake but wants to get 1 more run in (or 2). this is a great time also.

anyone: don't hesitate to contact me by cell. i'll be leavin' 2morrow.
:D