Where and what?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'm really wanting to get a bike, and I'm not sure where or what to start looking at. I want something that I can ride to work for fuel savings, and maybe hit an occassional dirt road or three. Where to start?

There's a '97 Honda XR200R on KSL right now for $700 obo, w/ rebuilt motor by Steadmans. That sounds pretty decent, right? I have no clue. I assume that I can throw a light kit on it and some LP's and ride it on the street? Again, no clue... :p

Point me in the direction of some good starter enduro type bikes for in/around $1k.

Thanks,

Jason

rholbrook

My friend has an 82 XT550 with 7K miles on it that looks nearly new. He mentioned that he may sell it. If interested I will ask him. This size bike will like the ON-ROAD trips better than the 200 will.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I may hit up the Razor pogo, good deal. Thanks Rob. ;)

Rholbrook, let me know. Thanks.

BC, I wouldn't feel right stealing your hog from you.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
You couldn't reach the pedals, so I aint worried. You could probably fit ok on my wife's Harley, but she'd kick your ass if you even got close to it.. ;)

I had an XT 550. Decent street bike, and trail bike. Not great for either though. I found it too heavy for serious trails, and too small to feel comfortable over 70 on the freeway.

Just an FYI, you'll need head, tail, turn and stop lights. As well as a horn, and at least one rear view mirror to pass safety. Just keep that in mind, those little things can add up quick.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I suppose my goal for a first bike purchase would be something A) within budget, and B) something that would be good for a beginner, and C) something that would be easily sold in a year or so to upgrade to a better bike - if that's what I feel I want to do.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
xr200 is a fine bike to learn on.
it's air cooled and reliable. doesn't make gobs of power.

my bike was a chinese knockoff of the xr200, and I used to ride it all over. you'll have to change to a smaller sprocket if you want to go much faster than 55.
I did and could get about 70-75mph tached out.
but for a beginner. that xr200 sounds great. Low seat height so that's a plus so you can get comfortable riding offroad.

I'm actually in kinda the same boat.
I beat the snot out of the frame and shocks. Just not enough travel for me.
the motor is identical the xr200.
so I got a new frame, with a new front fork with more travel, built me a frankenstien and I still need more bike.

I'm looking a crf250X's
I'd love a 4 stroke but I'm not sure I can afford one
and some bigger 2 stroke enduro's.

Last edited:

Caleb

I think if you are planning on riding it on the street (especially primarily) that a 200 will leave you wanting more. I think Greg is on the right track. DR350 would be a great bike to start with. If you can move your budget a little, a DRZ400 would be more ideal. Plus depending on the other bikes you are looking at, it may save you some upfront costs by coming street legal (DRZ400S is street legal from the factory).

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Thanks for the pointers Caleb. As for 'becoming street legal'. Is there a fee to convert to street legal with the state on top of the horn, and head, tail, and turn lights costs? Are we talking $200 for this gear, or $500 in additional costs?

Caleb

Thanks for the pointers Caleb. As for 'becoming street legal'. Is there a fee to convert to street legal with the state on top of the horn, and head, tail, and turn lights costs? Are we talking $200 for this gear, or $500 in additional costs?
For the gear, it really depends on the route you'd like to take. I still think the best aftermarket kit on the market is the Baja Designs kit. It runs about $500. However, Tusk (RMATV) has a very nice kit that they sell for ~$180. Contact me and I can give you some info on saving a good bit if you decide to get a street legal kit. However, the RMATV kit does not include a headlight. So you either need to already have one on the bike, or buy an aftermarket light.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Bummer on the DR350 being sold :( I'd have been more than happy to check it out for you.

My suggestions are DR350, XR/XL anything 350cc and larger--1983ish and newer (XR200 no way! You'd be wanting a lot more within about a months worth of riding at any skill level) and spending a little more and getting a WR400-450, DRZ400 or an ATK490-605.

On a 1K budget all the decent/capable bikes you'll be faced with for the most part are going to be DR's, TT's, XL's and XR's. I would personally choose an XR and convert it to street use. Look into the XR500's they are great bikes for that price range ;) Check KSL 4-5 times a day (seriously) for the best deals you wouldn't believe the bargains out there if you are quick. If you do find an older bike remember Utah only requires a title if it is year 1991 and newer. If it is older you will need only a bill of sale to register it. Be careful though and keep your paperwork. I had two bikes legal and licensed in my name before I found out they were stolen and that isn't a situation you'll ever want to be in trust me :(

As for converting a bike to be street legal almost any bike out there can be converted, but you will need a headlight, tail/brake light,dot tires, signals, odometer, horn etc. If you don't have a title and the bike is older than 91 you can have an officer do a vin verification and get one that way when you go to license it--pretty easy. Most 4T bikes have a lighting coil so you wiring is typically pretty easy... Hope this helps.

I can PM you if I come across anything worthwhile. I'm pretty up to date on the KSL stuff....

Andrew

EDIT: Keep your eyes open for a KTM RXC 400-620. Killer bikes but somewhat hard to find.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Here's a few that pulled up on a quick search. I think you'd be fine with a 350-500cc thumper, but I wouldn't rule out a 500+ either. Some XR600's are selling for dirt cheap these days. When you check one out be sure it doesn't bellow blue smoke during startup or while running unless you don't mind a little tlc. I usually plan on a new air filter and an oil change with any new bike.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14718736&cat=523&lpid=&search=Honda XR

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14746322&cat=523&lpid=1&search=Honda XR

A 250 might be okay ;)

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14739533&cat=523&lpid=2&search=Honda XR

A few Suzuki's that came up:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14781164&cat=523&lpid=&search=Suzuki DR

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14809517&cat=523&lpid=&search=Suzuki DR