Where and what?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Thanks for all the tips so far guys.

I haven't sat down and talked specifics about a bike and associated costs just yet with wife; but an interesting conversation was had yesterday at her parents house last night about motorcycles. She was receptive and supportive of the idea that a motorcycle, especially the type that I am looking into, would be beneficial for fuel savings over driving the Xterra everywhere. Her sister's b/f wants to buy a $15k Harley Davidson this summer, yet makes maybe $1,500 a month and supports 2 kids, my SIL, and has no license.. Anyways, that was interesting to say the least.

rholbrook

Spoke to my friend and he said that it would take $1,300 to entice him to sell the XT550. He is in the process of getting it out and ready to ride for the year but it is really clean.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
This is the best advise I can give: If your wife is on board with buying a motorcycle and gives you the go-ahead on a cheaper bike DO NOT settle! Make absolutely sure you find a way to spend a little extra and get something you won't outgrow (meaning skills improve and you need something with more performance/capability).

Every time I settle for something cheaper, older, too good to be true or not up to par it bites me hard in the long run. After a few months wives are much happier hearing I love my dirtbike so much I'm glad we spent a little extra! :greg::D:freak: than man this thing is a pile I wish I could do more with it--can I please cut my losses and get something else?! :-\

Hope this helps :D

Caleb

This is the best advise I can give: If your wife is on board with buying a motorcycle and gives you the go-ahead on a cheaper bike DO NOT settle! Make absolutely sure you find a way to spend a little extra and get something you won't outgrow (meaning skills improve and you need something with more performance/capability).

Every time I settle for something cheaper, older, too good to be true or not up to par it bites me hard in the long run. After a few months wives are much happier hearing I love my dirtbike so much I'm glad we spent a little extra! :greg::D:freak: than man this thing is a pile I wish I could do more with it--can I please cut my losses and get something else?! :-\

Hope this helps :D
That's actually excellent advice. :D The one thing that's hard (especially with a first bike) is knowing what you want. You think you want an enduro style but may really end up wanting a street legal MX bike...or you may end up wanting a plain street bike. Good luck on the purchase and once you get one, let us know so we can go ride :D

Caleb

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
IMO, either get a street bike or a trail bike. Unless you plan on just going on back roads... Breaking mirrors and whatnot gets expensive. And if do plan on trail riding, you will lay it down... a lot. Not to mention weight. You'll want a dirt bike <240lbs, trust me on this ;) I tried learning to trail ride on a 280lb KLR250, it was ugly and got old real fast.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'd imagine that I would start out doing 85-90% road. It would be fun tk have the option to hit a dirt road every now and then, like a quick jaunt south of Tooele.. Just putter around some dirt roads, probably not even trails.

Looks like I may be getting a company vehicle in the next few weeks, so that may take care of my fuel woes. I will still look into a bike since I've always wanted one, and it'd be nice to have the option to leave the truck behind.

MattL

I was in your spot not to long ago. Street worthy but dirt capable. Everything that I read about was a jack of both requests but master of neither. I ended up more dirt worthy and got a Honda crf250x. Still not certain this is what I truly want but I will tell you, its super fun. I was originally looking for a xr400 or drz400 or crf450/wr450. For a starter bike I think I did alright cause I am wussy. For me starting out, the bike was heavy after riding out in the boonies trying to keep up with other people. If you have to exit the bike, its nice to think that a lighter bike wont hurt as bad. I also like the fact that it has the magic start button. Ill tell you after being in a few locations and how amateur I am it would have been a challenge to kick it over. In time it will all be no problem.

If your curious, your more than welcome to come sit and size mine up or if you have some riding experience your welcome to test it on the street. I live off just 8000.

One thing that you might be overlooking is safety gear, helmet and boots. Just like everything else you should get the basics. RMATV has great gear prices and you can find used stuff too. You should figure in some cost with this as well as the bike. Ill attest that it works. I have exited unintentionally and glad i was covered. I did have one incident that I didn't have the proper gear and i still have sore spot.

Lastly, some advice given to me by a friend is this. Find a bike that doesn't look like its been abused. Look at the frame rails, oil, lub zerk spots and location it was stored. Look at the maintenance records, oil changes.

rholbrook

I just sold my son's TTR230 last year. I got close to $3K for it but it was street legal. To get that bike ready for the street will cost you $400 to $700 for the kit and then another couple of hundred to get your title changed, registration, safety, etc. You also need a speedo.

The TTR230 is a better Cabin bike than a bike I would want to tool around in. It is bullet proof but does lack power for off-road. It would be a better bike for your wife quit honestly. I bought it for my son who was 14 at the time and it was great for him. He wasn't the MX racing type so it was perfect. Now he is 16 and 6'2" and 230lbs and he always wants to ride my WR450.

I wouldn't get anything less than a 400 for the street riding side of it. If you do get a 250, buy it right so you can sell it in a year and not lose your shorts.

MattL

I guess I could add a bit more info. As it sits, I would not want to ride my bike for extended amount of time on the road. Full throttle, I'm pegged at 64.5 and I don't think that's too good for the long term on the motor. It might help changing the sprockets out but I haven't yet.

plaidfro

My suggestions are DR350, XR/XL anything 350cc and larger--1983ish and newer (XR200 no way! You'd be wanting a lot more within about a months worth of riding at any skill level) and spending a little more and getting a WR400-450, DRZ400 or an ATK490-605.

These are some great suggestions about.. could you answer the following questions?

1. How big of a boy are you?

2. How well do you want it to perform offroad? Just riding simple fire roads? or looking for riding some technical single track?

3. How far are you looking to commute on the highways? just in the city? or interstate?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
1. How big of a boy are you? 195lb

2. How well do you want it to perform offroad? Just riding simple fire roads? or looking for riding some technical single track? I'm thinking fire roads more than anything. I am not planning on anything technical until I am confident with my abilities/experience.

3. How far are you looking to commute on the highways? just in the city? or interstate? 28 miles daily commute from home to work and back. I think I average approx 180-220miles a week.

rholbrook

The XR500 would make a great bike for you Plenty of power, nice comfortable seat. Easy to make run good and easy to plate. My BIL has an original less than 500 miles 83 and it looks and runs like new. These bikes run really really good.

rholbrook

So uh, saw this... Do I offer some cash and fix it up?
Running this thing is work $500 up to maybe $1,000 on a good day. Not running its not worth much maybe a hundred or two based on condition. Plastic is shot, tank is dented, oil all over it, fork seals will be dried up, fuel system will have to be totally douched all th way from the gas tank,new lines and cleaned jets. Tires are probably dry rotted and the seat needs to be redone with a good quality fabric and not the marine fabric he wants his wife to toss on there.

Once you get the fuel system cleaned, change the oil and spark plug and then you pray that its not an oil burner. If you have to tear into the head, its now not worth anything. Rings and piston would be $100 or so and hopefully the cylinder is fine. Lots of unknowns here. I would pull the plug and kick it over to see if you have spark before you take it.

These were really cool bikes in their day. You could ride a wheelie for ever as mentioned earlier. Well, I couldn't, I would trip if I was chewing gum and walking. Actually, I lost half my ass and broke a tail bone when I went over at 50mph going down Hwy 89 in E. Layton years ago. I stopped after that.

Fixed up, it could be a great bike for you but now lets talk what it would take to make it street legal.

Horn, blinkers, speedo, brake light, morror. You could probably get by without a headlight and DOT tires depending on where you get it inspected. You are roughly $150-$200 at this point without the stuff I mentioned. Then you have to get the title changed and license it which will most likely be another $150. If that bike was licensed on the road then that will make it easier. It was easier back then. Check that out too.

Right now your at $300-$350 and you don't even know what you have to put into the bike plus the bike.

Seat $40
Fork Seals $25
Oil change/filter $20
Misc Cleaners $20
Fuel lines,etc $10
Tires $175
Speedo $100
Fenders $????
Brakes

There are just a lot of unknows. If you like to tinker this may work for you.

Caleb

Running this thing is work $500 up to maybe $1,000 on a good day. Not running its not worth much maybe a hundred or two based on condition. Plastic is shot, tank is dented, oil all over it, fork seals will be dried up, fuel system will have to be totally douched all th way from the gas tank,new lines and cleaned jets. Tires are probably dry rotted and the seat needs to be redone with a good quality fabric and not the marine fabric he wants his wife to toss on there.

Once you get the fuel system cleaned, change the oil and spark plug and then you pray that its not an oil burner. If you have to tear into the head, its now not worth anything. Rings and piston would be $100 or so and hopefully the cylinder is fine. Lots of unknowns here. I would pull the plug and kick it over to see if you have spark before you take it.

These were really cool bikes in their day. You could ride a wheelie for ever as mentioned earlier. Well, I couldn't, I would trip if I was chewing gum and walking. Actually, I lost half my ass and broke a tail bone when I went over at 50mph going down Hwy 89 in E. Layton years ago. I stopped after that.

Fixed up, it could be a great bike for you but now lets talk what it would take to make it street legal.

Horn, blinkers, speedo, brake light, morror. You could probably get by without a headlight and DOT tires depending on where you get it inspected. You are roughly $150-$200 at this point without the stuff I mentioned. Then you have to get the title changed and license it which will most likely be another $150. If that bike was licensed on the road then that will make it easier. It was easier back then. Check that out too.

Right now your at $300-$350 and you don't even know what you have to put into the bike plus the bike.

Seat $40
Fork Seals $25
Oil change/filter $20
Misc Cleaners $20
Fuel lines,etc $10
Tires $175
Speedo $100
Fenders $????
Brakes

There are just a lot of unknows. If you like to tinker this may work for you.
Well put Russ. I know a lot of guys love the older bikes, but IMO, they just aren't worth the work and money you put in to them. If you could buy that bike for $100-$200 and have a running bike to putt around on, sweet...but since it's not running, that's a HUGE red flag IMO. ;)