Where and what?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Hmm, I've offered my old set of 4 Interco 255/85's, a set of used IPF 986's w/ 100w upgraded bulbs + two sets of stone shields (one clear), and $100 cash.

... I don't like red flags.

airmanwilliams

hate to say it myself but jason you might find a better one on ksl that might take less work to make it purdy and running. just let me know what you decide. pm'd you my number.

plaidfro

1. How big of a boy are you? 195lb

2. How well do you want it to perform offroad? Just riding simple fire roads? or looking for riding some technical single track? I'm thinking fire roads more than anything. I am not planning on anything technical until I am confident with my abilities/experience.

3. How far are you looking to commute on the highways? just in the city? or interstate? 28 miles daily commute from home to work and back. I think I average approx 180-220miles a week.

I wouldn't look at bikes that are older than 1990's. Suspension technology had come along way since the 80's. A 93' - 99' Suzuki DR350E that has a dual sport kit would be an ideal bike to get experienced on. Or a 2001+ Suzuki or DRZ400E with a dual sport kit. Both should be able to be found for a good price and confidently fulfill your above expectations.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm alone in this but I love my ttr250. It will do 50mph all day, can be had for $1500-1800,gets 60mpg and is a decent trail bike. You're welcome to come ride mine and see how you like it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've got my sights on an '87 XR600 for a great price. Finger is on the trigger ready to squeeze.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Jason, how many miles are on the bike you're looking at? Dual sports are weird with miles, IMO 20k on a bike is equivalent to 100k on a car. Street bikes are different as the miles will usually be higher and dirt bikes lower. Quite often bikes will just sit in the garage and only have a small amount of miles, like under 5k.

If it has good compression, doesn't burn oil and runs well you're probably good.

My '08 KTM 690 has 7,500 miles on it and I'm shooting for 10k by the end of the year.

Does that help?

Greg

Admin
Correction, it's an '87 XL600R, 11,000 miles.

Seems like an high/average mileage. Have you sat on the bike? IIRC, those things are TALL and carry the weight up high.... it would probably be a monster. I'm sure there's no electric start, so you're kicking it... which can be fun when they don't want to fire up.

I put some miles on a XL650 many years ago... it was a handful offroad. :D

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
This bike is in St George, so I haven't seen it. I've got someone local looking at it.

My coworker rides an XL600R and it is a nice height for me.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the bike. $450 took the bike, now to get it up from St George.

402439-1396719712-120929.jpg402439-1396719724-51925.jpg402439-1396719731-789212.jpg

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Seriously, those lights are the first thing to swap out. I'm looking at the GMAX dual sport helmet.. thoughts on this helmet?

Good choice on the lights! I bet the bike will be faster & get better MPG's without those wind sails on there!

I don't know about the GMAX helmet, but it seems like a decent entry level cheap helmet. Lots of info on it & other known cheap dual sport helmets. - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828579

I know you're on a budget, but it IS your head... ;)

Tonkaman

Excellent price for that bike, congratulations! In regards to a helmet, just remember the more you like it the more likely you will actually wear it. Ventilation is key for me so check out how well it is going to breath especially while your stopped at a light in July

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
My uncle says your helmet should be equivalent to your brain. $100 brain = $100 helmet, $400 brain = $400 helmet. I'm usually in the $200 helmet range.
Boots are a MUST also. One wrong move and it's broken ankle. a $200 pair of boots will prevent a LOT of damage/pain.
I am also a big believer in armor jackets now...

Enjoy the bike!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
... $100 brain = $100 helmet, $400 brain = $400 helmet...
Boots are a MUST also. One wrong move and it's broken ankle. a $200 pair of boots will prevent a LOT of damage/pain.
I am also a big believer in armor jackets now...

Enjoy the bike!

Truth.

Looks like a cool bike. Give me a call if you want to go buzz up Skyline drive and get used to riding on some dirt.