Which rv/5th wheel solution for full time?

sixstringsteve

some other RVers that we follow went propane-free and enjoy it. Check out their reasoning here. Part of it is simplicity, part laziness, and part because I don't know a thing about propane. I'm sure it's not rocket science, but I think with some killer solar panels, a huge battery bank, electric blankets and space heaters, and I should be ok. My only concern is the fridge, since most fridges have a propane backup.

There's also a hydronics heater on most busses. I need to learn more about this, but it might work for a water heater. I've even seen some guys stick a wood burning stove in their bus. I'm not sure what I think about that yet, but they seem to love it.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
If your going the bus route, don't limit yourself to a school bus. An older travel bus won't cost too much more, and may give you a much better platform for an RV.

buspic.jpg

Last edited:

Caleb

Personally, I'd still want to have some kind of propane setup as a backup. Fridge and heater. If you end up with overcast skies for a few days, your battery supplies will dwindle very quickly. Now your fridge is turning in to a heater box and ruining food and your nights are going to be very chilly and uncomfortable. I'm sure it's doable without propane, but simplifying your life doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up all comforts :)

LT.

Rob, I respectfully disagree about the CDL. "Commercial" drivers license.... if it's for private use, there is no need for a CDL.

Yup

It depends on the state but Utah does not have a weight limit for personal use, recreational vehicles. This is how i get away with my tow setup

Id suggest getting a dually. Once your used to driving them, they are not any worse than a SRW one ton or larger. Peace if mind will be worth it.

This. CDL means you are a "professional driver" as in you get paid to drive.

No need for a CDL (nor would I recommend one unless you absolutely need one; as they hold you to higher legal expectations and penalties)

Kind of surprised to see this thread!

My ignorance with Utah State law strikes again. Sorry for the bad information. Here in the Land of Entrapment I am only able to weigh 26,000 lbs total. If I weigh 26,001+ I have to have a CDL. In fact, I have heard rumors of folks getting harassed by local law enforcement in New Mexico with tandem dually trailers in tow. Especially if the truck is a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton without training wheels.

I guess I should have known Utah would be more flexible. I see super sets and triples going down the road in Utah all the time. Not here in New Mexico though.

LT.

Bart

This

Personally, I'd still want to have some kind of propane setup as a backup. Fridge and heater. If you end up with overcast skies for a few days, your battery supplies will dwindle very quickly. Now your fridge is turning in to a heater box and ruining food and your nights are going to be very chilly and uncomfortable. I'm sure it's doable without propane, but simplifying your life doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up all comforts :)

sixstringsteve

fuelly is telling me that Zjs get between 13-15 mpg. As much as I love the t-case with 4lo and the v8, I may have to rethink the zj decision. If I could get 20 mpg, I think i could make it work.

As far as a bus goes, I'm thinking a pre-96 dog nose bus with the DT466 engine.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
fuelly is telling me that Zjs get between 13-15 mpg. As much as I love the t-case with 4lo and the v8, I may have to rethink the zj decision. If I could get 20 mpg, I think i could make it work.

As far as a bus goes, I'm thinking a pre-96 dog nose bus with the DT466 engine.

We've had a '96 and '97 ZJ, both with the 4.0L. Neither of them got a lot better than 15 mpg or so. They might have gotten about 17 on a straight freeway run? XJ gets quite a bit better and I was still at about 18-20 mpg with 4.10 gears and 33" tires. Unibody on an XJ is about half as strong as a ZJ, IMHO. They work fine but just degrade over time. I'd be SHOCKED to see you knock down 20 mpg on a ZJ.

sixstringsteve

great real-world feedback mark, thanks. I'm leaning towards a little awd crossover with decent ground clearance. Probably something like a CR-V

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
great real-world feedback mark, thanks. I'm leaning towards a little awd crossover with decent ground clearance. Probably something like a CR-V

At my time with the BLM we had a F*rd Escape hybrid that was actually pretty impressive for only being AWD. We weren't kind to that thing, and the hybrid got awesome mileage for a crossover.

sixstringsteve

oh yeah, I had forgotten about those. Those are definitely on the list! I'll have to look into the reliability of an escape, and if they can be flat towed. They have great ground clearance.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
My brother in-law has a hybrid escape they have but nearly 200k on that thing with minimal issues.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Steve, you might want to look into Espar heaters. They run off diesel from your tank, and battery for the igniter. I have used them almost daily for 9 years.

sixstringsteve

Awesome, that's exactly the sort of heater I've been interested in, but I wasn't sure they existed. Thanks so much for the tip.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
So Steve it sounds like you sold your house. Is this a closer step to you RV Dream? A lot sooner then a year or two or just down sizing?