Who can lower my 1997 xr250?

zukijames

Since I moved from my 1986 xr200 to the 1997 xr250 I have lost what little confidence I had.

Im hoping the added height is the problem .

I don't go fast or hit big / any jumps

Tonkaman

I think lowering the bike is a mistake. You run a risk of hitting foot pegs and frame more often and the suspension geometry gets thrown out of balance.

I am 5'9" with only a 28" inseam so it really can be done.

Do you feel comfortable while riding around? Is the problem just stopping in awkward locations ?

zukijames

Putting a leg down to make a tight turn mostly .

maybe the 4 gallon tank is the main issue

But this has me regretting getting a new bike and wishing I would have just spend the money on building my 200

Tonkaman

If you decide you really want to try it the best route is to buy a lowering link for the rear and drop the fork tubes in the triple clamps. Often times suspension tuning makes it more difficult to maneuver the bike than anything. Have you set the sag?

RogueJeepr

Here!
My dad had a bike about the same year and it was tall also. I remember someone at the sand dunes saying it was out of gas/nitrogen in the rear shock and thats why it was so tall/stiff. Something to that effect. Maybe look into it.
We never had it re-charged and ended up selling it for quads .

Caleb

I agree with Tonkaman, lowering it will screw with the suspension geometry and usually causes a poor ride and terrible handling.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I bought a Husqvarna a few years back with a 2" lowering kit. The front and rear shocks had internal spacers to limit the amount of up travel. The forks and shock still worked fine and the nice part about that setup is (unlike other options) the wheels wouldn't bottom out in the fender or chassis making the bike much safer to ride. If I had to lower a bike this is the route I would go. That said I agree with everyone above it really messes up the geometry of the bike in a bad way.

XR's are tall.. Any chance you could shave that seat down a few inches? Don't be afraid to dump it. My ATK is a sky scraper (it's ridiculously tall) and I'm 5'11". When the ship sinks I bail! :D

zukijames

I'm just a crappy rider and have to put my feet down a lot .

went to forest lake Saturday at 2 am.. Had a harder time than I used to on my 200 and on my 200 I usually had a dog ,sleeping bag , and a tent on the bike lol

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Did going up the trail at 2am have anything to do with that? ;) I'm not as confident in the middle of the night all alone and tired. Lol.

I would just put some more seat time on the bike. I think you're lack of confidence comes from being less able to foot dab when it gets rocky. I believe it's a blessing in disguise. It will force you to keep your feet on the pegs and keep more momentum. This will make you a better and smoother rider. If I've learned one thing from riding with much superior riders is that these bikes have more potential than most of us can unlock and they will consistently reward confidence and assertiveness with speed and smiles.

Plus.
Tonka rips up AF much faster than everyone and he's got hobbit legs j/k.

Last edited:

rholbrook

Here is my take on it. You want to lower it to feel more comfortable. You have three options:
1. Add a lowering link and slide the forks up in the triple clamps.(most expensive option)
2. Do nothing and get some seat time to feel more comfortable.
3. Pull the seat cover and shave the seat pad down. The old XRs have lots of nice comfy foam in the seat. One of my friends is 5'-6" and would shave his seat down. That was in the 80's when there was lots of seat foam. Worked great for him. A lowering kit will get you two inches. Shaving the seat down should get you that as well on the old XRs.

I like the last option for you.

zukijames

The 97 doesn't have much foam I dont think but I can double check.

when I bought this in also rode the guys 94 xr250. It felt just like my 200 but with more power. It was really beat up and has been pieced together . Now I'm wishing I should have gone with it

zukijames

Today kicked my butt!

started out was feeling great on 040

then to Holman flats? Then Holman trail 039?

i just skidded down the hill for an hour with the engine off

Tonkaman

Not to mention a really really tough climb if you turned around. It's trails like that one that would be even harder to ride with lower suspension. I've hit my pegs on the trail edges several times there and even been high centered on my frame